Build For Christmas - Any Suggestions?

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
Planning to build this around X-mas (always good deals, especially boxing day). Will be using for gaming and will be dabbling in some first time OC'ing. Need a few suggestions but other than that, what do ya think?

E6600

Asus P5B Deluxe (Possiblity)

OCZ Gold XTC DDR800 2x1GB

Zalman CNPS9700 (Possibility)

WD 250GB SATAII 16MB (good price/performance on THG charts)

Antec 900 Gaming Case (mmmmm) :D

Using from past build
EVGA 7900GT CO
OCZ 420W Powerstream
LG DVD+-RW/LG Combo Drive
Creative X-FI Xtreeeme Music

Don't worry about the prices, I can price-match them myself and it's not happening until X-mas time. Now, few questions... Since this might be my first time OC'ing, (I may OC my S754 A64 3000+ just for some practice b4 I sell it) is that mobo and cooler sufficent? Heard good things about the P5B Deluxe but since I am not buying this until December, are there any better boards coming out before then (Hoping for DFI C2D lanparty)? As for the cooler, I'm not quite sure which one to get as it seems people are getting mixed results? What are a few of the best of the best? The one thing I am worried about is the PSU. I don't plan to get a new PSU until I upgrade to DX10, do you think the 420W can handle it or should I wait to OC?

Any other critiques are appreciated. Thanks for the help in advance.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
OCZ won't work. It's crap.

Try getting something like Corsair, Crucial, G Skill, or Geil.

The mobo is a great overclocker, go for that for sure. As for cooler, stock is good enough for about 300-500MHz, or better depending on room temp. The CNPS 9700 is a good cooler, and will do a good job.

I agree. Also, go with the corsair memory you have linked on your most recent post. Nice case, expect low temperatures with its 3 120mm fans and 200mm outtake chimmney fan.

Have fun. :lol:

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
everything looks perfect, except for two things.

1st, personally, id go for the C2D lanparty, as dfi cant be beat when it comes to oclking. It should come out before christmas.
Link -Anandtech

2nd, this is just my two cents, but I'd go for the Lian-li.

3rd, get a better psu, cause if your going to oclk, 420w unfortunantly won't cut it.

The case is personal preference, but really, id go for the DFI

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
O yea, I just had one more question. About the PSU, I was thinking I should probably wait to get a brand new one when I upgrade to DX10 as then I will know for certain that the PSU I get has enough wattage. Any speculation on how much those cards will draw, especially under full load is just a guess. I was looking at getting the OCZ Gamerstream 600w or 700w. Not sure which one, I could get the 700w to be safe, but if I can save the money then I'd go 100w lower. Any suggestions?

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Nope.
Pick your mobo first, then figure out which ram to get. Overclocking plans will affect your choice, so will the Intel/AMD choice, and so will the chipset choice.

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
Ok, i'm second guessing the case now. My current case (king gaming case - don't even make them anymore, kingwin doesn't even own a manual for them when I contacted for help with setting up front usb). Anyway, that's here nor there, that case is steel, weighs a lot, is loud, and has a plastic front, not the greatest case, to put it lightly. It was cheap tho.
For this new build I want a good case, but I don't want to spend over $150 CAD unless it's really going to be worth it. I was originally going to go with the Antec 900 but it's steel, and I don't want a heavy case. So I'd like a case something along these lines:
-Aluminum
-Black /w side window
-Not small but not too big (if you get what I mean)
-Quiet (i'm willing to replace the fans if you can give recommendations)

I was looking at the Thermaltake Tsunami, seem's like a pretty good case. Anything else besides that?

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I don't want to spend over $150 CAD unless it's really going to be worth it.

These are worth every penny

That is the best case so far....and that's not my opinion...thats a well known fact. If you get that case...I will be extremely jealous along with a couple hundred other guys here from the forums, so actually you know what don't get it....get um... this instead so that we can all laugh at you.

On a more serious note...you should shop at newegg.com. Almost every one of the items you mentioned is cheaper at newegg.

E6600

Corsair PC-6400 mem w/ epp

For starters.

Also check out this site....
www.performance-pcs.com

A lot of the items (fans, heatsinks, psus..etc..etc) come presleeved for your convenience. Which will make your rig look 10x better.

Anyways good luck with your build...looks like you and I will have our new machines about the same time...with almost kinda pretty similar parts.

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
Sorry, forgot to mention, I live in Canada, that's why I'm going through NCIX. I could drive the the border and have Newegg ship the stuff to customs, but that doesn't seem very practical... That case does look very tempting, but damn it's expensive, it better make me a BLT in the morning as well if it's going to be that expensive :D Looks like a good case nonetheless. Doubt my parents could fit a case into my stocking, perhaps I need a new a new stocking...
Other that that, if I weren't getting that case would you say the Thermaltake Tsunami is a good case for the money? Thanks for everyones comments thus far.

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
2 questions. Are the stock TT fans good? What could you recommend for some good, quiet LED fans? Also, the CPU HSF, will that Zalman 9700 be able to reach high OC's or should I consider something else?