windows 2000 user rights prevent me from scanning

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 19, 2005 12:03:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000,microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

I have a client who as a Canoscan LiDE 20 scanner. He's running
Windows 2000 with SP4, all updates installed. The scanner works really
well when an administrator is logged on, but as soon as a user with
lesser rights is signed on (let's say a Power user), it's not working
and it gives an error "U32SCAN TWAIN error. [T009]Error in getting
the first TWAIN data source. [T021]Unable to find the TWAIN source
manager [TWAIN_32.DLL]. Please copy the TWAIN_32.DLL file from your
source disk to your Windows folder. [T039]"

I did a search and found the file in the system32 folder as well as in
the windows folder. I also changed the permission for the user
affected on certain folders. I gave him Full access (read/write) on
the following folders/files:
windows\system32\twain_32.dll;windows\twain_32.dll;windows\twain_32.

I am using PhotoImpact 4.2 and reinstalled the drivers and software.
It really is problematic because I don't want to give the users admin
rights just for scanning.

I also contacted the Canon support, the only thing they told me was to
check the local security policy. I am not quite sure what to look at
there. I had a look but couldn't see anything reletive

Thanks in advance
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 5:51:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000,microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

Try and uninstall the program that you received when you
buy this scanner and re-install it!
Hope this works because I always get this problem!

!