Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Help. I have just installed Windows XP Home on my Home PC. Since doing so I
notice that despite closing my PC down the night before using "Start - Turn
Off Computer - Turn Off", my pc insists on starting itself automatically at
08.45 the next day!

My son has XP home installed on his computer but does not get this problem -
any ideas?

Do you have something scheduled to update at that time? Do you have
wake-on-lan enabled?

Bobby

"Chris" <chris-l@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Help. I have just installed Windows XP Home on my Home PC. Since doing so
> I notice that despite closing my PC down the night before using "Start -
> Turn Off Computer - Turn Off", my pc insists on starting itself
> automatically at 08.45 the next day!
>
> My son has XP home installed on his computer but does not get this
> problem - any ideas?

A scheduled software update is not able to start a computer when it is a
TRUE OFF condition. A scheduled update "may" bring a computer out of
standby, which many people consider to be "off".

The only thing that can start the computer when it is actually off is a bios
setting. There are 3 or 4 settings on my main computer that will allow this
to happen:

1. Wake on Lan
2. Wake on ring
3. Schedule a start
4. One other I fail to remember at this time. Oh! Wait. Restart on power
failure may also do it - if the power fails when the computer is off.

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

If you knew half as much as you think you know,
You'd realize you didn't know what you thought you knew!

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> Do you have something scheduled to update at that time? Do you have
> wake-on-lan enabled?
>
> Bobby
>
> "Chris" <chris-l@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Help. I have just installed Windows XP Home on my Home PC. Since doing so
>> I notice that despite closing my PC down the night before using "Start -
>> Turn Off Computer - Turn Off", my pc insists on starting itself
>> automatically at 08.45 the next day!
>>
>> My son has XP home installed on his computer but does not get this
>> problem - any ideas?

Just checked again. Add the following if you have a cat (-:

5. PS2 Mouse
6. PS2 Keyboard

--

> Just checked again. Add the following if you have a cat (-:
>
> 5. PS2 Mouse
> 6. PS2 Keyboard
>
> --
>
> Regards:
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>
> If you knew half as much as you think you know,
> You'd realize you didn't know what you thought you knew!

>>A scheduled software update is not able to start a computer when it is a
>>TRUE OFF condition. A scheduled update "may" bring a computer out of
>>standby, which many people consider to be "off".
>>
>> The only thing that can start the computer when it is actually off is a
>> bios setting. There are 3 or 4 settings on my main computer that will
>> allow this to happen:
>>
>> 1. Wake on Lan
>> 2. Wake on ring
>> 3. Schedule a start
>> 4. One other I fail to remember at this time. Oh! Wait. Restart on power
>> failure may also do it - if the power fails when the computer is off.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards:
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>>
>> If you knew half as much as you think you know,
>> You'd realize you didn't know what you thought you knew!
>>

>> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
>>> Do you have something scheduled to update at that time? Do you have
>>> wake-on-lan enabled?
>>>
>>> Bobby
>>>
>>> "Chris" <chris-l@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

Turn off the wall switch - let it know who's boss !!