GigaByte/Corsair Memory Support List is misleading 8500c5

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
This is the Support Log from Giga-byte. Keep in mind that both Corsair and Gigabyte list the 8500c5 as compatable memory. The discussion starts from the bottom and goes up to the top.

Ive contacted Newegg about the issue. I have no doubt they will step up and help out, but this is a bigger issue, and its not fair for NewEgg to keep picking up the peaces.

Mike

Question : You must be kidding me...

So you advertise support for memory that isnt supported. Even at 800mhz 4-4-4-12 timings lead to crash and unresponsive computer.

Ok, so now your company has done something wrong, how are you going to fix it. Are you going to provide me a product that will do what you said it will do? Are you going to refund my money for the memory I bought?

The answer you gave me is fair, however you have provided me with little or no way to compinsate me for your companies mistake, miscommunication, misunderstanding, and failure to meet product promisses.

Do you have a product that supports this memory at 1066? If so, then it is time for you to contact NewEgg and get them to get me that product, as an exchange. If you do not, then it is time that I move to another manufacturer. Again, this requires you to contact NewEgg, pay for shipping of the product and to make it fair between you and them. In addition you will have to pay for my return shipping costs.

However I will have to work with NewEgg on this, so that I can exchange this product. You have cost me ALLOT of time and frustration.

I will be contacting newegg on this issue.
Answer - 410775
Answer : unfortunately the motherboard is not guarantee to support 1066 memory, only up to 800mhz.

Response

Memory On Default (optimal) settings
399,9mhz
FSB DRAM 2:3
Timings
5-5-5-18

SPD - there are 2 entries
@400mhz
CAS# LAT 4.0
RAS # to CAS # 4
RAS Precharge 4
Tras 12
TRC 22
Command Rate 2T

@533mhz
CAS# LAT 5.0
RAS # to CAS # 5
RAS Precharge 5
Tras 15
TRC 30
Command Rate 2T

Now 533 has slower timings, but is Much faster overall when set to 533mhz. The lkink Bellow has my memory settings. I cant open it without submitting first, or it may crash.

Mike

Answer : Hi
what is the model # of the memory you have and can you provide us with an link for the memory. Is this the same one as you have from the below link?

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/TWIN2X2048-8500C5.pdf

Also please download the cpu-z software from www.cpuid.com and let us know what the memory clock speed is detected at on default values.

Thank you

Question : The DDR rate is actually 4 times the FSB on the Core 2 duo.

Hence a 266fsb with a 4 multiplier has a 1066 rate (it actually comes out to be 1067)

I have a X6800 so my Multiplier is 11 and all core 2 duo processors have a stock 266 FSB.

A 533 FSB would require me to run my processor at under 6, without overclocking the processor. And would result in a very high overclock on the motherboard. Hence your answer is a bit off key, and wrong.

The problem has been in some of the language. Gigabyte marks a 533 memory speed at stock values as a 2 x memory multiplier, while many other people consider this to be a 1:1.

What matters to me is that the 266 fsb with a memory multiplier of x4 (1067 mhz) a voltage of +.4 and a timing of 5-5-5-15; will not work. If you look up on corsairs website, and look at the 8500c5 1gig x 2 (2 gig total) memor y modules you will see that these are the specifications they have set for their memory.

You would also notice that I had this running fine on a Asus P5B mobo, on stock settings. I also would like to note, that I am NOT overclocking this motherboard for any of these tests, and once again would like to state that I am running everything on Optimized settings except for manually setting the above.

Now I do not know what the other 4 memory settings should be set to after the 5-5-5-15, and cant seem to find this information, so I leave them to auto. Your Mobo reads the 8500c5 as 800 MHz memory, and yet you list the 8500c5 memory specifically as supported memory in your list.

I have stated that I dont Overclock this machine over and over again, and as you can see, I know what is going on here. I also dont understand why I havent gotten a single answer or suggestion from Giga-Byte, and continue to get a dance around the topic.

If it is a fundimental flaw in the design of the motherboard then I will have to return the MoBo back to NewEgg at your expense. If the problem is BIOS related and is a result of my specific setup (a X6800 with Corsair 8500c5) and you can acknowledge that their is this problem and that it is beign worked on and will be fixed, I will be patient.

I am not happy about the idea of changing Motherboard companies again, due to lack of support, and expect more from Giga-Byte then I do from Asus. I feel a sinking feeling that I am going to be stuck with finding a product that supports my hardware, and once again having to go through the new mobo rutine.

