Sign in with
Your question

F1 F1 F1 - It's a jungle, and I am abit rusty - advice pls

Last response: in Motherboards
November 1, 2006 8:28:33 AM

Hi all :) 

I have been trying to decide on components for a new rig since C2D became available, but that easier said than done.

The only thing I am certain of is the C2D CPU choice, now for the questions:

- NVidia or ATi graphics? And which chipsets offer best performance for each brand?

- I want stability and performance (not gonna OC per default): Which brand of motherboard? And again - which chipset?

I could simplify and ask: Whats the ultimate C2D mobo/chipset/graphics combo? Money is not an issue.

Hope you guys will find the time to throw some advice my way :) 

Thanks!
November 1, 2006 3:25:45 PM

sup DK;

Just for future reference this post would be better served in the general Homebuilt section.

Just out of curiosity what Model of C2D did you choose, as it will influence the advice that you get.

So money is no object eh, well this should be fun to say the least, all my prices are based on USD.

If money is truley no object i would recomend the following.

Crucial Ballistix pc2-6400 to give you some headroom for future platform changes, rather then room for OCing, which would definately be an option with this memory and a C2D, but that aside this is the best memory on the market. A 2x1GB kit will run you $400.

For a graphics card choice i would recomend a BFG Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX-OC, its gonna be a beast. Direct X 10 for the win, 384-bit memory interface, 128 pipes, onboard physics engine, 768MB of onboard video memory, and the list goes on and on.
Price based on projected availability upon release is $650.

The Extreme Core 2 Quad, what can I say other then hell yeah here it comes! Expect to pay in the neiborhood of $1100 for this Animal.

It looks like both Intel, and Nvidia are going to release a revision of their chipset for the Quad Core platform, look for it to coincide with the release of the Extreme Core 2 Quad.

Hard Drives, well there is really only one choice worth entertaining Western Digital Raptor, a 10,000 RPM digital media eating carnivor. Set these bad boys up in raid 0 and never wait on anything again. Expect to pay $220 apiece for the 150GB flavor.

Power supply is arguably the most important piece of hardware in your machine and with that in mind there is really only one choice here, the Antec TruePower Trio 650.
It has tripple +12v 19 Amp rails, for a total of 57 Amps, there is nothing it cant power, and with excellent stability as well, world class power for a world class machine. Expect to pay $150.

This should get you started, in light of the new hardware slated to be relased soon alot of this is speculation, but in the world of money is no object this should point you in the right direction.
November 1, 2006 9:31:05 PM

Great recommendation, but i have to disagree with you on the PS. While Antec makes good PS, it is not the only one he should look at. I personnaly believe Enermax is better.

As per chipset, i would look at the P965 from Intel.
Related resources
November 1, 2006 9:59:18 PM

Yes - Enermax and P965 :^)
But what the hell does this have to do with F1 !?!
Yeesh....
November 2, 2006 4:42:18 PM

You're young, aren't you..? :D 

F1 = Help in most apps in "the old days" :tongue:

But, anyhoo, thanks for the advice.

Actually, when I said "money is not an object" I was thinking about currently available tech. But, what the heck - I can see I should wait abit for x4 and DX10...

Waited long though, hehe. My current rig (was a MONSTER when I got it) is prescott 3,2, 2GB CL2, X800Pro 256, SATA RAID0, so I am reaaaaly looking forward for my upgrade :D 

Thanks for your advice guys. Don't hesitate if you have more feedback. I do read alot of sites and forums, but I nolonger work with hardware onhand (not enthusiast stuff anyways), so it's kinda hard to evaluate... So, first hand experiences about brands, chipsets etc. is very welcome.

Cheers guys :) 
November 2, 2006 4:57:05 PM

Intel E6600/Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6/ATi X1950XTX
November 2, 2006 5:17:16 PM

Sweet CPU/mobo/vidcard, very top-shelf.
I always believe if you have a good vidcard, you need only one.
Or maybe 2 x X1650XT or whatever (affordable).
@ Jenner_DK
Oh yes I'm young all right, LoL I'm also a big FIA Formula1 fan.
So F1 doesn't mean 'help' to me, heheh... but I getcha now.
Hey Jenner your rig is still good - heck, I had a XP2500+ Athlon on SocketA before, I got a good upgrade here.
But yours is still nice. It's all in the vidcard anyway, so you're stuck right there with AGP until you want a new vidcard.
With DirectX10 and also HDCP just around the corner, maybe that's not a bad place to be...
So just use your rig until next year. It's pretty safe to say that memory will not cost more then - but you'll pay a lot for it right now.
L8R
November 18, 2006 11:10:43 AM

OK.

Thanks for your advice guys, but I need more - I craaaave more :D  Info on this please.

I have now narrowed my selection:

Case: Silverstone TJ09 - will have to wait abit until released in EU.
Power Supply: ? Not sure yet - maybe Silverstone Zeus?
Motherboard: Either ASUS 680i SLI Striker or eVGA 680i SLI Board
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6??? - might wanna overclock if "failsafe"... I heard that its pretty safe to tune 6600 and lower?
Memory: Either OCZ PC2-9000 Titanium Alpha VX2 DFI Special Dual Channel or The XMS2 DOMINATORTM DDR2 Performance Memory - anyhooo - will prolly be 2 or 4 GB - heading towards 4GB due to Vista...
Video Card: Looking at 8800... Either BFG 8800 GTX or Sparkle Calibre 8800 GTX or EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTX w/ ACS3 - I am new to eVGA products (they are quite new on the market in Denmark - any clues please? Sounds like cheapo, but reviews tell another tale? - Info please).
Hard Drives: Western Digital Raptor SATA 74GB (16MB cache) HDDs in RAID 0 or 150GB in same config.
Hard Drives for data: 2xWD 500BG in a mirror I am guessing. Ig you have ideas about datastorage - please do tell :)  I have an SC101 from Netgear - but... Not sure I trust their tech tbh ...

