No POST! Please help!! *solved*

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Aaah crap...

I've just taken a 5-year old computer apart and put it into a completely new case. The old one was getting too hot, and this might even be a prelude to an eventual upgrade.

So I switched out DVD writer, Floppy, PSU, video card, network card, and motherboard (never bothered to take memory and cooler off) and plugged it all in. Nothing went wrong, as far as I can tell.

Then I turned it on. The fans worked fine, the 3 HDDs worked fine, everything looked OK, but... No POST. No beep, no video signal. :cry:

The only extra things I plugged in were frontal USB connectors and AC'97 front audio; all the other connections were already there.

I probably missed something dumb... Any suggestions?... Please?

jimbo505

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Well there are a couple of things you want to check.

Reseat the memory, just in case.

I would also disconnect the front USB and the AC97 audio just in case to see if that's the problem.

Then I would reseat the video card and network card to see if that works.

Also you may want to look into why there are no 'beeps' that come up when you turn on the machine. The motherboard may have an onboard speaker or connects to an external one

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
check ALL connections.

especially the front pannel jumpers (power switch etc) and dont forget the case speaker!!!

What beeps do you get if any?

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I just had lunch and now I'm going to take another look on that computer.

The motherboard itself has a small speaker, so there's no need to connect the case speaker!

I've tried it with USB and AC97 audio disconnected, but the AC97 audio connector has to have two jumpers on it when not being used. I put these on, but it didn't help.

My first instinct also pointed to reseating the memory! I haven't tried that, but memory reseating helps in a LOT of non-POST cases! I'll try that now. Wish me luck...