Need your recommendation for a UPS

roamdog

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2004
OK. I need a UPS and have read some of the background material here and at wikipedia. And have searched some sites like epinions and consumer reports but I really only trust advice on these kinds of topics from folks here and at AnandTech.
So, I need a UPS but not for my computer!! I need a UPS to power my sump pump in the event that torrential rains threaten to flood my basement and the power goes out (which does not happen often in my area in general but is more likely if we are in a storm that is strong enough to cause the kind of flooding that I mentioned).
Therefore, I am asking for your real world experience with various models of UPS's.

What should I buy? I don't think that I absolutely need surge protection as the sump pump almost never runs (only when there has been a lot of rain), but am not opposed to getting surge suppression. However, it is critical for the pump to be able to run until the Power Company gets around to restoring power (otherwise my basement is in jeopardy). I realize that this is a terrible spec as nobody has any idea how long the Power Company will take. So, does anybody out there live in a house with a basement? If so, what do you use?

My electrician has recommended a unit from MGE UPS systems called a ellipse 1200 USBS. Has anybody used one of these? I am concerned that my electrician has not really had any experience in this area.

maxxum

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
In your case i would not buy a UPS. Get a backup generator - a 1000w unit will only set you back around 150 for a no-name brand. They can run for 8+ hours on 1/2 power. The two problems are one, they have to be vented (outside) and two, the cheap versions are loud (but if its outside there should be no problem).

A UPS will not power most pumps for very long.

roamdog

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2004
This is what I thought that I was looking for to start, but the electrician went down the PSU path. Can you point me to any reviews of any specific models of the kinds of pumps that you mentioned?

You need to lookinto other options. This is totaly off base from computers.

There are battery power backup pumps. I've seen an episode of Ask This Old House where they covered sub pumps. There are backup pumps that use the water pressure from your house to pump out the water. Check out home depot or lowes. They will be able to tell you about them.

I agree. Power your sump pump with a backup generator. A UPS big enough to last any length of time with a motor for a load will be huge, heavy, and expensive.
You could consider getting a big deep-cycle AGM battery (not a "car battery," which is quickly killed by deep-cycling) and powering an inverter, but again the inverter needs to be able to handle the tremendous current needed to start the sump pump.