case cables

k61824

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
you know those cables where the power on/HDD light/stuff are? what can I do if they happen to be a bit too short (I'll need another 2"~4" extra perhaps) because those connectors happen to be at the back of the board instead of the front?

I am thinking of cutting the case cables [in the middle so I don't fiddle with the connectors] and reconnect using probe wires (gauge 22 solid), the question then is will interference/length irregularities be a problem? or that seems to be some bad idea to begin with?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Jury rig it... run a piece of copper between them and the jumpers :D

Actually, I don't see why that above reason won't work, but I'm sure there is a more legitimate solution that has less of a chance of causing a shortcirucit or having something go terribly wrong. You could try calling the case company, but that probably wouldn't help much either...

I don't know if there are any extension cables for this, but this problem would seem quite common to me.. shrug

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
That seems like a true modders idea, and I don't see how it won't work from a EE standpoint. It's just copper wires, and all it should transmit is very minimal current to power the LED's (which is what I assume those headers do anyways, send power whenever its accesing, nothing fancy)

Give it a shot, definitly won't hurt if you have no other way.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I can't really see anything going wrong with just extending the cables yourself. They are just lights and on/off switches after all, there's not much to them.

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I'll be happy to back up what the rest have said - this is a low-current, DC application so patching in any similar wire gauge will be fine. Be careful not to mix up the wires. And remember to insulate the splices! The use of some heat-shrink tubing will insulate and keep things neat looking.

-Brad

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Forgive for this I am not saying you are stupid but:

Make sure you disconnect the power from the PSU before you cut the wires.

Like I said no offense intended, just seen it happen to many times.... :wink:

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Heh, it doesn't really matter for what he's doing, since he's connecting the case led's to a mobo header, so the PSU isin't involved when cutting the wires. When connecting them, make sure it's off, but I doubt the mobo header would pump out enough amps to seriously cause harm before it burns itself out...

But nice warning though!