Does any PDA have a hard drive inside?

February 13, 2005 3:44:02 AM

Does any PDA have a hard drive inside? Does any PDA play
MP3 songs? Where do you store the MP3 songs?

More about : pda hard drive inside

Anonymous
February 13, 2005 3:44:03 AM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:44:02 GMT, need <need@pda.com> wrote:

>Does any PDA have a hard drive inside?
No. They have RAM, some have CF slots, some have SD slots.

>Does any PDA play MP3 songs?
PPCs have a bult in MP3 player.

>Where do you store the MP3 songs?
Internally in RAM or on a CF card/SD Card.

February 13, 2005 11:08:21 AM

"Amy Gray" <JudgeAmyGrayNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:44:02 GMT, need <need@pda.com> wrote:
|
| >Does any PDA have a hard drive inside?
| No. They have RAM, some have CF slots, some have SD slots.
|
| >Does any PDA play MP3 songs?
| PPCs have a bult in MP3 player.
|
| >Where do you store the MP3 songs?
| Internally in RAM or on a CF card/SD Card.

My pda has a hard drive in it at this moment.

It is an Asus and it has a microdrive, which is a small hard drive, in
the Compact Flash slot. I know it is not built in, but the real answer
is that some pda's can use hard drive devices. mp3 can be stored on
this microdrive just like other file types. These devices need a CFII
slot.
February 13, 2005 12:49:03 PM

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:57:30 -0500, Amy Gray wrote:

> >Does any PDA have a hard drive inside?

> No. They have RAM, some have CF slots, some have SD slots.
8< snip >8

My iPAQ has both: a CF slot (type I and II) and a SD slot (which can
also be used for MMC).

And what about the iPAQ hx4700? It has about 80 MiB so-called 'iPAQ
File Store' if I'm not mistaken. I don't think it's a 'real' hard
drive, but you can store data on it...

--
HP iPAQ h2210 | Brando Protector Plus | HP Leather Belt Case | Kingston CF 1 GiB |
SanDisk CF 256 MiB | D-Link DBT-120

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:08:21 -0000, "alan smith"
<alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>"Amy Gray" <JudgeAmyGrayNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>| On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:44:02 GMT, need <need@pda.com> wrote:
>|
>| >Does any PDA have a hard drive inside?
>| No. They have RAM, some have CF slots, some have SD slots.
>|
>| >Does any PDA play MP3 songs?
>| PPCs have a bult in MP3 player.
>|
>| >Where do you store the MP3 songs?
>| Internally in RAM or on a CF card/SD Card.
>|

>My pda has a hard drive in it at this moment.
>
>It is an Asus and it has a microdrive, which is a small hard drive, in
>the Compact Flash slot. I know it is not built in, but the real answer
>is that some pda's can use hard drive devices. mp3 can be stored on
>this microdrive just like other file types. These devices need a CFII
>slot.

But the original question was did any PDAs have a hard drive inside.
That IMHO excludes CF/SD slots. Also not all devices have SD and CF
slots.

February 13, 2005 5:07:06 PM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:49:03 GMT, "s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>> >Does any PDA have a hard drive inside?
>
>> No. They have RAM, some have CF slots, some have SD slots.

>And what about the iPAQ hx4700? It has about 80 MiB so-called 'iPAQ
>File Store' if I'm not mistaken. I don't think it's a 'real' hard
>drive, but you can store data on it...
User Available Memory: 192 MB total memory; (128 MB Strata Flash ROM
and 64 MB SDRAM); Up to 135 MB user available memory (includes 80 MB
iPAQ File Store)

Not really a "hard drive" as such.

February 13, 2005 5:44:23 PM

need wrote:

> Does any PDA have a hard drive inside? Does any PDA play
> MP3 songs? Where do you store the MP3 songs?

Hard drives are slow, mechanical and power hungry. Why would you want
one of those in a PDA with limited battery life if you can get the
modern equivalent in a solid state flash memory card e.g. SD, MS, CF,
MMC etc?

You can now get a 4GB CF memory card for practically the same cost as a
4GB microdrive (hard drive). You can throw a CF card hard against the
wall with no data loss, but I wouldn't bet on it with the microdrive.

