laptop/wireless doesn't seem to pick up wireless networks?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
September 21, 2005 12:26:16 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Have a laptop with a wireless card.
It doesn't seem to pick up any wireless networks we have tried.
The pc card has Orinoco on the main part 11mbits/s Gold on one side and says
lucent tech on the other PC24E-H-FC.
CE122
The modem/router seems to be working alright ( we have tried the laptop in a
few differnt places that have wireless.
It shows nothing. The networks are set to be visable. The laptop shows the
card. Not sure where to get the paper work for the modem.
Would there be a setup for the card on the laptop?
Tried also setting up the wireless network manually.

Any suggestions? Would the modem be a lucent one or Orinoco?
thanks
September 21, 2005 12:26:17 PM

Bruce wrote:

> Have a laptop with a wireless card.
> It doesn't seem to pick up any wireless networks we have tried.
> The pc card has Orinoco on the main part 11mbits/s Gold on one side
> and says lucent tech on the other PC24E-H-FC.
> CE122
> The modem/router seems to be working alright ( we have tried the
> laptop in a few differnt places that have wireless.
> It shows nothing. The networks are set to be visable. The laptop shows
> the card. Not sure where to get the paper work for the modem.
> Would there be a setup for the card on the laptop?
> Tried also setting up the wireless network manually.
>
> Any suggestions? Would the modem be a lucent one or Orinoco?
> thanks

A Lucent modem is for dial-up and has nothing to do with wireless. The
wireless chip would be the Orinoco. I've never seen a combination
wireless/modem pc card, but that doesn't mean you don't have one. ;-) I
don't understand your statement "the modem/router seems to be working
alright". Are you referring to a cable/dsl combination modem/router for
your broadband? How do you know it works? Do you have other computers
connected with ethernet (wired)?

Did you install the drivers for the wireless pc card? Did it ever work?
If so, what changed? If you installed the drivers for the card and it
still doesn't work, I would try a different wireless pc card. The one
you have may be broken.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Archived from groups: (More info?)

The Westell works, my nephews computer had worked fine when his was running
on it.
I found the modem
http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/NETWORK/Wireless/Lu...
Not sure if it worked before I am assuming it did, bought it 2nd hand.
The wireless network will show itself in the task bar, when you click the
network icon, it shows no visable connections,
even if you put the modem a few feet away from the Westell 327W I don't have
another laptop here at this time to try it in another one.

Is there a setting in network connections, that make WI-FI connections
visable or is it automatic?

Thanks
Bruce

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Bruce wrote:
>
>> Have a laptop with a wireless card.
>> It doesn't seem to pick up any wireless networks we have tried.
>> The pc card has Orinoco on the main part 11mbits/s Gold on one side
>> and says lucent tech on the other PC24E-H-FC.
>> CE122
>> The modem/router seems to be working alright ( we have tried the
>> laptop in a few differnt places that have wireless.
>> It shows nothing. The networks are set to be visable. The laptop shows
>> the card. Not sure where to get the paper work for the modem.
>> Would there be a setup for the card on the laptop?
>> Tried also setting up the wireless network manually.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Would the modem be a lucent one or Orinoco?
>> thanks
>
> A Lucent modem is for dial-up and has nothing to do with wireless. The
> wireless chip would be the Orinoco. I've never seen a combination
> wireless/modem pc card, but that doesn't mean you don't have one. ;-) I
> don't understand your statement "the modem/router seems to be working
> alright". Are you referring to a cable/dsl combination modem/router for
> your broadband? How do you know it works? Do you have other computers
> connected with ethernet (wired)?
>
> Did you install the drivers for the wireless pc card? Did it ever work?
> If so, what changed? If you installed the drivers for the card and it
> still doesn't work, I would try a different wireless pc card. The one
> you have may be broken.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Related resources
September 21, 2005 4:29:19 PM

Bruce wrote:

> The Westell works, my nephews computer had worked fine when his was
> running on it.
> I found the modem

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/NETWORK/Wireless/Lu...
> Not sure if it worked before I am assuming it did, bought it 2nd hand.
> The wireless network will show itself in the task bar, when you click
> the
> network icon, it shows no visable connections,
> even if you put the modem a few feet away from the Westell 327W I
> don't have another laptop here at this time to try it in another one.
>
> Is there a setting in network connections, that make WI-FI connections
> visable or is it automatic?

OK, now I see what you are talking about. This is not a "modem"; it is a
wireless network adapter. Since you bought it second-hand, test it in
another laptop. If it doesn't work there, you know it is broken. Go buy
a wireless network adapter new from the store.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
September 21, 2005 7:27:14 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Does the green light come on? If not, do you have a switch on the laptop to
turn the wireless on and off? If so, make sure it is turned on.

