problem with linksys wmp11 PCi wireless networking adapter.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

problem with linksys wmp11 PCi wireless networking adapter.

Historically, installing this device on a friend's Gateway PC has been
problematic. However, it can be made to work.
The person who installed it before me had difficulties which were resolved
with linksys by downloading new drivers, and at their suggestion switching
PCi slots.

I reinstalled Windows XP on this PC recently. Before I did so I removed the
card physically because I know the card didn't come with the computer(I
wanted to avoid any problems if I used Gateway's recovery CDs).

Once the OS was working (I didn't use the Gateway drivers and application
CDs only the XP OS CD) I then installed the card. Upon rebooting, Windows saw
a new PCI card and recognized it as a network adapter.
Several attempts to install it via the Add new Hardware Wizard and Linksys's
setup program failed. The device was listed in Device Manager as an unknown
device. I tried it several times through reboots and shutdowns in both safe
and regular modes. Sometimes the hardware wizard would say it couldn't find
the file wmp11.sys. I would then locate manually from the linksys driver CD
and harddisk copies but neither would work. Other times it wouldn't complain
about the file, but in either case it only tell me it was unable to install
the device. The setup program from linksys would complete witout any error
but the device would stay uninstalled. I tried versions of drivers from
linksys's site and I'd get the same things. I also tried to ugrade the
firmware on the card but that also didn't work. The program would only run
without any error.

Eventually, I ran microsoft update on the computer and the device suddenly
installed and worked properly. I tested it out and rebooted and shutdown
several times and all was working.

I now receive word that the device is no longer seen as installed and
windows reports it as new PCI card and attempts to install aren't working.
The info I have as to what may have precipitated this was the PC was running
for a long time and when it rebooted this occurred.

I have to tackle this problem again, so any advice or ideas would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks much,

George

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:49:02 -0700, George B. wrote:

> problem with linksys wmp11 PCi wireless networking adapter.
>

> I have to tackle this problem again, so any advice or ideas would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> George

It has been several years but as I recall the order of installation,
hardware card/software was important. As I recall the Linksys software had
to be installed prior to the card. Then when the card is installed, the
Linksys software will detect and configure it.

Sorry if this does not work out for you. As I said it has been a few years.

Maybe check the card manual for the install sequence.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

That's a good strategy and I'll try it. I may have overlooked that in the
manual.
I did get it working before without doing it that way..but we see what
happened.

"BobC" wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:49:02 -0700, George B. wrote:
>
> > problem with linksys wmp11 PCi wireless networking adapter.
> >

> > I have to tackle this problem again, so any advice or ideas would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks much,
> >
> > George
>
> It has been several years but as I recall the order of installation,
> hardware card/software was important. As I recall the Linksys software had
> to be installed prior to the card. Then when the card is installed, the
> Linksys software will detect and configure it.
>
> Sorry if this does not work out for you. As I said it has been a few years.
>
> Maybe check the card manual for the install sequence.

samkay102

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
its very easy just change the pci slot ,my advice put the wirlerss network card in the first pci slot sfter the agp or pciexpress slot
beleive me it will work
Good luck
Sam

TRENDING THREADS