modem/router + wireless router setup problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 21, 2005 1:46:41 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I've 1 ADSL modem (zyxel 650ME) wich is connected to internet.
This ADSL modem is also a DHCP server and may serve up to 4 addresses.
It's default IP configuration is 192.168.1.1
It uses PPOe mode.

I've just bought a LinkSys Wireless router. It has 4 ethernet ports and
wireless access.
It's default IP configuration is also 192.168.1.1
this router has off course DHCP server enabled and may serve many more
connections (up to 50), so I'm not limited to 4 addresses anymore.

What I'm tring to do is configure the linksys as a DHCP server, wich does
serve all my computers's addresses and not to use the modem DHCP feature.
Problem is that I don't know how to set the modem later as it doesn't have
any IP. I don't want 2 subnets, all computers must be visible in the same
192.168.1.X subnet.

How to do so ? I'm quite a newbie in such networking stuffs.
How to set up the modem. Should I disable DHCP, what IP set up to it ?
How to set up the Wireless router ? with DHCP but wich IP ?

Bob
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:11:47 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi
Some of this Modem/Router combos have a menu entry that can disable the Router part and
they can act as modems only.
Other wise connect the Linksys by it self to a computer and change its IP to
192.168.2.1, then connect the output of the Modem/Router to the WAN port as a static
connection. You can build then a Network behind the Linksys that would be around
192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.254.
Jack (MVP-Networking).