An MP3 is still an MP3 whether it's stored on a hard drive or flash
memory card. They all store data.

Nikki
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 5:44:24 PM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:44:23 +0000, Nikki Casali
<nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote:

>You can throw a CF card hard against the
>wall with no data loss, but I wouldn't bet on it with the microdrive.
You can try it with your CF card, i'll pass on trying it with mine.

I don't have that kind of money to burn.

February 13, 2005 10:36:47 PM

Amy Gray wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:08:21 -0000, "alan smith"
> <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>"Amy Gray" <JudgeAmyGrayNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>| No. They have RAM, some have CF slots, some have SD slots.

>>| PPCs have a bult in MP3 player.

>>| Internally in RAM or on a CF card/SD Card.
>>|

>>My pda has a hard drive in it at this moment.
>>
>>It is an Asus and it has a microdrive, which is a small hard drive, in
>>the Compact Flash slot. I know it is not built in, but the real answer
>>is that some pda's can use hard drive devices. mp3 can be stored on
>>this microdrive just like other file types. These devices need a CFII
>>slot.
>>

> But the original question was did any PDAs have a hard drive inside.
> That IMHO excludes CF/SD slots. Also not all devices have SD and CF
> slots.

I believe the poster's "real" question is "do PDAs have a mass storage
device?". Who cares whether it's a hard drive, microdrive or flash?
That's just semantics. Give me substantial amounts of cheap non-volatile
memory with which to store music, images or movies and I'll be happy.
Hard drives are passé, IMHO..or will be shortly.

Nikki
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:29:11 AM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:36:47 +0000, Nikki Casali
<nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote:

>I believe the poster's "real" question is "do PDAs have a mass storage
>device?". Who cares whether it's a hard drive, microdrive or flash?
>That's just semantics. Give me substantial amounts of cheap non-volatile
>memory with which to store music, images or movies and I'll be happy.
>Hard drives are passé, IMHO..or will be shortly.
>
>Nikki
To original question was: Does any PDA have a hard drive inside? Does
any PDA play MP3 songs? Where do you store the MP3 songs?

RAM in the PPC does not qualify as a hard drive.

February 14, 2005 12:35:59 AM

I think throwing CF microdrive will do nothing. Problems will be only if
it's working in that time.
"Nikki Casali" <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote in message

> need wrote:
>
> > Does any PDA have a hard drive inside? Does any PDA play
> > MP3 songs? Where do you store the MP3 songs?
>
> Hard drives are slow, mechanical and power hungry. Why would you want
> one of those in a PDA with limited battery life if you can get the
> modern equivalent in a solid state flash memory card e.g. SD, MS, CF,
> MMC etc?
>
> You can now get a 4GB CF memory card for practically the same cost as a
> 4GB microdrive (hard drive). You can throw a CF card hard against the
> wall with no data loss, but I wouldn't bet on it with the microdrive.
>
> An MP3 is still an MP3 whether it's stored on a hard drive or flash
> memory card. They all store data.
>
> Nikki

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:36:00 AM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:35:59 +0600, "Amirov Zakhar" <amirov@tric.ru>
wrote:

>I think throwing CF microdrive will do nothing. Problems will be only if
>it's working in that time.
IMO throwing a microdrive will do nothing. On the other hand it
will be the impact with the wall/floor/etc. that may harm it.

February 14, 2005 12:54:21 AM

Reply to message from Nikki Casali <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> (Sun, 13
Feb 2005 09:44:23) about ""Re: Does any PDA have a hard drive inside?"":

> Hard drives are slow, mechanical and power hungry. Why would you want
> one of those in a PDA with limited battery life if you can get the
> modern equivalent in a solid state flash memory card e.g. SD, MS, CF,
> MMC etc?

By that logic a 20 gig portable music player would not be practical - yet
Apple has proven otherwise. They have the same portable requirements. If
anything, portable music players get even rougher treatment than PPCs, yet
the drive is there.

It would be fine with me if they had a 20 gig sd card at a practical
price., but at the current rate of a 2 gb card costing $200, a 20 gig would
cost over $2000.

