Cas Latency question (plz help me choose)

Wishjuh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Hi there,

I'm going to buy new parts around christmas.. I'm sure about almost all my parts.. but I'm not sure yet about the memory I have to buy.

The thing I'm certain of is that I will buy Corsair memory since it's the fastest memory around... but I have difficulty choosing between 2 models. These are the 2 models:

1GB x 2 (2GB) PC6400 DDR2 CL4 (Corsair XMS2, TWIN2X2048-6400C4PRO)
price: 350 euro's ($444 USD)

or

1GB x 2 (2GB) PC6400 DDR2 CL5 (Corsair XMS2, TWIN2X2048-6400C4)
Price: 298 euro's ($379 USD)

My question is... is the speed-difference worth the 50 euro's ($63 USD) extra? I'm not sure if the CL4 (pro) is so much faster then de CL5 edition...

The configuration it is for:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (S775, 2x2.4GHz, 4MB, 1066MHz FSB)
MB: Asus P5W DH Deluxe (S775, Chipset: Intel 975X)
Video: ASUS PCIe 512Mb EAX1950XTX/HTVDP (Ati Radeon X1950XTX)

I hope someone can give me advice on this...

Thanx!

Greetz, Wishjuh

battousai831

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
well first of all,are you gonna do ocing? if not then your giving your money out with ddr800 and core 2, cl on the other hand yes it helps but more in amd machines rather than intel at this time so its up to you, unless you do alot of mem intense tasks that require really high bandwith at low cl then your probably better off just getting 533 (or if you oc go with the 800)

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
It'll help if you overclock, but not by much.

1T isn't going to make a world of real-life differences, unless you look at worthless memory benchmarks and get happy off of that. I'd just get the CL5.

Plus, rwaritsdario is right, shop around more, you will find better deals.

Wishjuh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Hmm this is making it difficult for me... I must say I'm not planning to do oc... I never done that... and I'm afraid that I will let my system crash... I just want all my heavy games (like Doom 3, Quake 4 etc.) to run smoothly at very high resolutions and with the highest settings... And I'm willing to do everything to reach that goal... also spend maybe a little too much money for that... In the past I always screwed up when buying parts... and now I'm tired of that and I just want to buy very high-end components.... Toms hardware has shown me that Corsair is the fastest.. so that's why I thought I'd choose between these two models...

But now I see in the reactions here that I should look for better deals... but all the hardware goeroes I have spoken too (@ work etc.) say to me that I always should go for the known brands (like corsair) becoz they will have the better speeds with cas-latency... but now I'm confused...

Wishjuh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Look into other brands with the wanted specs, dont be a fanboy. Get your part numbers right too.

What do you mean with me getting my part numbers right? Becoz I just copy\pasted the part-numbers from a website :)

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I just want all my heavy games (like Doom 3, Quake 4 etc.) to run smoothly at very high resolutions and with the highest settings... And I'm willing to do everything to reach that goal... also spend maybe a little too much money for that... In the past I always screwed up when buying parts... and now I'm tired of that and I just want to buy very high-end components.... Toms hardware has shown me that Corsair is the fastest.. so that's why I thought I'd choose between these two models...

But now I see in the reactions here that I should look for better deals... but all the hardware goeroes I have spoken too (@ work etc.) say to me that I always should go for the known brands (like corsair) becoz they will have the better speeds with cas-latency... but now I'm confused...

If that's true, and you want the best res's and settings, then you're better off buying the less expensive RAM and putting that $$ into a better video card. The video card is what is going to let you run at the high res's and settings. RAM is farther down on the list.

Yeah, we're saying shop around. There's other well known brands too like... crucial, corsair, kingston, etc etc. Also if there's rebates that'll help too, etc.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I like this RAM, its CL3 667MHz/CL4 800Mhz Much better deal then the Corsair you are looking at. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820148017

Given, I know you guys don't have newegg across the pond, but I'm sure you can find something.

Also look into Geil, G.Skill, Wintecs Amp-x RAM.. for some reason, I read lots of issues regarding OCZ RAM compatibilty and such, but I have no personal experience so OCZ is also an option.

Wishjuh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I just want all my heavy games (like Doom 3, Quake 4 etc.) to run smoothly at very high resolutions and with the highest settings... And I'm willing to do everything to reach that goal... also spend maybe a little too much money for that... In the past I always screwed up when buying parts... and now I'm tired of that and I just want to buy very high-end components.... Toms hardware has shown me that Corsair is the fastest.. so that's why I thought I'd choose between these two models...

If that's true, and you want the best res's and settings, then you're better off buying the less expensive RAM and putting that $$ into a better video card. The video card is what is going to let you run at the high res's and settings. RAM is farther down on the list.

Yeah, we're saying shop around. There's other well known brands too like... crucial, corsair, kingston, etc etc. Also if there's rebates that'll help too, etc.

Well about the graphics-card... that's why I choose the fastest single GPU card available... the Radeon X1950XTX...

but thx for the advice... I'm looking into the Crucial technology chips mentioned in the other reply..

edit: hmm I am just looking @ the prices here in the Netherlands... and the Crusial 800Mhz memory is about the same price as the Corsair... well I'm just gonna look around.. I will find the memory I want :)

Wishjuh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
What do you mean with me getting my part numbers right?
No, because 'TWIN2X2048-6400C4' is CL4 not CL5 as youve stated.

@TSIMonster
Grr! the price raised!, but theyre still really damn good for 400~450Mhz at low latencies!

Damn typing errors @ that website... I just copy\pasted it from there..

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
wow... after a little search.. I found this memory:

GeIL Ultra 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) CL4-4-4-12

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144028

Sounds like a really good deal... too bad I cannot find the cas-timing.. (I wanna know @ which ns the memory is running)

Anyone an idea how much ns this memory is?

looks fine to me, still a little high and outta stock.