Sapphire vs. Asus x1950 pro

AndeeG

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I'm gearing up to buy an x1950 pro and just noticed that both the ASUS and Sapphire versions are available on zipzoomfly. The Sapphire is 5 bucks more. Which one should I get?

a123456

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
They're basically the same. There are a few differences, though.

Sapphire has VIVO support. Asus doesn't.
Sapphire comes with a Crossfire connector. Asus doesn't.
Sapphire is 1 slot. Asus is 2.
Asus has a non-stock cooler that might work better. If you're going to pick up a Zalman anyway, then this doesn't matter.
Asus has some extra driver software, but I don't know if it's useful.
I don't remember the software bundle on the Sapphire.
I think Sapphire only has a 2 year warranty. Asus has 3.

For most users, these differences are negligible. If you want either CF or VIVO or require a 1 slot card to fit in your case, then probably the Sapphire. If you don't, then probably the ASUS for the warranty and possibly the cooler.

Either one will work fine since they're clocked within 1 Mhz of each other and they're the same chip.

a123456

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Is VIVO the same as Avivo? What are each of them anyway?

No. Vivo allows bidirectional communcation between a device. So, you could watch TV on your computer and the other way around with just 1 cable.

Avivo allows lower CPU usage on decoding certain video formats.

Rogueone

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
They're basically the same. There are a few differences, though.

Sapphire has VIVO support. Asus doesn't.
Sapphire is 1 slot. Asus is 2.
Asus has a non-stock cooler that might work better. If you're going to pick up a Zalman anyway, then this doesn't matter.
Asus has some extra driver software, but I don't know if it's useful.
I don't remember the software bundle on the Sapphire.
I think Sapphire only has a 2 year warranty. Asus has 3.

For most users, these differences are negligible. If you want either CF or VIVO or require a 1 slot card to fit in your case, then probably the Sapphire. If you don't, then probably the ASUS for the warranty and possibly the cooler.

Either one will work fine since they're clocked within 1 Mhz of each other and they're the same chip.

One very big issue you missed with the Asus. I've called them about it, but they seriously want to do it this way:

They have 2 x1950 Pro's. The you are seeing now at the 180-190 range, will come with OUT the Xfire connector.

Then, when you want Xfire, you will have to purchase the other, more expensive card, which is packaged with BOTH Xfire connectors. So expect the pricing to end up still at $400 for both.

Personally, I think that is stupid, and i ordered 2 of the Sapph's . Now, if only I could figure out how to get them to work!! :) Seriously, 1 has signal during boot up, the other when Windows starts up. And when i go to bios, it acts like it knows both are there, but ONLY the top half of the screen shows the bios, and it has lots of shadow text (the text is displayed normally and shifted to the right in a more ghostly level).

They don't seem to have any heat issues, so at this point, I'm very happy except for trying to figure out why i can't see bios and windows from both cards at the same time, or one all the time.

a123456

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

One very big issue you missed with the Asus. I've called them about it, but they seriously want to do it this way:

Not really. It's stated right in there, but most people aren't going to CF them, so this is just one of the factors among many. If you are going to CF, then, yes, it would be wiser to get a Sapphire or other brand. Newegg raised its price back up to 190 on the Asus from 165, though, so it's not as much of a bargain as it used to be.

Rogueone

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I have the ones from Newegg, and those would seem to not be VIVO versions. I parts label on the side end 'dual dvi-i/tvo" and mentions Svideo cable for TVO version and VIVO cable with Svideo for VIVO version, and looking at the cables, I see a single SVideo cable and a HDTV cable, but nothing that looks like a cable one would use for VIVO.

a123456

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
how do u know the sapphire one has VIVO?
If you go to your link, the CF cable is clearly there in the 5th picture. It's the orange short thing in the bottom right. I don't see a non-VIVO card on the Sapphire site, so I'm not sure on the other point.

If things are that fuzzy, the Powercolor one for a little extra comes with the X2 cooler, which is worth the extra price already assuming it fits in your case.