Can I change drive letters in XP?

I just installed a 120G HD partitioned it into 3 drives, but instead
of pushing the CD and DVD drive letters to the end, it went around
them.. so the drive letters are F:, G:, and H; instead of D:, E:, and
F: ?????

Can I redesignate them to what I want?

thanks,
niteowl

Hi niteowl,

Sure, click start/run and type diskmgmt.msc, then click ok. Right click a
volume, use the option to change the drive letter. You will need to reassign
them to something other than what is currently occupied. For instance,
change D to M, then change the one you want to D. The only drive letter that
cannot be changed are the system and boot drives. WinXP is not like Win9x
systems in that it does not have a hard-coded drive enumeration.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"niteowl" <niteowl@NOniteowlproductionsSPAM.com> wrote in message
>I just installed a 120G HD partitioned it into 3 drives, but instead
> of pushing the CD and DVD drive letters to the end, it went around
> them.. so the drive letters are F:, G:, and H; instead of D:, E:, and
> F: ?????
>
> Can I redesignate them to what I want?
>
> thanks,
> niteowl

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:34:24 -0500, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi niteowl,
>
>Sure, click start/run and type diskmgmt.msc, then click ok. Right click a
>volume, use the option to change the drive letter. You will need to reassign
>them to something other than what is currently occupied. For instance,
>change D to M, then change the one you want to D. The only drive letter that
>cannot be changed are the system and boot drives. WinXP is not like Win9x
>systems in that it does not have a hard-coded drive enumeration.

One bit to add to Rick's post and that is once you change the drive letter
for your CD-Rom device you might end up having some difficulty with programs
you've already installed that need to be run from CD. For example if you
installed a game or a graphics app and it looks to the CD for certain
components then it will force you to switch drive letters each time the CD
is inserted. Where this becomes a pain is if you run System File Checker.
Once you've changed your CD Rom drive letter you might want to run Tweak UI
For XP. It is one of the XP Powertoys from here

Tweak UI has a setting which will change the installation path in the
registry for you. Run Tweak UI and open the section called My Computer and
select "Special Folders". Locate Installation Path and set it to the new
drive letter for your CD-Rom

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp