Pentium D VS XEON VS Dual Core XEON

jimbo505

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
I have seen the performance numbers between a Pentium D and a Pentium 4, but looking at new servers and would appreciate any help I can get...

So I'm looking for CPU benchmarks on the difference between 3 different processors.

1. Pentium D 2.8
2. Xeon - 800 bus 3.2Ghz 2Mb cache
3. Dual Core Xeon 3050

I know what the price differences are, but is a Pentium D a lot slower than a Xeon single? And a Dual Core Xeon make a Pentium D look like a Celeron?

I read some reviews that most (not all) of the time a Dual core can be faster than 2 singles (dual processors) But with the Xeon, I think it's a whole other ballgame?

Thanks!

jimbo

jueston

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
a lot of programs that aren't made to run on a server won't use more then one cpu, so if those programs are going to be exicuted, then a dual or quad core processor is better then 2 or 4 xeons.

but as for a dual core vs. 2 single core processors, i assume the dual core is faster simply because any communication between them wouldn't have to go through the motherboard and be limited to the bus speed but is instead completely internal...

but i don't have any benchmarks to back that up...

i have never seen any charts compareing those processors becuase they are completely different markets...

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
but as for a dual core vs. 2 single core processors, i assume the dual core is faster simply because any communication between them wouldn't have to go through the motherboard and be limited to the bus speed but is instead completely internal...

The two cores of the Pentium D series communicate over the FSB too.