"Disconnected" but still online

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Advice please.
The two computer icon has disappeared from my machines tray and in 'Network
Connections' the Broadband connection says it is 'disconnected'.
But I am still online.
But more annoyingly a box keeps appearing saying I'm disconnected and tries
to make a dial up type connection. I've stopped it actually dialling but the
box
keeps appearing.
I've checked that I don't have a dialler

Windows XP SP2
Netgear DG834G (via cable)

I've tried 'System Restore' but it says no changes in the last two weeks.
(Alas I can't remember exactly when this started but it wasn't that long
ago)

TIA
Slatts

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003
Archived from groups: (More info?)

Right click on the taskbar and select "properties". Note the checkbox that reads
"Hide inactive icons". Click on "Customize". Note the setting for your network
connection. This could be why the icon has disappeared.
In "Control Panel" click on "Internet Properties". Click tab for "Connections".
Make sure that "Never dial a connections" is checked or grayed out.
When your computer "tries" to dial out... do you recognize the phone number it
is dialing? Have you EVER set up any dial-up connection? I suggest running
various spyware detectors. MS Antispyware, lavasoft, spybot.
What exactly does the box read that says you are disconnected?

"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message
> Sla#s wrote:
>> Advice please.
>> The two computer icon has disappeared from my machines tray and in
>> 'Network
>> Connections' the Broadband connection says it is 'disconnected'.
>> But I am still online.
>> But more annoyingly a box keeps appearing saying I'm disconnected and
>> tries
>> to make a dial up type connection. I've stopped it actually dialling but
>> the
>> box
>> keeps appearing.
>> I've checked that I don't have a dialler
<SNIP>

> Right click on the taskbar and select "properties". Note the checkbox that
> reads
> "Hide inactive icons". Click on "Customize". Note the setting for your
> network
> connection. This could be why the icon has disappeared.

All ready tried that - the icon is not there at all.

> In "Control Panel" click on "Internet Properties". Click tab for
> "Connections".
> Make sure that "Never dial a connections" is checked or grayed out.

All ready done. But it still tried to connect.

> When your computer "tries" to dial out... do you recognize the phone
> number it
> is dialing?

THAT'S the weird bit - It's greyed out so I can't tell.

>Have you EVER set up any dial-up connection?

Yes, I have a dialup to my provider as an emergency back up but it needs all
the password details to be entered.
I have now deleted this and don't get the dialer any more but there is still
no 'connected' icon in the tray.

> I suggest running
> various spyware detectors. MS Antispyware, lavasoft, spybot.

First thing I did :) no problems there.

> What exactly does the box read that says you are disconnected?

"We have detected that you are disconnected from the internet.... (can't
remember the rest.).

Apart form there being no tray icon the problem has gone.

Thanks
Slatts