Drain Water Supply, unhook/cut water hosing, remove motherboard, remove waterblock from Mobo, remove CPU, replace hardware on MOBO to protect CPU, Add Waterblock and CPU to Mobo, Put new MOBO in case, Rewire the whole case to fit the new MoBo, re-route water hose on new motherboard. Add more non-conductive, non-corrosive liquid, check for leaks on another powersupply (1 day later), add a floppy drive, Re-install windows, update drivers, install all software, etc...

Please dont waste my time anymore. Tell me what to do and I will do it. If your product works with this configuration, then go down to your lab, install a X6800 processor on the 965 express GS3 product with the $400 Corsair 8500 c5 at 1066mhz with memory timings of 5-5-5-15 and a +.4v and then try and load the product up with windows. If this works, contact me and tell me what to do... If it doesnt, then tell me it doesnt, and then say... "We are looking into it". Then Please keep me informend. I need to know the results of the research that will come from this.

Thanks
Mike

Please note that you are running ddr which doubles the data rate. For an 1066 processor it should only be clocked at 533fsb under bios which operates it at 1066.
Anything higher is overclocking the fsb which the results from that are not guarantee

Thank you

Question : When I push Ctrl+F1 and then the MIT option in bios... Load Optimal Settings, it shows the memory at 800mhz, though it is not enabled for change.

I dont know what this CPU-Z software is. I have the CPU OC program and the iCool program.

I dont know if their is anything else I can do. Your memory list shows the 8500c5 under the 800 Mhz list. You dont even have a 1066 mhz list.

This memory was very expensive, and I bought the board because it was listed as supported. Have you even gotten it to run at 1066?
Answer - 408601
Answer : At default spec how fast does it detect the memory at using CPU-Z software?

Question : Its stable until I set it to 1066 Mhz.

I will overclock, and it runs great... Only problem is that the machine farts out as the memory reaches 1ghz!

A change to 1066 at default settings will have it freeze, requiring me to reset the bios to get it going again.

with no settings changed and you loaded the defaults under bios will it POST and operates properly?

Question : The machine will not post, and will freeze with your default settings and a Memory Voltage of +.4v, a Memory Multiplier of 4, and either auto or 5-5-5-15 memory settings. It is not overclocked. It MAY have run under the default f4 bios, but I set thoose settings up, then I almost immediate flashed it. After flashing the Bios, the machine would show your Gigabyte is great screen, but nothing would respond.

The Asus ran the machine at 1066mhz.

I love the Giga-Byte. It is running great, and I am able to adjust settings on it... The Asus P5B lists X6800 as a compatible CPU, however it is not. It runs only on default settings.

with the conroe processor only 266mhz is required to be set, anything higher would be consider overclocking and may not be fully stable. At default specs with no settings changed any issue?

Question : I have Corsair 8500c5 memory, and am having problems setting it up to run at 1066mhz. I raise the memory voltage to 2.2v, and then try to raise the memory multiplier to 4. It fails to post and all I get is you GigaByte window.

I own a Asus p5B, that didnt seem too compatable with my system, it ran everything fine until you tried to change the settings. Then it would fail Prime95.

When the Giga-Byte fails to post due to a incompatable change in Bios settings, the only way to fix it is to take out the CMOS battery and then short hit the jumper.

Is their a better way to revert to the last BIOS settings on this board. I know that if the ASUS failed to post, all you had to do was turn off the power on the PSU and then it would revert back. The Battery location on this board is in the worst place I have ever seen. And its VERY hard to get too and replace. It can take me 10 minutes to get the thing out and back in.

Thanks
Mike

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-965P-DS3
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 1.0
BIOS Ver : F7
Serial No. :
Purchase Dealer : NewEgg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : ATi Model : x1900xtx
CPU Brand : Intel Model : x6800 Speed : 3.0ghz
Operation System : Win XP 64-bit SP : 2
Memory Brand : Corsair Type : DDRII
Memory Size : 2 gigs Speed : 800
Power Supply : 550 W

Corsair 8500c5

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Letter to Corsair:

The memory is not supported as stated in both GigaByte and your website. The following is a long conversation with Gigabyte, that took weeks. I am tired of the 8500c5 memory, and am requesting to return it. I will bought the item from NewEgg, and will be buying a set of memory from them as a replacement. I will have a email of a NewEgg Representative. In addition, I expect Corsair to pay for the return shipping to NewEgg, after I get the new memory. I am going to opt for a lower speed memory, due to the complete lack of support fromt the multiple vendors (Asus, and Gigabyte) of the current Memory. I am currently selling my Asus Motherboard, and will be loosing $100 on the deal, if infact someone bids on it on Ebay. I also expect you or Gigabyte to re-emburse and make right the cost associated with NewEgg. I would personally request the $100 I lost on my Asus p5b motherboard. But I am going to swollow the cost.

