suipsychic

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
I'm new here, and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but nowhere else seems to fit.

I'm looking to buy a new laptop to replace my PC. I would like something with at least 1G RAM and 100G HD. I would prefer an AMD processor, DVD Burner and a video card good enough to play some newer games (NWN2, ES:Oblivion, Half-Life 2).

The problem is, I only have around $1000 to spend.

Has anyone seen any laptops around that are a good deal for what I need?
Thanks.

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Why would you want AMD? The new Cord 2 Duo mobile chips pretty much decimate Turion. Also, there's no way you'll be able to afford a discrete videocard equipped laptop for 1k. You can spec out a Dell M1210 for about $1500; I doubt it will play Oblivion all that well.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Detson's right, it will be tough to find a laptop with a higher end discrete video card, other wise if you're in the U S, stores like Best Buy and Circuitcity have pretty good sales every weekend. Dell always has things on sale and at least with Dell you can order a Windows CD and reinstall the OS and get rid of the junkware all laptops come with. I'd stay away from Acer, had to re-install everything on 2 for a friend and my kid won a Acer Ferrari that had to be sent back because of a bad mobo. Their support is awful. HP and Gateway both seem to have pretty good reputations and Dell isn't bad though support isn't great from any of the companies.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
For $1000 forget it.
I was able to just configure an HP DV9000z laptop with

1gb, 100gb HDD, AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2 Dual-Core TL-50(1.6GHz/256KB) , and a decent GPU w/dedicated ram for about $1100.

However, a "decent" GPU is not what you need for HL.
This laptop would play many games decently though.

I would plan on a budget of $1500-$2000 for a good gaming laptop.
For those Dell seems to have the best deals.
Lower end Dells have GPUs that use all shared ram which just blows for gaming.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
In regards to Dell Support, I need to give them a plug because we hear so many bad things.

I bought a laptop a little over a year ago w/ a 3yr onsite warranty.
Well I just need to call because I wore out my mouse bad buttons and one was now permanently depressed.

I called Dell and was not on the phone for more than 10-15 minutes "diagnosing the issue". (I had all the facts in hand and did my own testing so things went fast.)

They had my PC fixed on Tuesday with a Sunday call.
They next dayed the replacement part to the local repair guy who came to my house.
I could not have asked for more.