XP SP2 Open Port Range

I need to open multiple ranges of ports for market data services like
Bloomberg ( over hundred ports each). I read it some where the SP2 Firewall
GUI do not support opening range of ports in a single entry. I guess I can
put the individual port entries one by one in the Netfw.inf file. Is there a
better way of doing this? How do Goldman Sach and Merrill Lynch do with
thousands of Bloomberg users on hand.

TIA.

Ed.

Hi Ed,

Correct, the basic firewall only allows you to specify a single port at a
time. How do the big guys do it? They don't use this firewall, they use a
corporate level product and a system of hardware firewalls and routers to
protect their internal network.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"acvlee" <acvlee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I need to open multiple ranges of ports for market data services like
>Bloomberg ( over hundred ports each). I read it some where the SP2 Firewall
>GUI do not support opening range of ports in a single entry. I guess I can
>put the individual port entries one by one in the Netfw.inf file. Is there
>a better way of doing this? How do Goldman Sach and Merrill Lynch do with
>thousands of Bloomberg users on hand.
>
> TIA.
>
> Ed.

Thanks for the confirmation. Just for discussion sick. Microsoft encourage
big corporations too to adoption the XP SP2 firewall being turned on as the
best practice. The XP firewall is a way of preventing a MSBlaster type
internal attack from one of the infected internal subnet node. I think
Microsoft should make setting the port range easier. I am an IT consultant
to small financial firms of size ranging from 5 users to over 100 users. I
am a true believer of what Microsoft is try to do in XP SP2 including the
improved firewall. I am in the process of rolling out the SP2 for all my
client installations. They all use Bloomberg type of market data services
required static port ranges opened. It's kind of painful to do it with .inf
file. I hope someone can pass this info to the Microsoft OS team for future
consideration.

Thanks for help.

Ed.

> Hi Ed,
>
> Correct, the basic firewall only allows you to specify a single port at a
> time. How do the big guys do it? They don't use this firewall, they use a
> corporate level product and a system of hardware firewalls and routers to
> protect their internal network.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "acvlee" <acvlee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I need to open multiple ranges of ports for market data services like
>>Bloomberg ( over hundred ports each). I read it some where the SP2
>>Firewall GUI do not support opening range of ports in a single entry. I
>>guess I can put the individual port entries one by one in the Netfw.inf
>>file. Is there a better way of doing this? How do Goldman Sach and Merrill
>>Lynch do with thousands of Bloomberg users on hand.
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> Ed.

Hi Ed,

It's pretty much impossible to accomodate everyone, however I do agree with
you that if they are going to encourage use of the firewall internally (and
yes, that's a good thing to protect against internal attacks from an
unwitting user), they should provide for even more configurability. SP2 was
a good step forward in opening up configurability, but hopefully not the
last. Consider your comments passed along.