I am not happy.

Http:xxxx <-Ticket information

I will be getting an email to a NewEgg repressentative.

Mike

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Since I bought both of these parts from NewEgg I have contacted the local rep from NewEgg that visits us Tomshardware guys... I will keep everyone in touch with what happens...

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
greenjelly, it sounds as if you have had a rough time of it. I'll assist you in any way I can.

Based on what you have posted here, I can't see the need to return our memory unless you actually believe it to be defective. Our warranty service is the best in the business. Bottom line is, it will run at its rated speeds or we will replace them. In this case, I certainly hope Newegg can help you get your gear sorted to your satisfaction.

I do see some errors in the posts above. If you'd like me to help you troubleshoot the system, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll stay out of it until you get some sort of answer from Newegg. By reputation, Newegg is very reputable so I hope they can assist you here. If not, let us know.

Forum: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=128

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
If you can get it to run at 1066, then the problem would be solved.

Otherwords, Corsair and Giga-byte has to change their compatability list, and work with Newegg, insureing that I can return this product for one that works as it is stated. Corsair and Gigabyte may also want to telk to each other, to solve this issue. If you could tell me that a BIOS update will fix the problem, then I will wait for a BIOS update. Without some conversations between all the parties involved, then we may not be able to fix the issue. This will leave me disillusioned about Corsair and Gigabyte.

I am going to call Corsair again tomorrow, but I dont expect much difference. I dont know what Corsair and Gigabyte are thinking, but if they burn their customers, their customers will burn them back.

NewEgg is amazing. They are an extremely ethical and fair company. I have full faith in Newegg. I exclusively shop at NewEgg for all of my electronics needs, and will continue to do so. Why? Because of their extreme care, kindness and fairness. I will praise NewEgg, and recommend them to EVERYONE until either I die, or NewEgg changes into something that isnt what they are now.

Newegg didnt provide me the information that I used to make these purchasing decisions. Many times they have stepped up and taken the responsibility of their product providers. But thats just not fair and even they can only do so much. Ive had this memory for more then a few months. Thats way past their return policy. In the past NewEgg has made exceptions, but that is unreasonable in this case.

I paid for 1066 Mhz memory. I paid ALLOT for 1066mhz memory, yet I am stuck with 800 MHz memory that runs at 5-5-5-15. This is horrible performance, when compaired to memory half the cost of the memory I bought.

I expect someone to do whats right. I can send Corsair the amount I paid, and maybe they can replace my memory with two sets of lower costing modules that will meet my requirements while also providing me with a reasonable solution. I am flexible in this. I try and to be fair, and I try hard to live a ethical life.

NewEggs TomsHardware Representative is...
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=profile&mode=viewprofile&u=57900

Please feel free to contact him about any arrangements you think are fair. This is about ethical business practices. I beleive you personally are an ethical person, and I beleive Corsair and Giga-byte are ethical companies. I just am not in the position to fix this issue myself, and need someone from these companies to stand up.

I am within the return period of my motherboard, but I fear that no solution will be able to handle both the X6800 and the Corsair memory. I need a motherboard that will be able to overclock the X6800 in a few years when I actually need the speed. I beleive the DS3 is a motherboard that could do that.

I would hate to replace my motherboard (reason as stated above).

Mike

Last message from me and Gigabyte
Michael
Sent : 11/2/2006 05:02
Question : Your memory compatability list states that this memory is compatable. It never mentions that it will not support its labeled and advertised settings.

Dont deny your responsibility or your mistake. It is clear that the product literature is false and misleading. I am pursue-ing a return of the memory, and not the motherboard. However, I am extremely disapointed and upset at GigaByte.

You state you support a memory, yet you clearly do not support the memory, at its SPD settings. Does Giga-byte have an office in or near Rochester NY?
Answer - 412310
Answer : The board should be able to function with all memory, but memory which are overspec such as the ones you have. It will be able to run at the lower default speed, but if you wish to set it to the speed of the memory speed it will not be guarantee to work or be fully stable

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Well, if the memory is not defective, the CPU is not defective, and the MOBO is not defective then we should be able to get it working IF the MOBO is capable of a good OC. It seems as if you have good cooling if you still have water on the CPU.

