Add a computer to an existing wireless network

Archived from groups: (More info?)

We have three computers in our house (2 desktops and one laptop). The
wireless connection is installed and working on 1 desktop and the laptop.
Now I want to add my desktop to the existing wireless network, but can't seem
to figure out how to do that. I could use any help! thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about computer existing wireless network
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Hi

    Since you did not indicate what is the Network hardware that you use, I would assume
    that you have a Wireless cable/DSL Router, or an Access Point.

    You probably need to install a Wireless card in the additional computer and configure it
    to connect to the Wireless source.

    I need a Wireless Card what should I get? - http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wcard

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Liane" <Liane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We have three computers in our house (2 desktops and one laptop). The
    > wireless connection is installed and working on 1 desktop and the laptop.
    > Now I want to add my desktop to the existing wireless network, but can't seem
    > to figure out how to do that. I could use any help! thanks
  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Jack, I just recently bought a Linksys USB network adapter for my computer
    and we have cable internet so we have a cable modem and a Dell True Mobile
    Router connected to the main computer. We've had much difficulty setting up
    this wireless internet network. When we purchased the laptop, we had a
    really difficult time getting that to connect to the wireless network. I
    have tried so many things and am really frustrated. Could you give me basic
    instructions on how I would go about connecting my computer with the existing
    wireless network?

    I saw a set of instructions that said use a flash card, 1. plug it into the
    primary computer, go through the wireless connection wizard, then 2. plug it
    into the WAP (which I can't because it isn't USB capable) and 3. plug it into
    my computer and 4. plug it back into the main computer. My problem right now
    is #2. Do you have suggestions for subtitutions to that approach?

    I appreciate all your help!

    Liane

    "Jack (MVP)" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Since you did not indicate what is the Network hardware that you use, I would assume
    > that you have a Wireless cable/DSL Router, or an Access Point.
    >
    > You probably need to install a Wireless card in the additional computer and configure it
    > to connect to the Wireless source.
    >
    > I need a Wireless Card what should I get? - http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wcard
    >
    > Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Liane" <Liane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > We have three computers in our house (2 desktops and one laptop). The
    > > wireless connection is installed and working on 1 desktop and the laptop.
    > > Now I want to add my desktop to the existing wireless network, but can't seem
    > > to figure out how to do that. I could use any help! thanks

Configuration Wireless Network Desktops Wireless Networking