Athlon MP 2000+ Clustering CFD

Wareva

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I guess this is not the right place for posting this topic, but i couldn't find another more appropriate. Please move it if u do find one.

I just got 5 machines, equipped with 2x Athlon MP 2000+, 1GB ECC RAM an Gigabit Ethernet each (yes, i know, quite old, but it's better than nothing =P) and i want to built a cluster out of them. I really only need 1 machine as terminal, the others don't need to be stand alone.
I want to be able to dual boot Linux and Windows but i have no idea how to configure Windows XP Pro to work with pararell processing. Is it feasable?
Should I decrease the aumont of RAM in each machine and put it in the terminal?
Can any1 point me to any sites or discussion forums where i can have an idea of what i'm dealing with?

I'm going to run VSAero, Fastran and Nastran on Linux and ANSYS (FLotran, CFX) and Fluent on Windows.
Any pointers at all would be much aprreciated.

Thx a mil

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I guess this is not the right place for posting this topic, but i couldn't find another more appropriate. Please move it if u do find one.

I just got 5 machines, equipped with 2x Athlon MP 2000+, 1GB ECC RAM an Gigabit Ethernet each (yes, i know, quite old, but it's better than nothing =P) and i want to built a cluster out of them. I really only need 1 machine as terminal, the others don't need to be stand alone.
I want to be able to dual boot Linux and Windows but i have no idea how to configure Windows XP Pro to work with pararell processing. Is it feasable?
Should I decrease the aumont of RAM in each machine and put it in the terminal?
Can any1 point me to any sites or discussion forums where i can have an idea of what i'm dealing with?

I'm going to run VSAero, Fastran and Nastran on Linux and ANSYS (FLotran, CFX) and Fluent on Windows.
Any pointers at all would be much aprreciated.

Thx a mil
This site is dedicated to such pursuits.

http://www.beowulf.org/overview/index.html

GL :)

Wareva

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Thx.
I already knew the Boewulf cluster site, but thx anyway. My real problem is Windows XP configuration. Any help on that?

G

As far as I know you need Windows Server to run windows machine in cluster. But even then it's probably for load balancing/high availability. I still suggest you look into it.

Clustering on win 2k3 server

Might do what you want
Manageability

The cluster appears as a single-system image to end users, applications, and the network, while providing a single point-of-control to administrators locally or remotely.

Wareva

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
G

MPI is a programming language, had a class about that. Pretty innefficient but easy to do.

Dont really see how it would be use in a Windows cluster to be frank! If you get some linky throw them in the thread =)

Wareva

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
MPI is a programming language, had a class about that. Pretty innefficient but easy to do.

Dont really see how it would be use in a Windows cluster to be frank! If you get some linky throw them in the thread =)

Take a look here http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich2/

From what i can understand, it is possible to make a specific software (installed on a XP platform) to use the available processing units on the network. For comercial products, special modules have been developed (and there are some open source ones too) and u can also compile your own code to take advantage of the network cpus.
What i think one CAN'T do is running XP on a machine and just hopping that any software that runs on that machine uses the network resources.

I'm dual booting my 5 machines on Linux (beowulf) and XP and i'll keep posting my updates.

Thx for replying