Folks, am I the only one to find it ironic that (pocket) stereos have hard
drives yet (pocket) PCs do not?

Looks like we have to hope that either ppc manufacturers get their head out
of last decade ( or more earthly lower regions), a miracle sd card is
created , or Apple comes to realize that the time has come for a pocket
mac, complete with 20 gig drive.

Come on hp, dell, asus, anyone - I don't want to buy a pocket mac. Get with
the program and give us decent storage for a rather capable platform, the
pocket pc.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 2:01:56 AM

> I believe the poster's "real" question is "do PDAs have a mass storage
> device?". Who cares whether it's a hard drive, microdrive or flash?
> That's just semantics. Give me substantial amounts of cheap non-volatile
> memory with which to store music, images or movies and I'll be happy.
> Hard drives are passé, IMHO..or will be shortly.

I agree. Anything with moving parts will be gone in favor of more reliable,
energy efficient, and cheaper (eventually) flash devices. It's funny that
when you think about it, the original video game consoles were years ahead
of their time. They moved from flash memory to CD/DVD-Roms, just to
eventually move back to flash memory once it becomes cheaper.

On a side note, I kind of like the removable flash card model the PPCs
currently use. Easy to upgrade, plus I can keep multiple hard drives in my
pocket should the need arise for more space. It's also neat being able to
swap SD cards between devices, while having my critical applications on the
internal memory. I hope they don't change this with the upcoming new
architecture, I heard something about having seperate storage and program
memory - lame. Simpler is better.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 3:51:15 AM

"Nikki Casali" <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote in message

| need wrote:
|
| > Does any PDA have a hard drive inside? Does any PDA play
| > MP3 songs? Where do you store the MP3 songs?
|
| Hard drives are slow, mechanical and power hungry. Why would you want
| one of those in a PDA with limited battery life if you can get the
| modern equivalent in a solid state flash memory card e.g. SD, MS, CF,
| MMC etc?
|
| You can now get a 4GB CF memory card for practically the same cost as
| 4GB microdrive (hard drive). You can throw a CF card hard against the
| wall with no data loss, but I wouldn't bet on it with the microdrive.
|
| An MP3 is still an MP3 whether it's stored on a hard drive or flash
| memory card. They all store data.
|
| Nikki

The problem here is that the OP didn't give any clue as to the storage
space he was thinking about, and didn't give any format for it. Was he
looking to 120 Gb or more which is a common hard disk size ? (although
physically larger than CF, but we don't know his knowledge)
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 5:33:48 AM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:36:47 +0000, Nikki Casali
<nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote:

>I believe the poster's "real" question is "do PDAs have a mass storage
>device?". Who cares whether it's a hard drive, microdrive or flash?
>That's just semantics. Give me substantial amounts of cheap non-volatile
>memory with which to store music, images or movies and I'll be happy.
>Hard drives are passé, IMHO..or will be shortly.
>
>Nikki

I don't care about the format. I do care about the cost. I
assume a hard disk would costs less and has a larger storage
than CF or SD. If GPS map takes one gig, your Mp3 takes
another, your latest pirated movies takes a few other, I
think we need 20GB or 40GB to end swapping things constantly
and to be comfortable. That's the amount many mp3 players
and Ipod offer.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 5:54:33 AM

Amy Gray wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:36:47 +0000, Nikki Casali
> <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>I believe the poster's "real" question is "do PDAs have a mass storage
>>device?". Who cares whether it's a hard drive, microdrive or flash?
>>That's just semantics. Give me substantial amounts of cheap non-volatile
>>memory with which to store music, images or movies and I'll be happy.
>>Hard drives are passé, IMHO..or will be shortly.
>>
>>Nikki
>
> To original question was: Does any PDA have a hard drive inside? Does
> any PDA play MP3 songs? Where do you store the MP3 songs?
>
> RAM in the PPC does not qualify as a hard drive.

