my review of the scythe infinity

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
i just got mine today to replace the stock c2d fan (e6400).

using gigabyte s3 mobo

first of this thing is huge and goes all the way to the side of the case (standard mid size) but it does fit.

it is heavy, but not too heavy that i'd think it's overstressing the mobo though

it was slightly a pita to get in with the mobo already in the case, but not that bad. Installation took around 5 min. The Infinity uses the same locky pins that the stock cooler uses to lock down. They are OK but i could imagine more secure setups, but im not worried about the heatsink falling off the mobo.

i have it installed so the fan blows through the heatsink and out through my exhaust fan (which is underneath the psu). Basicaly no cpu heat stays in the case....excellent!

you can mount it narrow way or wide way (at least my gigabyte s3 can) and you can put the fan on any side of the sink (or a fan on all 4 sides if you really wanted to). It possibly could be touching some capacitators (i cant see b/c the mobo is in the case) but i'm positive none are bending, or anything serious.

you can use any 120mm by 25mm fan you want with the stock clips (only one set comes though, but wire ties could work) if you wanted to use a wider fan then wireties would be your option

i used as5 (i took the HS off once to see how the as5 spread, and it was nice and even, so i know have good contact between the heatsink and cpu)

Here are my speedfan and TAT temps.

my 6400 is currently ocd to 3.2 (i will go higher, but i just bumped the fsb and its been stable all of today)

TAT temps : 45-47 mild internet surfing, 60 is max unter TAT induced load
stock was like 39ish idle 42 load)

speed fan : 30 c mild internet surfing 45 c load

i think speed fan is bios temp, but from what i read TAT is prob closer to being accurate.

either way i'm not worried bout these temps as they are still lower than what i had on stock speed and stock cooler.

overall impression: expensive at 50 bux, but it certainly works and you don't have to take the mobo off. one of the best air coolers around (plus upgrading the fan(s) can lower temps even further) - i cant imagine that any cooler could be more than 2-3c cooler than this one, so dont be worried about performance

try to find reviews of people using with your mobo to make sure it will fit, but im pretty sure scythe wouldn't make a hsf that wouldn't work on most mobos.

btw for my s3 i threw a 40mm fan on the NB. (the NB heatsink works well as you can feel it gets hot, so when a fan is on, it works great. the heatsink no longer feels burning hot).

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Nice review. Try editing it and getting more technical and please, watch your grammar. Add some pics of the borders of the HSF not making contact with any other part of the computer if you can.

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
sorry man, that wasnt supposed to be an "official" review. just whenever i buy new components i just like to let people know about my experience with them.

btw im 15 and i cant teach myself to type with proper grammar, unless im in Word doing an essay.

ill clean it up a bit though, now that i look at it the grammar is poop.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Have you tried adding a better fan? Or doing a push-pull configuration. I want to see what kind of drops we can see with different configs... of course, I know your just one guy so you probably can't do stuff like that, but if you ever decide you can, be sure to post it. I think a lot of people would like to see the Infinity paired with a FM 121 or have a push-pull config...

Or have this fan instead =)

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=20847

Wonder what its like having a 220 CFM fan in the case...

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
the infinity might just fly out of the case lol with that delta

as i said before im 15 and though i do work, it really isnt much.

also i get my permit in like a month or so and will have to pay for insurance.

ive gotten my temps down even further now.

at 3.2 ghz i dropped the vcore to 2.75 and my temps now are 42-43c idle and 58c load (tat)

also note i just installed this like 2 days ago so the as5 might not be completely seated yet.

once i have the money my next purchases will probably be fans. ive thought about those deltas before, but i just dont feel like hearing a helicopter next to me. 65 db is ridicoulus. im considering the silverstone fan though.

im thinking id use the stock fan as the pull and the silverstone as the push. w/e we'll see