Preferred SSID - Hidden SSID

Archived from groups: (More info?)

If a user clicks "Disconnect" from a preferred SSID that is hidden
(non-Broadcasting SSID) via "View Available Wireless Networks" panel the SSID
shows "Manual" in the preferred SSID list. The only way to connect to the
SSID again is to delete and recreate which is very annoying. Is there
another way to move a preferred SSID entry from "Manual" to "Automatic"
without deleting the SSID keeping in mind that the SSID is hidden?

Thanks

TW

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
Archived from groups: (More info?)

There is absolutely NO good reason to turn off SSID broadcast. Turning it
off doesn't offer ANY security. Your AP or wireless router in fact
broadcasts its SSID each time a computer connects to it, thus turning SSID
broadcast off doesn't actually turn it off.

It does in fact cause problems with WinXP that expects to "see" the SSID
when connecting. Also, if your neighbors install an AP, your computer will,
by default, try to connect to this new AP that IS broadcasting its SSID.
This behavior is by design.

Turn on the SSID broadcast and use some type of encryption for security.
Turning off SSID broadcasting is NOT a security measure.
TW

"rcb" <rcb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If a user clicks "Disconnect" from a preferred SSID that is hidden
> (non-Broadcasting SSID) via "View Available Wireless Networks" panel the
> SSID
> shows "Manual" in the preferred SSID list. The only way to connect to the
> SSID again is to delete and recreate which is very annoying. Is there
> another way to move a preferred SSID entry from "Manual" to "Automatic"
> without deleting the SSID keeping in mind that the SSID is hidden?
>
> Thanks

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I agree that you can obtain a hidden SSID by using kismet or other tools when
a supplicant connects, but there are other reasons to do this which are out
of my control at this point. Now back to the original question, is there a
way to change the preferred SSID from "Manual" to "Automatic" when the SSID
is hidden (non-Broadcasting)?

Thanks

"TW" wrote:

> There is absolutely NO good reason to turn off SSID broadcast. Turning it
> off doesn't offer ANY security. Your AP or wireless router in fact
> broadcasts its SSID each time a computer connects to it, thus turning SSID
> broadcast off doesn't actually turn it off.
>
> It does in fact cause problems with WinXP that expects to "see" the SSID
> when connecting. Also, if your neighbors install an AP, your computer will,
> by default, try to connect to this new AP that IS broadcasting its SSID.
> This behavior is by design.
>
> Turn on the SSID broadcast and use some type of encryption for security.
> Turning off SSID broadcasting is NOT a security measure.
> TW
>
> "rcb" <rcb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If a user clicks "Disconnect" from a preferred SSID that is hidden
> > (non-Broadcasting SSID) via "View Available Wireless Networks" panel the
> > SSID
> > shows "Manual" in the preferred SSID list. The only way to connect to the
> > SSID again is to delete and recreate which is very annoying. Is there
> > another way to move a preferred SSID entry from "Manual" to "Automatic"
> > without deleting the SSID keeping in mind that the SSID is hidden?
> >
> > Thanks

lewis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003
Archived from groups: (More info?)

BULLSHIT!

> There is absolutely NO good reason to turn off SSID broadcast. Turning it
> off doesn't offer ANY security. Your AP or wireless router in fact
> broadcasts its SSID each time a computer connects to it, thus turning SSID
> broadcast off doesn't actually turn it off.
>
> It does in fact cause problems with WinXP that expects to "see" the SSID
> when connecting. Also, if your neighbors install an AP, your computer
> will,
> by default, try to connect to this new AP that IS broadcasting its SSID.
> This behavior is by design.
>
> Turn on the SSID broadcast and use some type of encryption for security.
> Turning off SSID broadcasting is NOT a security measure.
> TW
>
> "rcb" <rcb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> If a user clicks "Disconnect" from a preferred SSID that is hidden
>> (non-Broadcasting SSID) via "View Available Wireless Networks" panel the
>> SSID
>> shows "Manual" in the preferred SSID list. The only way to connect to
>> the
>> SSID again is to delete and recreate which is very annoying. Is there
>> another way to move a preferred SSID entry from "Manual" to "Automatic"
>> without deleting the SSID keeping in mind that the SSID is hidden?
>>
>> Thanks

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003