How to set it Up.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I have a LAN with 1 server, two client computers, and 2 laptops. All
machines are running WinXPHome except for the server which is running XP Pro.
My mother's computer is directly connected to a hi-speed cable modem,
running thru a Linksys wireless router. The server (Dell) and other desktop
machines R in my room. The server is connected via cat5 ethernet cable to
the back of the router. My desktop is connected wirelessly, as R the two
laptops.
How do I use the server (running WinXP Pro) to control the LAN even though
the cable and router R connected to my mothers room. My instructor told the
server doesn't have to be directly connected to the modem to act as a server
for the network. Also, should I set up this network as a "Workgroup", or as
a "Domain". I've installed WinSer03 for class & have experience with
installing & configuring DHCP, but WinSer03 is a 90 day trial version and
will expire shortly. I also have Red Hat Linux that I could install on the
server as well. Can I use XP Pro to dreate a DNS server on my server
computer and, if so, how would I go about doing it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ricseb
2 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Hi
    Since WinXP Pro is not a server OS. You can not set a Domain, and or manage
    a Network (AD) unless you use Server OS (like Win2003).
    It seems that all computers are connected to the Router's switch as regular
    peer to peer Network should.
    If you seeking other types of monitoring - http://www.ezlan.net/monitor.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "ricseb" <ricseb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a LAN with 1 server, two client computers, and 2 laptops. All
    > machines are running WinXPHome except for the server which is running XP
    Pro.
    > My mother's computer is directly connected to a hi-speed cable modem,
    > running thru a Linksys wireless router. The server (Dell) and other
    desktop
    > machines R in my room. The server is connected via cat5 ethernet cable to
    > the back of the router. My desktop is connected wirelessly, as R the two
    > laptops.
    > How do I use the server (running WinXP Pro) to control the LAN even though
    > the cable and router R connected to my mothers room. My instructor told
    the
    > server doesn't have to be directly connected to the modem to act as a
    server
    > for the network. Also, should I set up this network as a "Workgroup", or
    as
    > a "Domain". I've installed WinSer03 for class & have experience with
    > installing & configuring DHCP, but WinSer03 is a 90 day trial version and
    > will expire shortly. I also have Red Hat Linux that I could install on
    the
    > server as well. Can I use XP Pro to dreate a DNS server on my server
    > computer and, if so, how would I go about doing it?
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > ricseb
  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Thanks for ur help Jack. I have an evaluation version (120 days) of WinSer03
    that I'm using on a Dell pentium iii server. So far so good. It is just my
    lack of knowledge that's getting in the way. I re-installed WinSer03 and
    started from scratch configuring it. And, I'm only creating a network
    between the server and my desktop which is running XP Pro. Your tips helped
    a lot.

    Rick Sebastian (ricseb)

    "Jack" wrote:

    > Hi
    > Since WinXP Pro is not a server OS. You can not set a Domain, and or manage
    > a Network (AD) unless you use Server OS (like Win2003).
    > It seems that all computers are connected to the Router's switch as regular
    > peer to peer Network should.
    > If you seeking other types of monitoring - http://www.ezlan.net/monitor.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "ricseb" <ricseb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a LAN with 1 server, two client computers, and 2 laptops. All
    > > machines are running WinXPHome except for the server which is running XP
    > Pro.
    > > My mother's computer is directly connected to a hi-speed cable modem,
    > > running thru a Linksys wireless router. The server (Dell) and other
    > desktop
    > > machines R in my room. The server is connected via cat5 ethernet cable to
    > > the back of the router. My desktop is connected wirelessly, as R the two
    > > laptops.
    > > How do I use the server (running WinXP Pro) to control the LAN even though
    > > the cable and router R connected to my mothers room. My instructor told
    > the
    > > server doesn't have to be directly connected to the modem to act as a
    > server
    > > for the network. Also, should I set up this network as a "Workgroup", or
    > as
    > > a "Domain". I've installed WinSer03 for class & have experience with
    > > installing & configuring DHCP, but WinSer03 is a 90 day trial version and
    > > will expire shortly. I also have Red Hat Linux that I could install on
    > the
    > > server as well. Can I use XP Pro to dreate a DNS server on my server
    > > computer and, if so, how would I go about doing it?
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > ricseb

Configuration Servers Wireless Networking