Can you please list all of your bios settings that relate to voltages, CPU, and memory. Make sure you include the CPU multiplier you are using also.

Keep in mind that both the CPU and the memory seem to be working as advertised. However, the 965 chipset and that MOBO specifically does not officially support 1066 memory speeds.

To get your CPU to run the memory at 1066mhz, you will need to use a divider. When you select 800mhz for memory and 266mhz for CPU, you are using a 2:3 divider. So, you'll need a FSB of 355mhz to get the memory to 1066mhz. Needless to say, you'll need to lower your CPU multi to about 7 or 8 to accomplish this.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
If the P965 chipset cannot support 1066mhz memory, then Corsair shouldnt list it as supported on there website. The same goes for the Gigabyte site. At $400 for a pair of this memory, it should run as specified. I dont see anything else as beign relative. However lets do some debugging.

I use a 4 memory multiplier, 11x CPU multiplier, 1.4v or stock on core, 266mhz FSB, 5-5-5-15 memory, +.4v memory and I can manually set all other values to default. The only values I dont have settings for are the last memory settings.

What makes me really frusterated is that the Memory doesnt even run at 800 4-4-4-12 with a +.4v memory clock speed.

The highest Ive gotten this memory to run is around a 320mhz FSB 5-5-5-15 at around 950mhz overall memory speed. 1.4125vCore, +.1vMCH, +.1vFSB. I found that I could decrease the vMCH to normal, without any preceived difference. An increase in the memory multiplier at this point would bring the Memory Speed to just under 1066, but would again fail. I use Wusy's guide as a general instruction on features to disable when OCing.

The handycap seems to be the bios limitations on the X6800 OCed, but I am sure this is pushing the memory/mobo combination limitations. At 320mhz, the board runs prime and memtest, but starts to fail in other areas (as far as I can tell). Seems that the Southbridge functions start to fail at these speeds. ATA devices start to fail, soundcard, etc.

I havent Overclocked this much, and dont plan on doing so. The system just wasnt made for overclocking at this point. I built the system for advertised stock performance, which was suppose to be X6800 at around 3ghz and 1066mhz memory.

Does the 975 chipset support 1066mhz? Why did the Asus mobo clock the memory and run fine at 1066? Ive tried pushing the vMCH and the vFSB, but that makes little difference.

The system runs cool at all the above settings (>55c). In addition, I have lots of Air Cooling on the Mobo. I havent tried lower CPU multipliers. I find that the P5B and DS3 the MoBo's have a problem with the X6800 in OC applications. The gigabyte is much more acceptable at OCing the X6800, were as the Asus P5B would run the CPU very hot.

Mike

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
"In addition, in our lab tests we were not able to get any Intel Based system over about 1030 MHz and the Gigabyte DS3 was about the same,"

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=267464&posted=1#post267464

This is for the DQ6... I have the DS3...
Points to
http://tools.corsairmemory.com/testreports/report_print.aspx?r_id=12419&p_id=11557&m_id=550

The market place has become full of companys providing false and misleading information. I am running out of steam for this type of behavior.

Mike

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
If the P965 chipset cannot support 1066mhz memory, then Corsair shouldnt list it as supported on there website.
You have misquoted me here and misunderstood the information provided. 1066mhz memory is not "OFFICIALLY" supported. No chipset currently made officially supports 1066mhz memory speed.

From the PC8500C5 PDF:
The Fine Print: Every part is tested in Corsair's factory at 1066MHz, but your actual results may vary depending on the overclocking margin of your CPU and motherboard.
Your CPU and memory are perfectly capable of running this memory at it's rated speed but ONLY if you OC.

As to your debugging suggestion, that's a good idea.

I use a 4 memory multiplier, 11x CPU multiplier, 1.4v or stock on core, 266mhz FSB, 5-5-5-15 memory, +.4v memory and I can manually set all other values to default. The only values I dont have settings for are the last memory settings.
What are referring to as a memory multiplier? I have never heard this term. Also, as I stated above, you will need to lower your CPU multiplier to get your FSB anywhere near high enough to run the memory at 1066mhz.

