Question about overclocking and component life span

MAK-Daddy32

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I'm fairly new to overclocking - just recently completed my first homebuild (had been buying Dells before - I know the shame is almost unbearable :oops: )

Anyway - I'm running an e6400 on a Gigabyte DS3 board.

I've bumped the FSB to 325 (x8 = 2.6 Ghz) keeping the stock voltages all around and maintained stability running various software including BF2, photoshop, and dual instances of Prime95 to check temps.

I was wondering how this type of overclock would effect the expected life span of my components?

I've seen some people overclocking C2D while under-volting - assuming this would give a stable overclock is it reasonable to expect that there would be no negative impact on the life span?

BTW - I got 325 FSB on two 512 sticks of 533 Mhz ram scavenged from an old Dell system - I was kind of surprised by that.

twolfe18

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
for one, the actual speed of a cpu has very little to do with how hard you are going on it. the main thing to watch is your vcore. if you keep the vcore at stock you should be fine. if it is at stock, you can overclock as fast as you want as long as its stable, you wont do any damage to the cpu.

the other thing is, i dont know about you, but i like my cpu stable in every sense of the word. if you are using old dell ram, check the stability with prime95. run two instances of it, one on each core, for a couple hours, and if there are no errors, then your fine. otherwise you are not 100% stable.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
on C2Ds 1.45v is the safe spot for 24/7. The CPU will last 8+ years at this voltage.

BTW - I got 325 FSB on two 512 sticks of 533 Mhz ram scavenged from an old Dell system - I was kind of surprised by that.
Woah, I would be too! Run memtest for stability.

MAK-Daddy32

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Thanks for the responses and the information. I've already run dual instances of Prime95 for an hour or so with no errors, I'll have to try memtest.

I'm planning on picking up some better ram soon then maybe I'll try to push it a little further.