Sign in with
Your question

Which Will Run Faster? Single or Dual Core? Help!

Last response: in CPUs
November 1, 2006 10:27:37 AM

if i run an application that is single threaded on a P4 3.8GHZ then it'll run faster

THEN IF

I run the same application on a core2 e6600(2.4GHZ) so does this mean that the application will be running at 2.4GHZ couse the application only supports 1 core?
November 1, 2006 10:34:03 AM

Sort of, even if the program is running threaded to support multiple cores it still only runs the chip at 2.4ghz.

That being said given an application that is a single thread. It will run much faster on a E6600(2.4ghz) vs the P4 at 3.8ghz. The E6600 is much faster not just because of dual core but because it does much more per clock cycle.
November 1, 2006 10:40:46 AM

Quote:
if i run an application that is single threaded on a P4 3.8GHZ then it'll run faster

THEN IF

I run the same application on a core2 e6600(2.4GHZ) so does this mean that the application will be running at 2.4GHZ couse the application only supports 1 core?

:roll: :roll: :roll: What is Wrong with you? Of course not! A Single threaded application will run FASTER in a 1.8Ghz Core 2 E6300 Than a Single core Core or Even a Hyper threaded Pentium 4(Net burst)

Why would New technology that takes over AMD, and Molests and Rapes the "pentium" brand name Run anything slower.

*Even the Slowest Core 2 Duo Runs that Application 40%faster and with 40% less power Consumption (a result of Super improvements In Core Architecture and Shortening of the pipelines and increase of the Work per unit the Processor can do per MHz)
I and any Computer knowing person can tell you that Core 2 Duo Will beat Pentium In anything
Related resources
November 1, 2006 11:31:33 AM

Um, to me it seems like you think Core 2 Duos are faster because they are dual-core, hence double the clock speed. My apologies if I misunderstodd, but juuuust in case: Core 2 Duos aren't fast because of their clock speed, they are fast because of their efficiency - even on a singlethreaded app they will destroy any P4-based CPU.
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2006 12:02:57 PM

Quote:

THEN IF

The single threaded app will run on one core of the core 2 duo but will run 30-50% faster than on the 3.8 GHz P4.

This is because the P4 will executes fewer instructions per clock cycle than the Core 2 Duo, the dual core will be significantly faster even though it will only use one CPU for the single threaded app

And, if it is a dual core CPU, while the single threaded app is using only core, many services and programs running in the background will be using the other core. :D 
November 1, 2006 1:36:36 PM

Quote:

THEN IF

:roll: :roll: :roll: What is Wrong with you? Of course not! A Single threaded application will run FASTER in a 1.8Ghz Core 2 E6300 Than a Single core Core or Even a Hyper threaded Pentium 4(Net burst)

Why would New technology that takes over AMD, and Molests and Rapes the "pentium" brand name Run anything slower.

*Even the Slowest Core 2 Duo Runs that Application 40%faster and with 40% less power Consumption (a result of Super improvements In Core Architecture and Shortening of the pipelines and increase of the Work per unit the Processor can do per MHz)
I and any Computer knowing person can tell you that Core 2 Duo Will beat Pentium In anything

There is no need to reply like that. Most people do equate faster clockspeed to be the faster processor.
November 1, 2006 1:42:25 PM

The Core 2 Duo isin't just 2 P4's sandwiched together, it's a revamp of the entire architecture so there's a lot more going on under the hood...

The Core 2 Duo will still be faster either way you cut it...
November 1, 2006 2:00:29 PM

Quote:

There is no need to reply like that. Most people do equate faster clockspeed to be the faster processor.

That is so true. To be honest I got roped in on the first PC I ever bought (5 years ago and I knew absolutely nothing about PC's) I bought an eMachines from TigerDirect and went with a Celeron 2.8Ghz because damn, that was a lot of Ghz for $250 :wink: It is a common misconception, but if your knowledge is minimal, it makes perfect sense!
!