Does anyone make a 12" by 12" (at least) scanner? I want t..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

LP covers are such a pain to scan.
I used to have a 8.5 by 14 scanner, but now my 8.5 x 11 scanner takes
FOUR passes to scan a vinyl album cover!

Does anyone make a large scanner?

If not, is there good stitching software that does all the work for
you?

Scan The Man
8 answers Last reply
More about does make least scanner
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    > ScanTheMan <ScanTheMan@scanner.org> wrote:

    > LP covers are such a pain to scan.

    But they hardly need the dpi a scanner provides.
    Even if you are doing full-size reproductions, an 8Mp
    digital camera will suffice. If you are just doing
    eBay auction photos, 2Mp is more than adequate.

    Just mount your digital camera on a tripod pointing
    straight down. Don't use the built-in flash.

    Run some experiments to determine what zoom focal
    length provides the optimum linearity (no pincushion,
    no barrel distortion).

    For extra credit, get yourself a copy stand.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    ScanTheMan wrote:
    > LP covers are such a pain to scan.
    > I used to have a 8.5 by 14 scanner, but now my 8.5 x 11 scanner takes
    > FOUR passes to scan a vinyl album cover!
    >
    > Does anyone make a large scanner?
    >
    > If not, is there good stitching software that does all the work for
    > you?
    >
    > Scan The Man

    Depending on hat you are going to do with the images, and if you just
    need the front side, you may not need to can them at all. If you
    digitize an item from the record, and then play it in Windows Media
    Player, you can tell WMP to Get the Fileinfo. It will search a database
    and present you with jpg's of albums/sleeves that contained the item.

    Bernie
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    ScanTheMan wrote:
    > LP covers are such a pain to scan.
    > I used to have a 8.5 by 14 scanner, but now my 8.5 x 11 scanner takes
    > FOUR passes to scan a vinyl album cover!
    >
    > Does anyone make a large scanner?

    I would think so; I've seen A3-sized (approx 11x14) scanners on eBay,
    and I suspect there are larger ones available as well. The A3 one was a
    bit under $100; I suspect a larger one would be pricier.

    > If not, is there good stitching software that does all the work for
    > you?

    There is, but I'm not sure what it is.

    - Brooks

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    "ScanTheMan" <ScanTheMan@scanner.org> wrote in message
    > LP covers are such a pain to scan.
    > I used to have a 8.5 by 14 scanner, but now my 8.5 x 11 scanner takes
    > FOUR passes to scan a vinyl album cover!
    >
    > Does anyone make a large scanner?
    >
    > If not, is there good stitching software that does all the work for
    > you?
    >
    > Scan The Man

    Here is how to do it with a Digital Camera.
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com/how_to_copy_with_digital_camera.htm
    You may want to rotate the image on the CD insert 90 degrees from what I
    did on this example.

    I used a cheap music stand on this page, but a picture easel bought from
    Walmart for around $10-12 works well also.

    I used a picture easel in this example.
    See the How to Copy Business Cards with a Digital Camera.
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com/how_to_copy_business_cards.htm

    The business card is small but you can back up and shoot a LP cover using
    this setup.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    "ScanTheMan" <ScanTheMan@scanner.org> wrote in message
    >snip...........................................

    > If not, is there good stitching software that does all the work for
    > you?
    >
    > Scan The Man

    Here is the URL for Panorama Factory. Easy to use.
    http://www.panoramafactory.com/download.html
    The program is shareware, but and old freeware version is still available
    from the above reference.
    Matt D
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    I scan my son artworks which is usually 11x14 on my 8x11 scanner all
    the time.

    I use "automerge" feature of Photoshop Element. It is pretty easy.
    Much easier and better quality than using digital camera to copy it.

    ScanTheMan wrote:
    > LP covers are such a pain to scan.
    > I used to have a 8.5 by 14 scanner, but now my 8.5 x 11 scanner takes
    > FOUR passes to scan a vinyl album cover!
    >
    > Does anyone make a large scanner?
    >
    > If not, is there good stitching software that does all the work for
    > you?
    >
    > Scan The Man
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    In article <41f827a9.5714614@news.supernews.com>, ScanTheMan
    <ScanTheMan@scanner.org> writes
    >LP covers are such a pain to scan.
    >I used to have a 8.5 by 14 scanner, but now my 8.5 x 11 scanner takes
    >FOUR passes to scan a vinyl album cover!
    >
    >Does anyone make a large scanner?

    Epson Expression 10,000XL/Pro is an A3 scanner with a flatbed scanning
    area of 12.2x17.2inches (310x437mm).
    Epson GT-15,000 is a little smaller at 11.7x17inches (297x432mm).

    These are expensive scanners though, the GT-15,000 being around $1500
    and the 10,000XL being nearer $2500 new.
    --
    Kennedy
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

    I just bought a Umax Mirage 2 scanner on ebay for $75, it is A3 size,
    arrived working good but dirty. When you get a used scanner, plan on
    spending a few hours cleaning the glass inside and out, and used
    compressed air to clean the mirrors (but not from a can because if you
    tilt the can, a liquid comes out, you need compressed air from a hose).

    Mustek makes a cheap new A3 scanner, but it is junk, i bought one and
    it was so bad i just threw it away, what a joke it is. A decent new
    scanner starts at $1000 or so for the Microtek 9800XL, and Epson makes
    one for about $2500.

    Tom Robinson

Scanners Software Peripherals