Can any PDA do voice recording for classroom setting?

February 13, 2005 3:46:08 AM

Can any PDA do voice recording for classroom setting? How
about two-people conversation over a coffee table?
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 3:46:09 AM

Yes its can. I demo'd Vito Sound Explorer and was quite pleased with it.
Didn't buy it because I've just been lazy.

http://vitotechnology.com/products/soundexplorer.html

David H

need wrote:
> Can any PDA do voice recording for classroom setting? How
> about two-people conversation over a coffee table?
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 3:46:10 AM

Given David's answer the main issue will be
the quality and appropriateness of the microphone
you use.

If you have a lot of background noise it is difficult
to get good results with an omni-directional mic
and two people complicate using a unidirectional
mic without mixers etc.

I used to have one of those Radio Shack "plate mics"
for classroom recording. (Wish I could find that
thing.)

It was great (if background noise wasn't to bad.)

I used it with small cassette recorders even in
large classrooms (30-60 people) and it usually
picked up the questions AND the speaker.

It was a flat plate which just laid on the floor,
table, or even a carpet.

--
Herb Martin

"David C. Holley" <DavidCHolley@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Yes its can. I demo'd Vito Sound Explorer and was quite pleased with it.
> Didn't buy it because I've just been lazy.
>
> http://vitotechnology.com/products/soundexplorer.html
>
> David H
>
> need wrote:
> > Can any PDA do voice recording for classroom setting? How
> > about two-people conversation over a coffee table?
February 13, 2005 3:46:11 AM

Oh yeah, but if you just want to record for free, and in MP3 format, use
this: notem.1.21 - http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=626

> Given David's answer the main issue will be
> the quality and appropriateness of the microphone
> you use.
>
> If you have a lot of background noise it is difficult
> to get good results with an omni-directional mic
> and two people complicate using a unidirectional
> mic without mixers etc.
>
> I used to have one of those Radio Shack "plate mics"
> for classroom recording. (Wish I could find that
> thing.)
>
> It was great (if background noise wasn't to bad.)
>
> I used it with small cassette recorders even in
> large classrooms (30-60 people) and it usually
> picked up the questions AND the speaker.
>
> It was a flat plate which just laid on the floor,
> table, or even a carpet.
>
> --
> Herb Martin
>

> "David C. Holley" <DavidCHolley@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> Yes its can. I demo'd Vito Sound Explorer and was quite pleased with it.
>> Didn't buy it because I've just been lazy.
>>
>> http://vitotechnology.com/products/soundexplorer.html
>>
>> David H
>>
>> need wrote:
>> > Can any PDA do voice recording for classroom setting? How
>> > about two-people conversation over a coffee table?

Anonymous
February 13, 2005 5:17:39 PM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:06:22 -0600, "Herb Martin"
<news@LearnQuick.com> wrote:

>plate mics
Is this what you are referring to?
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...

February 13, 2005 6:59:32 PM

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:11:48 -0800, "Darin"
<smash880@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Oh yeah, but if you just want to record for free, and in MP3 format, use
>this: notem.1.21 - http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=626

This is what I'm looking for on the software side. MP3
recording can save lots of space. On the hardware side,
what PDA does a good job for voice recording?
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:01:32 PM

How is it connected to a PDA? I wish you can locate the
model number or part number for this item.

<news@LearnQuick.com> wrote:

>Given David's answer the main issue will be
>the quality and appropriateness of the microphone
>you use.
>
>If you have a lot of background noise it is difficult
>to get good results with an omni-directional mic
>and two people complicate using a unidirectional
>mic without mixers etc.
>
>I used to have one of those Radio Shack "plate mics"
>for classroom recording. (Wish I could find that
>thing.)
>
>It was great (if background noise wasn't to bad.)
>
>I used it with small cassette recorders even in
>large classrooms (30-60 people) and it usually
>picked up the questions AND the speaker.
>
>It was a flat plate which just laid on the floor,
>table, or even a carpet.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:01:33 PM

"need" <need@pda.com> wrote in message
> How is it connected to a PDA? I wish you can locate the
> model number or part number for this item.

This was a standard 'stereo' mini-plug for small
devices.

Someone else pointing out that not all PDA have
an external mic jack (manage just a headset -- BAD
designer, BAD designer.)

2 or the 3 that I own will take a mic.

--
Herb Martin

"need" <need@pda.com> wrote in message
> How is it connected to a PDA? I wish you can locate the
> model number or part number for this item.
>
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:06:22 -0600, "Herb Martin"
> <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote:
>
> >Given David's answer the main issue will be
> >the quality and appropriateness of the microphone
> >you use.
> >
> >If you have a lot of background noise it is difficult
> >to get good results with an omni-directional mic
> >and two people complicate using a unidirectional
> >mic without mixers etc.
> >
> >I used to have one of those Radio Shack "plate mics"
> >for classroom recording. (Wish I could find that
> >thing.)
> >
> >It was great (if background noise wasn't to bad.)
> >
> >I used it with small cassette recorders even in
> >large classrooms (30-60 people) and it usually
> >picked up the questions AND the speaker.
> >
> >It was a flat plate which just laid on the floor,
> >table, or even a carpet.

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 1:32:03 AM

Right question :)
Most PDAs cant use external mic.
"need" <need@pda.com> wrote in message
> How is it connected to a PDA? I wish you can locate the
> model number or part number for this item.
>
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:06:22 -0600, "Herb Martin"
> <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote:
>
> >Given David's answer the main issue will be
> >the quality and appropriateness of the microphone
> >you use.
> >
> >If you have a lot of background noise it is difficult
> >to get good results with an omni-directional mic
> >and two people complicate using a unidirectional
> >mic without mixers etc.
> >
> >I used to have one of those Radio Shack "plate mics"
> >for classroom recording. (Wish I could find that
> >thing.)
> >
> >It was great (if background noise wasn't to bad.)
> >
> >I used it with small cassette recorders even in
> >large classrooms (30-60 people) and it usually
> >picked up the questions AND the speaker.
> >
> >It was a flat plate which just laid on the floor,
> >table, or even a carpet.

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 1:32:04 AM

"Amirov Zakhar" <amirov@tric.ru> wrote in message
news:o yfSQmeEFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Right question :)
> Most PDAs cant use external mic.

Actually, unless you're considering an extremely low-end
device, most that I have looked at can. The "headphone"
jack is actually a 4 conductor one, the "extra" lead
accomodates a mono mic input.

Revisit your sources of information.

> "need" <need@pda.com> wrote in message
> > How is it connected to a PDA? I wish you can locate the
> > model number or part number for this item.
> >
> > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:06:22 -0600, "Herb Martin"
> > <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Given David's answer the main issue will be
> > >the quality and appropriateness of the microphone
> > >you use.
> > >
> > >If you have a lot of background noise it is difficult
> > >to get good results with an omni-directional mic
> > >and two people complicate using a unidirectional
> > >mic without mixers etc.
> > >
> > >I used to have one of those Radio Shack "plate mics"
> > >for classroom recording. (Wish I could find that
> > >thing.)
> > >
> > >It was great (if background noise wasn't to bad.)
> > >
> > >I used it with small cassette recorders even in
> > >large classrooms (30-60 people) and it usually
> > >picked up the questions AND the speaker.
> > >
> > >It was a flat plate which just laid on the floor,
> > >table, or even a carpet.

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 2:10:16 AM

most HP i know.
my ASUS 716 and other ASUS PDAs

But I'm not talking about communicators and smartphones.
Almost all have. Though some have external audio input but mono audio
output.

!