Except when it's a ramdisk. :-)

Nikki
February 14, 2005 6:18:39 AM

need wrote:
> I assvme a hard disk wovld costs less

There are 4 GB microdrives for abovt $399.95 MSRP. 4GB CF flashcards go
for arovnd $363.60. Same price, really, all things considered

> and has a larger storage than CF or SD.

Cvrrent maximvm for either CD or microdrives is 4GB. I've seen a 2GB SD
card the other day, bvt 1GB SD cards aren't even commonplace yet.

> If GPS map takes one gig,

Hell, where do yov live? All 254 covnties of the greatest state in the
vnion don't take vp /that/ mvch. Not even inclvding svrrovnding states ;)

> think we need 20GB or 40GB to end swapping things constantly
> and to be comfortable.

What's this "we" thing yov're talking abovt? _Yov_ may need that, I don't.
What _yov_ need is ...

> mp3 players or an Ipod
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 6:18:40 AM

Reply to message from "René" <kar98@the-coalition.us> (Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:
18:39) about ""Re: Does any PDA have a hard drive inside?"":

> need wrote:
>> I assume a hard disk would costs less

> There are 4 GB microdrives for about
> $399.95 MSRP. 4GB CF flashcards go for around $363.60. Same price,
> really, all things considered

An Ipaq mini WITH a 20 gig drive is $249. It would not have to be CF form
factor if included in the ppc from the manufacturer...

Shouldn't we acknowledge that a ppc should at have the same storage
capsbilities as that? Or, if you want, compare a ppc with a portable media
player- good match capability wise as far a media goes, but the ppc loses
out due to handicapped storage.

I really dig the ppc, just hurts to see where it could be otherwise.
February 14, 2005 6:40:19 AM

xTenn wrote:
> An Ipaq mini WITH a 20 gig drive is $249.

Really. And where could one get ahold of one of those Ipaq Minis?

> Shouldn't we acknowledge that a ppc should at have the same storage
> capsbilities as that?

"We, we, we." Or did you mean "waaa waaa waaa"? Why stop at comparing
personal computers with walkmen? Go to rec.guns and complain that Glocks
have no color display!

> Or, if you want, compare a ppc with a portable media player

No, I don't want to. It doesn't make any sense. You want a portable media
player, go buy one, they exist.

> good match capability wise as far a media goes, but the
> ppc loses out due to handicapped storage.

That wasn't even a sentence.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 6:40:20 AM

Reply to message from "René" <kar98@the-coalition.us> (Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:
40:19) about ""Re: Does any PDA have a hard drive inside?"":

> xTenn wrote:
>> An Ipaq mini WITH a 20 gig drive is
>> $249.

> Really. And where could one get ahold of one of those Ipaq Minis?

Best buy, Circuit city, Comp USA, eyc.

> Why stop at comparing personal computers with walkmen? Go to rec.guns
> and complain that Glocks have no color display!

PPCs do not shoot bullets. Yet they do use them to play music...

>> Or, if you want, compare a ppc with a portable media player

> No, I don't want to. It doesn't make any sense. You want a portable
> media player, go buy one, they exist.

My ppc does everything and more that a pmp does, if it only had the
storage. If I wanted a voice recorder would you counsel me to buy a tape
recorder instead?

> That wasn't even a sentence.

That's because you sliced and diced it, einstein.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 6:55:46 AM

xTenn wrote:

> Reply to message from Nikki Casali <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> (Sun, 13
> Feb 2005 09:44:23) about ""Re: Does any PDA have a hard drive inside?"":
>

> > Hard drives are slow, mechanical and power hungry. Why would you want
> > one of those in a PDA with limited battery life if you can get the
> > modern equivalent in a solid state flash memory card e.g. SD, MS, CF,
> > MMC etc?

Erm, yes, it was a rhetorical question, rather, to elicit some opinions.

> By that logic a 20 gig portable music player would not be practical - yet
> Apple has proven otherwise. They have the same portable requirements. If
> anything, portable music players get even rougher treatment than PPCs, yet
> the drive is there.

I presume the Apple iPod, with the relatively slower processor, 90 Mhz,
and the smaller screen, it can devote more effort to turning that spindle.

