mythos

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Short question: I've read here and elsewhere that the 965G based boards don't overlock - will they if I decide to later on add in a graphics card and disable the onboard video?

And what of the X3000 integrated graphics? Enough to run vista at greater than 1024?

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Every overclocker has got enough for a separate video card, thats why these boards are never seen in the high OCing hall of fame. But search up if its BIOS is the same as the DS3 (assuming youre talking about Gigabyte since you wrote 965G), if it is, youve got a good chance itll OC as well.

mythos

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
G965 has a *chipset* clock speed lock, so you won't be overclocking it very much.

Can anyone confirm this? I'd like to buy a mobo with integrated graphics for websurfing etc (no games), be able to stick in a GPU for Vista later, and be able to moderately overclock my allendale when it starts getting slow...

Also - all the recommendations on here seem to be for extreme overclocking.. anyone have a recommendation for the best price:performance board that will allow moderate overclocking for an allendale (ie FSB 333 or so)?

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
...I'd like to buy a mobo with integrated graphics for websurfing etc (no games), be able to stick in a GPU for Vista later, and be able to moderately overclock my allendale when it starts getting slow...
The X3000 is intended to work with Vista. Allocate enough memory and you should get at least 1280 out of it. If you really want to overclock, then it should be obvious that a northbridge with graphics will not be happy about it. Get a P965 motherboard and a cheap 6200/6600 videocard that you can replace later. Then overclocking will not be a problem.