Can't wait to hear fellow nerds reply - preferrably someone with more insight than myself (as I am "rusty")... I just want a kickass rig now - so bleeding tired of new games telling me: "You need Shader Model 3.0 or else..." :D 

My budget is 24000 Dkr = 3217.93 Euros = 4110.57 US $ ... Just want the best of it.

I hope you hardcore hardware "geeks" can give me the info I can't provide myself, hehe.

Kind regards

Jenner_DK.
November 18, 2006 12:15:11 PM

Quote:
OK.

Thanks for your advice guys, but I need more - I craaaave more :D  Info on this please.

I have now narrowed my selection:

Case: Silverstone TJ09 - will have to wait abit until released in EU.
Power Supply: ? Not sure yet - maybe Silverstone Zeus?
Motherboard: Either ASUS 680i SLI Striker or eVGA 680i SLI Board
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6??? - might wanna overclock if "failsafe"... I heard that its pretty safe to tune 6600 and lower?
Memory: Either OCZ PC2-9000 Titanium Alpha VX2 DFI Special Dual Channel or The XMS2 DOMINATORTM DDR2 Performance Memory - anyhooo - will prolly be 2 or 4 GB - heading towards 4GB due to Vista...
Video Card: Looking at 8800... Either BFG 8800 GTX or Sparkle Calibre 8800 GTX or EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTX w/ ACS3 - I am new to eVGA products (they are quite new on the market in Denmark - any clues please? Sounds like cheapo, but reviews tell another tale? - Info please).
Hard Drives: Western Digital Raptor SATA 74GB (16MB cache) HDDs in RAID 0 or 150GB in same config.
Hard Drives for data: 2xWD 500BG in a mirror I am guessing. Ig you have ideas about datastorage - please do tell :)  I have an SC101 from Netgear - but... Not sure I trust their tech tbh ...

Can't wait to hear fellow nerds reply - preferrably someone with more insight than myself (as I am "rusty")... I just want a kickass rig now - so bleeding tired of new games telling me: "You need Shader Model 3.0 or else..." :D 

My budget is 24000 Dkr = 3217.93 Euros = 4110.57 US $ ... Just want the best of it.

I hope you hardcore hardware "geeks" can give me the info I can't provide myself, hehe.

Kind regards

Jenner_DK.

Looks like you've done your homework. I really can't improve on your selections. I would buy all that stuff myself. I would go with the E6600 on thee Stryker, although I use a GA-965P-DQ6 myself. Anyone's 8800 should work pretty much the same as any one elses'.
November 18, 2006 1:30:51 PM

Quote:
24000 Dkr = 3217.93 Euros = 4110.57 US $ ... Just want the best of it.

Hey no problem! LoL, I could build TWO very high-end rigs for that...
So just build a Core2 rig with moderate-new vidcard - then in 1/2 year you could invest in newer high-end vidcard (and maybe QuadCore CPU upgrade too).
L8R
November 18, 2006 3:45:56 PM

To me one important question would be 32 or 64 bit OS ? While the rig as specified is capable of both, what games can actually run problem free in a native 64bit environment ?

Quote:

I'm curious, what would your recommendation for a high performance rig at half the mentioned price be ? I'm considering building a Vista/Win2003Server 64bit rig at half of Jenner_DK's price point within the next couple of weeks.

--
Jagoop
November 18, 2006 3:57:48 PM

Quote:
To me one important question would be 32 or 64 bit OS ? While the rig as specified is capable of both, what games can actually run problem free in a native 64bit environment ?

I'm curious, what would your recommendation for a high performance rig at half the mentioned price be ? I'm considering building a Vista/Win2003Server 64bit rig at half of Jenner_DK's price point within the next couple of weeks.

--
Jagoop

32 bit. There's a dearth of drivers available for 64 bit
November 18, 2006 10:52:29 PM

Hi jagoop,
Yes 32-bit (mainstream) OS, not too much scientific research going on at my place... you?
Anyway, allow me to post an OGS Dream machine 11/06:

Asus C2D Striker Extreme
Intel Core2 Duo E6600
2GB Corsair PC2-8888 Dominator
GeForce 8800GTX
2 x 74GB/16MB Raptors
2 x 500GB/16MB SATA2
Silverstone TJ09-S case
BFG 800W powersupply
----------------------------
$3685. CDN = 2500 Euros.

Hmmm... guess I cannot build two rigs after all, LoL
But some of this stuff is crazy expensive - like that memory! It is not what I would choose.
The vidcard is expensive, the memory outrageous and that mobo is pricey too (but it's really nice, I like it).
I could offer a slightly modified parts list @ ~2000 Euros, but can't go wrong with your original selections, heheh...
L8R
November 19, 2006 3:06:06 AM

Here ya go:
ABit AW9D Max, Intel 975X (2x16 SLI)
C2D E6600
2GB Corsair PC2-6400 C4
GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
1 x 150GB/16MB Raptor
2 x 500GB/16MB SATA2
Lian Li PC-65 aluminum case
BFG 800W powersupply
----------------------------