> It would be fine with me if they had a 20 gig sd card at a practical
> price., but at the current rate of a 2 gb card costing $200, a 20 gig would
> cost over $2000.

The costing is exponential. 20GB would cost at least $20000!

> Folks, am I the only one to find it ironic that (pocket) stereos have hard
> drives yet (pocket) PCs do not?

Yes, but PPCs are designed to do far more than play music and tetris.
They have large LCD screens with backlight, have 400Mhz processors, have
built-in peripherals and expansion slots that take up space to the
detriment of battery space. Where would you fit the iPod sized 20GB hard
disk in a standard sized PDA?

> Looks like we have to hope that either ppc manufacturers get their head out
> of last decade ( or more earthly lower regions), a miracle sd card is
> created , or Apple comes to realize that the time has come for a pocket
> mac, complete with 20 gig drive.
>
> Come on hp, dell, asus, anyone - I don't want to buy a pocket mac. Get with
> the program and give us decent storage for a rather capable platform, the
> pocket pc.

We will get there in time. The irony is that when we do, we will have
our 100GB SD card, but some will still be drooling at the latest iPod
with a 1 terabyte memory cube. That's life!

Nikki
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 6:55:47 AM

Reply to message from Nikki Casali <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> (Sun, 13
Feb 2005 22:55:46) about ""Re: Does any PDA have a hard drive inside?"":

> xTenn wrote:

> Erm, yes, it was a rhetorical question, rather, to elicit some opinions.

Congrats, it worked.

> I presume the Apple iPod, with the relatively slower processor, 90 Mhz,
> and the smaller screen, it can devote more effort to turning that
> spindle.

PMPs come to mind about now...

> The costing is exponential. 20GB would cost at least $20000!

Morever the point, as it were.

>> Folks, am I the only one to find it ironic that (pocket) stereos have
>> hard drives yet (pocket) PCs do not?

> Yes, but PPCs are designed to do far more than play music and tetris.
> They have large LCD screens with backlight, have 400Mhz processors, have
> built-in peripherals and expansion slots that take up space to the
> detriment of battery space. Where would you fit the iPod sized 20GB hard
> disk in a standard sized PDA?

It would add little to the size, actually, if done correctly. A little
thicker on part of it, which the rest of the length could be used to house
a bigger battery for run time. For reference, I have a rx3115 with an
extended battery. I can fit a 20 gig drive from a music player in the space
from the end of the extended battery housing (it's a little thicker then
stock ) to the top of the unit.

> We will get there in time. The irony is that when we do, we will have
> our 100GB SD card, but some will still be drooling at the latest iPod
> with a 1 terabyte memory cube. That's life!

Only if the cheaper priced media players have the terabyte drives...
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 11:37:27 AM

let's make this easy. there are NO native hard drives in any pre-2005 pda.
ALL pocket pcs, all windows mobile pcs, most smartphones, many palm, symbian,
and some hpcs, and even a few palm pcs (windows ce: casiopia e100 era, etc.)
can play stereo mp3/wma files. store mp3 files on... something besides a native
hard drive. unless you like your answers to be vauge and varied, use more
focused and informative questioning. out.

nate

In message <333011tpeosourmkkj3hvajgna35k6hcn4@4ax.com>, Amy Gray
<JudgeAmyGrayNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:36:47 +0000, Nikki Casali
<nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote:

>I believe the poster's "real" question is "do PDAs have a mass storage
>device?". Who cares whether it's a hard drive, microdrive or flash?
>That's just semantics. Give me substantial amounts of cheap non-volatile
>memory with which to store music, images or movies and I'll be happy.
>Hard drives are pass?, IMHO..or will be shortly.
>
>Nikki
To original question was: Does any PDA have a hard drive inside? Does
any PDA play MP3 songs? Where do you store the MP3 songs?

RAM in the PPC does not qualify as a hard drive.

Newsgroups
-- Don't cry... it's almost over...
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/
iPAQ 4150 w/2.512g worth of SD!
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 4:18:55 PM

If you have a USB-host capable PDA such as my FSC Pocket Loox 720, you have
the option of plugging in an external USB HDD, including iPod type devices
(drivers may be required).

!