I havent Overclocked this much, and dont plan on doing so. The system just wasnt made for overclocking at this point. I built the system for advertised stock performance, which was suppose to be X6800 at around 3ghz and 1066mhz memory.
Again, you bought MOBOs that are potentially capable of this type of speed but, you have to OC to get there.

Have you tried the settings I listed above? You can probably solve most of this by dropping the CPU multiplier somewhat and then raising the FSB to about 355mhz x 9 (3.19ghz) or 355 x 8 (2.84ghz) . Then, you will have your CPU right at its stock speed, the memory at 1066mhz, and all is well.

FWIW, the ASUS MOBOs have been OCing very well from what I have seen. You stated that it ran fine but, that the MOBO ran the CPU a bit hot. This seems to be a reporting error, not a hotter CPU, and should be fixed with the latest bios.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I see that there are 2 threads relating to this over at the HoH:

(See Post # 7) http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52610

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=267464&posted=1#post267464

It would simplify things to pursue this at one or the other but not both.

Based on these threads I don't think you have gotten a firm grasp on your system, what you bought, and how to make it all work together. Google is your friend. There are literally thousands of people posting around the internet running their memory at DDR1066 or faster.

For example: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=109719

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115217

Additionally, if you are concerned with your memory speed, yet you want to run the system at "stock" settings try this.

CPU-Stock
Memory Frequency 400mhz or DDR800 if you prefer and set the memory timings manually to 4,4,4,12. Then, your MOBO/chipset are not OCed. Your memory will be running at the same speed as a set of PC6400C4 modules.

Best of luck to you. Please let me know how you work out.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Based on these threads I don't think you have gotten a firm grasp on your system, what you bought, and how to make it all work together. Google is your friend. There are literally thousands of people posting around the internet running their memory at DDR1066 or faster.

The first thread was an ATTEMPT at finding the right memory for me to run, and was originally posted at the time I was buying this system. This obviously failed. In addition, their simply wasnt that much information out at the time I bought the X6800, and there still isnt much information out on OCing the X6800.

Infact allot of people are having problems OCing this chip with any motherboard. Hopefully things will get better for us.

so your right, at the time I purchased this system I didnt know what to buy, so I went to corsair to ask them what I should buy. hence the first post. My problem was that the people answering the questions didnt know of the problems OCing the X6800, and I didnt come away with the feeling that to run 1066 mhz memory on a intel chip that advertises a 1066 fsb wouldnt be considered overclocking.

Memory Multiplier is the term many used as they ratio in the bios from FSB to Overall Memory Speed. Here many people say 1:1 is 566, while on the gigabyte, I beleive it is considered 2:1. There is an option for a 4:1, which is where we get 1066 (actually comes out as 1067 due to rounding off the FSB). I have heard this called other things too.

As far as that OCing thread for the Gigabyte... I have been looking for that for awhile... there is even a thread on this site asking someone, cause that guy posted it here.

He didnt run a X6800, and ofcourse I have never run a multiplier of 7... However I have found that the X6800 is a PITA to overclock, and becomes unreliable. I dont know if the X6800 is a seperate design, or is selected out of the e6600,e6700,x6800.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Infact allot of people are having problems OCing this chip with any motherboard. Hopefully things will get better for us.
That should happen with bios updates. And, if you have not sold it yet, I would hold onto the ASUS MOBO for a few days, if you can afford to. If nothing else, it gives you 2x better chance to get the system rocking by having 2 MOBOs to experiment with.

As far as the memory multiplier, I mostly see the terms divider or ratio used. IIRC, the most popular dividers/ratios on these 965 MOBOs so far (other than 1:1) are a 2:3 and a 4:5 divider.

You have an awesome CPU and with a bit of tuning and tweaking, IF you are willing to OC, you should be able to run it at 3.7ghz+. You have (or had) water cooling and even at stock Vcore those CPUs are screamers.

Again, the bottom line is that Corsair wants satisfied customers and that's why I'm here. If there is anything at all I can do to help, please ask.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
In this case, it could be several things. 950mhz @ 1:1 is only 237.5 on the CPU. That's not even back to stock FSB, regardless of the multi.

1. Your chipset could simply be topping out as it only "officially" supports 800mhz operation.
2. Bios bug, some of these 965 board have very odd ranges where they won't boot. Since you are at such a low multi and running 1:1, try booting with a much higher FSB such as 355mhz, or 400mhz, or 450mhz.
3. You may need to increase some voltages. As an official Corsair rep I cannot give you specific voltages and you are OCing at your own risk. However, those OCing guides I linked should help.
4. Make sure your memory voltage is at 2.1v

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I tried the above, running a large FSB (in the 500mhz range)...

