mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I OC'd my proc to 3ghz and am NOT running any games or hard core apps to really test it out, but should I see an increase in load times for my programs like Firefox, Quicken, etc? Should I see an increase in boot times? If I am not seeing any major increases in these basic things is this normal or is my system compromised somehow?

Thanks!!

Eddie

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
it is normal, if your talking about general responsiveness(app load times, small file compression/decompression, ect) , CPU's haven't been the bottleneck in that area since around the era of the PIII's. rather if you want more responsiveness, adequate ram (IE more then 512MB of DDR or better), and hard drives with fast seek times, and burst speeds, and high overall throughputs, are what will make your computer seem more responsive. if you really want to see the difference get PCmark, and run it at both stock and your overclock. but just a really good overclock, generally wont net you any noticeable improvements in responsiveness.

I OC'd my proc to 3ghz and am NOT running any games or hard core apps to really test it out, but should I see an increase in load times for my programs like Firefox, Quicken, etc? Should I see an increase in boot times? If I am not seeing any major increases in these basic things is this normal or is my system compromised somehow?

Thanks!!

Eddie

I believe you mean a decrease in load times.

Hell if faster CPUs means increased load times, then I'll ditch my E6600 and go back to my Pentium MMX 166MHz.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
A faster CPU at that level doesn't necessary mean faster load times in Firefox, etc. A browser will be limited by your net connection. Loading programs may depend on your hard drive speed and cache......I think this is what you are referring to: "load times".

The CPU will REALLY make a difference in 2 major respects:

1) it will run Windows and other background processes without breaking a sweat and you'll notice how Windows runs smoother, especially when running other applications (ie--Multitasking);

2) in CPU-intensive applications, your "crunching" times will improve dramatically......DVD encoding, pic rendering, whatever. Anything basically other than games....those improvements will be nominal.

G

Like all of the above.

Like jaguar said, put 2 raptor in raid0 and you will see an improvement, probably not worth the money but I guess you system is already pretty fast for all of your task.

Just look at the light of HDD activity / listen to them.Look at the CPU usage . and you'll see its the HD working hard.

I do also like OO Defrag, best defrager on the market IMO and this should help keep load time/boot time constant even after a while