Shopping for 35MM slide scanner

I'm looking for a scanner to scan a bunch of my old 35MM slides of
vacations. I'll most likely be viewing the slide shows on my 20" monitor.

What resolution should I look for? Will the scanners in the $100 range be
adequate?

Does anyone know of any web sites with sample scans from different scanners?

The 3 I have been looking at are:
Canon 4200F
Epson 2480
Visioneer 9220

Any comments / opinions?

Skip

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:15:12 -0600, "Skip Allison"
<cfad07@email.mot.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for a scanner to scan a bunch of my old 35MM slides of
>vacations. I'll most likely be viewing the slide shows on my 20" monitor.
>
>What resolution should I look for? Will the scanners in the $100 range be
>adequate?
>
>Does anyone know of any web sites with sample scans from different scanners?
>
>The 3 I have been looking at are:
>Canon 4200F
>Epson 2480
>Visioneer 9220
>
>Any comments / opinions?

It depends on what you mean by a bunch.
If a bunch means 5,000 or 10,000 you are going to get very tired of
scanning slides using an inexpensive scanner. OTOH there are some
nice ones for a couple hundred or less that you just stick the slide
in and let it scan. They are relatively easy to use. I don't know
anything about the quality of the scans.

True, you don't need high resolution for screed display only and that
is probably good enough for snap shot size prints.

Basically look at your screen resolution. I'm using 1280 X 1024
resolution. The 35 mm slide is about 1.5 inches long. 1280/1.5 = 853
dpi. scanning resolution to get a full screen width image. Of course
that means It looks like the letter box display on the TV as the image
is only 853 pixels high while the screen is 1024.

In Real Life you probably aren't going to see scans at 1280, 1024, or
853 dpi, but you will see 600, 800, 1000, 1200.

So you could scan at 1024 dpi to get full screen height, but then the
length would be wider than the screen.

Were it me, and it's not, I'd scan at least 1200 to 2000 dpi off
slides and then down size them to what ever I wanted.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>Skip

I presently own a Visioneer 9320, and it is not compatible to Windows XP SP2
"Skip Allison" <cfad07@email.mot.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a scanner to scan a bunch of my old 35MM slides of
> vacations. I'll most likely be viewing the slide shows on my 20" monitor.
>
> What resolution should I look for? Will the scanners in the $100 range be
> adequate?
>
> Does anyone know of any web sites with sample scans from different
> scanners?
>
> The 3 I have been looking at are:
> Canon 4200F
> Epson 2480
> Visioneer 9220
>
> Any comments / opinions?
>
> Skip

bg

I use a Minolta Dimage dual IV on winXP SP2 with no probs at all, as to
cost, I think they are now aroung £250gb
griff