"Bruce" <notreally@idontwantoo.com> wrote in message
> The Westell works, my nephews computer had worked fine when his was
> running on it.
> I found the modem
> http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/NETWORK/Wireless/Lu...
> Not sure if it worked before I am assuming it did, bought it 2nd hand.
> The wireless network will show itself in the task bar, when you click the
> network icon, it shows no visable connections,
> even if you put the modem a few feet away from the Westell 327W I don't
> have another laptop here at this time to try it in another one.
>
> Is there a setting in network connections, that make WI-FI connections
> visable or is it automatic?
>
> Thanks
> Bruce
>

> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> Have a laptop with a wireless card.
>>> It doesn't seem to pick up any wireless networks we have tried.
>>> The pc card has Orinoco on the main part 11mbits/s Gold on one side
>>> and says lucent tech on the other PC24E-H-FC.
>>> CE122
>>> The modem/router seems to be working alright ( we have tried the
>>> laptop in a few differnt places that have wireless.
>>> It shows nothing. The networks are set to be visable. The laptop shows
>>> the card. Not sure where to get the paper work for the modem.
>>> Would there be a setup for the card on the laptop?
>>> Tried also setting up the wireless network manually.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? Would the modem be a lucent one or Orinoco?
>>> thanks
>>
>> A Lucent modem is for dial-up and has nothing to do with wireless. The
>> wireless chip would be the Orinoco. I've never seen a combination
>> wireless/modem pc card, but that doesn't mean you don't have one. ;-) I
>> don't understand your statement "the modem/router seems to be working
>> alright". Are you referring to a cable/dsl combination modem/router for
>> your broadband? How do you know it works? Do you have other computers
>> connected with ethernet (wired)?
>>
>> Did you install the drivers for the wireless pc card? Did it ever work?
>> If so, what changed? If you installed the drivers for the card and it
>> still doesn't work, I would try a different wireless pc card. The one
>> you have may be broken.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

September 21, 2005 8:56:35 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

the led's seem to work.
Don't see any switch that would turn the wireless on and off

"Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message
> Does the green light come on? If not, do you have a switch on the laptop
> to turn the wireless on and off? If so, make sure it is turned on.
>
> "Bruce" <notreally@idontwantoo.com> wrote in message
>> The Westell works, my nephews computer had worked fine when his was
>> running on it.
>> I found the modem
>> http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/NETWORK/Wireless/Lu...
>> Not sure if it worked before I am assuming it did, bought it 2nd hand.
>> The wireless network will show itself in the task bar, when you click the
>> network icon, it shows no visable connections,
>> even if you put the modem a few feet away from the Westell 327W I don't
>> have another laptop here at this time to try it in another one.
>>
>> Is there a setting in network connections, that make WI-FI connections
>> visable or is it automatic?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Bruce
>>

>> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> A Lucent modem is for dial-up and has nothing to do with wireless. The
>>> wireless chip would be the Orinoco. I've never seen a combination
>>> wireless/modem pc card, but that doesn't mean you don't have one. ;-) I
>>> don't understand your statement "the modem/router seems to be working
>>> alright". Are you referring to a cable/dsl combination modem/router for
>>> your broadband? How do you know it works? Do you have other computers
>>> connected with ethernet (wired)?
>>>
>>> Did you install the drivers for the wireless pc card? Did it ever work?
>>> If so, what changed? If you installed the drivers for the card and it
>>> still doesn't work, I would try a different wireless pc card. The one
>>> you have may be broken.
>>>
>>> Malke
>>> --
>>> Elephant Boy Computers
>>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>>> "Don't Panic!"
>>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
September 22, 2005 11:34:40 AM

> the led's seem to work.
> Don't see any switch that would turn the wireless on and off

Open "Network Connections" from the Control Panel. Check the icon for
wireless if it is there. Check it is not disabled. If the icon doesn't exist
there, you have some strange problem.

Also open the tcp/ip properties for the wireless card and make sure they
aren't set wrong somehow.
September 23, 2005 1:33:14 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

The card isn't showing up under device manager.
According to the site only drivers are for ME, 2000, 98.
Though it says, that windows xp should find it, can't seem to find it in the
list on a manual search?

"Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message

> "Bruce" <notreally@idontwantoo.com> wrote in message
>> the led's seem to work.
>> Don't see any switch that would turn the wireless on and off
>>

> Open "Network Connections" from the Control Panel. Check the icon for
> wireless if it is there. Check it is not disabled. If the icon doesn't
> exist there, you have some strange problem.
>
> Also open the tcp/ip properties for the wireless card and make sure they
> aren't set wrong somehow.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2005 12:58:10 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Goto Control Panel , Administrative Tools, Services , and look for the
service 'Wireless Zero Configuration' Click on it and check that Startup
Type is set to Automatic , and then Start the service .

This will work if your wireless card have been installed correct.

balo

> The card isn't showing up under device manager.
> According to the site only drivers are for ME, 2000, 98.
> Though it says, that windows xp should find it, can't seem to find it in
> the list on a manual search?
>

> "Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bruce" <notreally@idontwantoo.com> wrote in message
>>> the led's seem to work.
>>> Don't see any switch that would turn the wireless on and off
>>>

>> Open "Network Connections" from the Control Panel. Check the icon for
>> wireless if it is there. Check it is not disabled. If the icon doesn't
>> exist there, you have some strange problem.
>>
>> Also open the tcp/ip properties for the wireless card and make sure they
>> aren't set wrong somehow.

September 24, 2005 1:23:16 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Is there a way to know if the wireless network pc card is compatable with
Wireless zero configuration?
a.. IEEE 802.11 Standard for Wireless LANs (DSSS)
a.. Wi-Fi certified by WECA

!