I just got off the phone with a giga-byte rep, and he stated that they can only gauranty that the memory they have WILL run at 1066 but cannot gauranty the motherboard.

I dont know what to do. I am thinking of returning the DS3 for the DQ6. This was recommended by the tech rep. He also suggested I check the amps on the PSU, which should be 32 amps for a single 12 volt rail, and 34 amps on a duel 12 volt rail. The Ultra X2 has a duel 16 & 17 amp rail.

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=52&pPath=407&productID=407

Sounds like your company will not support a replacement of items.

I would like to know what the last 3 settings of the memory is. I wrote down the names of these params but forgot to bring down my notes.

Also the guide for OCing you gave me is for Asus P5B Deluxe. I have been looking for the Gigabyte DS3 OC guide. It also apears that this X6800 isnt supported totally by Gigabyte, or doesnt OC as good as the other intel core 2 duo chips.

Mike

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
We absolutely WILL replace any product of ours that is defective! Please don't get the idea that we are trying to duck any responsibility in this issue. It's just that I don't think the memory is the culprit in this case.

In the links above, the first link is a specific Gigabyte DS3 thread:

DS3: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=109719

I just got off the phone with a giga-byte rep, and he stated that they can only gauranty that the memory they have WILL run at 1066 but cannot gauranty the motherboard.
That sounds odd to me. Has Gigabyte offered to replace or upgrade the MOBO? If so, you may want to try it. If you base it on retail cost, I'd say the DS6 has a better chance of having a better chipset (ie a better bin or grade of 965) than the lower model.

Also, read the ASUS P5B link and see if you might want to give the ASUS another try.

Also, in the past, Ultra has made some great looking but very poorly performing PSUs. The rails listed on your spex are absolute bare minimum and that rating is an optimal rating. In real world usage you are probably getting a lot of AC ripple or "noise" in which can also hinder stable operation even at stock speeds. So, when you add the extra load of OC it's best to have a VERY high quality PSU with low noise and solid rails that exceed your minimum spex.

Outside of the 4 listed timings and the voltage, Corsair recommends all other settings to be MOBO/bios defaults.

Data PDF 8500C5: http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/TWIN2X2048-8500C5.pdf

XMS Qualifications: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52348

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
NewEgg has just stepped up offering to return the DS3, and I will purchase a DQ6 without any restocking fee.

This will end up costing me the shipping back fee.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=67481

As you have stated, in the PAST ultra has had problems with their powersupplies. Given another chance I would have bought a MORE powerfull powersupply. Currently Ultra is using a company that builds very high quality powersupplies. Infact many people I have talked to who use to hate Ultra, now admit that they cleaned up their act.

I am considering using a Relay and a second powersupply to unload the PSU a bit more, but mostly to reduce the fan speed. I dont think anything but the Motherboard uses the 12v rail, though maybe the videocard does.

I should have spent the extra $50 on the better motherboard. You would have though I should have learned my leason with the P5B.

Mike.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
What is the ACT to ACT Delay
Rank Write to Read Delay
Write to Precharge Delay
Refresh to ACT Delay (which is set on MoBo to 0)
Read to Precharge Delay

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
What is the ACT to ACT Delay
Rank Write to Read Delay
Write to Precharge Delay
Refresh to ACT Delay (which is set on MoBo to 0)
Read to Precharge Delay
Corsair does not change those settings when qualifying memory. You will need to set them to the default bios setting. However, if you want to experiment with them, you can research the terms at www.rojakpot.com and try to tune them manually.

And, good news from Newegg I see. As I said, they have a good reputation. Hopefully the DS6 will perform like you need it to.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Good reputation is an understatement. They are the best company I have ever worked with... No second place, but first. I havent delt with any company that even comes NEAR to their service.

Corsair does not change those settings when qualifying memory. You will need to set them to the default bios setting. However, if you want to experiment with them, you can research the terms at www.rojakpot.com and try to tune them manually.
What is the defaults for these motherboards?

Sorry, but my experiance with Corsair, Asus, and Gigabyte are not anywhere near the experiance I have had with Newegg. These companies have much to be gained in their customer service. Also the information provided to consumers is very poor. I am not new to building machines, but I have never experianced anything like this.

Sorry, but corsair have much work to do to inform their customers better. I am happy that you helped me. I appreciate it.

Thanks
Mike