Wierd video problem?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Games
  • Video
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
November 1, 2006 6:04:38 AM

Guys, heres the problem im facing. I have a 3.0E P4 system, Intel D865PERL Mobo and Geforce 5200 graphics card. The system was functioning well for a year or so. Then what happened was during games the system freezes up and sometimes the monitor turms off by itself.

This only happens in games. I have tried to see if a system stress problem by running numerous other tasks together but the system runs fine then. It happens during games and normally after a few minutes of starting the game. I have formated and reinstalled windows and tried and still no luck.

What could be the cause of this?

Thanks for any help!

More about : wierd video problem

November 1, 2006 7:01:59 AM

what games are you playing. Also I had that problem with my GF FX 5500 while I was playing CS:S
November 1, 2006 10:07:46 AM

its jst some games my lil bro is playin, i think it includes spiderman2 and some stuff. but its happenin in all those games. and further more i found out the same thing happens when i try to open a video in Windows Media Player too.

It cant be a software problem cos i have formated and reinstalled windows
Related resources
November 1, 2006 12:31:30 PM

ya i think its either the video card or monitor. ill try swapping those 2 to find out i guess. thanks for the replies guys.

Btw on a side note, if im assembling a pc which has ATI video intergrated on the motherboard and therefore I have to allocate memory for it from the system mem. and i would be using the pc for general browsing and stuff plus VOIP communication. How much RAM should i allocate to the video? based on if I have 512MB or 1GB system RAM.
November 1, 2006 1:21:23 PM

Sounds like the video card is crapping out.Try another one in the same machine and see what happens.If the problem persists then it's not the video card,but I'd say it is.Might be psu,but highly unlikely.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
November 1, 2006 1:34:02 PM

I'm surprised that nobody remember to ask how hot is your video card/System.

Video games usually stress video card/system more than anything else so that's what i would check first.