Cant get router (DHCP) to allocate ip

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
June 19, 2005 8:14:01 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain the
ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a fresh
in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
"automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried to
assign manual but it wont work.

I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any ideas

More about : router dhcp allocate

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 19, 2005 9:13:25 PM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:14:01 -0700, marc wrote:

> just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain the
> ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a fresh
> in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
> "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried to
> assign manual but it wont work.
>
> I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
> something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any ideas

Did you reinstall the driver fo rthe network card? Ids the XP firewall
blocking your access?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 20, 2005 12:12:59 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

In article <A0830BE5-44A3-4A6F-80DD-CE1F0C9BEDB3@microsoft.com>,
"marc" <marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain the
>ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a fresh
>in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
>"automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried to
>assign manual but it wont work.
>
>I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
>something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any ideas

Did you specify the right wireless network settings (SSID, encryption
type, encryption key) on the laptop's wireless connection?
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Related resources
June 20, 2005 5:37:56 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

The help and support section says that XP tries to do a normal DHCP IP
address configuration. If the DHCP server can't be reached, after 60
seconds it goes to the alternate configuration tab and does that.

You may already know this, but I have seen other folks with the same message
and did not know why. So it seems your Wireless card is not communicating
with the Router. As Bob said, can you think of anything blocking the
communication? Are you using MAC filtering, do you have a good signal, do
you have enough addresses available for one to be assigned? Any firewalls
in place?

Have you tried changing your laptop's address to see if it will redo the
DHCP? Try changing the range of addresses the DHCP server will give out,
which will force it to redo.

If you can't assign a manual IP address, try setting the alternate
configuration to whatever manual IP address and such and see if it will pick
that up. Of course, if it does, that means it is still not communicating
with the DHCP server.

I might try later to disable by DHCP server to see what happens.

Clark

Are there any logs you could check to see if something is showing up?
"marc" <marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain
> the
> ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a
> fresh
> in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
> "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried
> assign manual but it wont work.
>
> I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
> something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any
> ideas

June 20, 2005 5:47:07 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

if i turn off all my security settings in the router i can get the pc ao
accept dhcp as is assigned an ip and can connect to the internet, but as soon
as i put back on security (in the router) i go back to limited or no
connection and the ip is assigned by xp. ant ideas what could be causing
this I think it has to be sp2 problem ??

"marc" wrote:

> just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain the
> ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a fresh
> in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
> "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried to
> assign manual but it wont work.
>
> I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
> something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any ideas

June 20, 2005 6:28:43 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Well, I tried it and if I disabled my DHCP server, I got one of the Private
IP address notations. I did not get it until I had released and renewed the
IP addresses for the connection. I then set in the alternate configuration
tab an IP address that I knew was part of my workgroup and the assignment
worked. If my first post shows up, you will know what I am referring to.
(Network connections, properties, tcp/ip,properties, Alternate
configuration.) If nothing else you should be able to reach your router.

Clark

"marc" <marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain
> the
> ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a
> fresh
> in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
> "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried
> assign manual but it wont work.
>
> I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
> something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any
> ideas

June 20, 2005 6:28:44 AM

"Clark" wrote:

> Well, I tried it and if I disabled my DHCP server, I got one of the Private
> IP address notations. I did not get it until I had released and renewed the
> IP addresses for the connection. I then set in the alternate configuration
> tab an IP address that I knew was part of my workgroup and the assignment
> worked. If my first post shows up, you will know what I am referring to.
> (Network connections, properties, tcp/ip,properties, Alternate
> configuration.) If nothing else you should be able to reach your router.
>
> Clark
>
> "marc" <marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain
> > the
> > ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a
> > fresh
> > in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
> > "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried
> > assign manual but it wont work.
> >
> > I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
> > something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any
> > ideas

Hi guys thanks for the replys.
I have turned off windows firewall but this makes no difference
I have checked the wireless config, and the netgear connects (go green) to
indicate that all ssid and wep are correct but still it wont pick up dhcp.
I have tried to renew etc but this wont work either and also re booted the
gateway but this stills does not work, then lep top gets the info but the pc
wont. I have tried the reg edit to disable windows assigning ip but this
aslo fails. cant think what can be blocking the incoming dhcp. even when i
put all the right info into a manual connection it looks like its connected
but the connection does not work cant even ping the gateway
June 20, 2005 4:38:02 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I can get mac filter working and I am not broadcasting my ssid but I cant get
wep working at all. Never had this problem b4 any ideas, when I do put it on
DHCP is not able to assign the pc an ip

"marc" wrote:

> just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain the
> ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a fresh
> in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
> "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried to
> assign manual but it wont work.
>
> I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
> something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any ideas

June 20, 2005 5:57:08 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

What security settings in the router are you turning off? Does the router
have a built-in firewall? Are you using WEP or WAP or 802.1x? Are you
using MAC filtering? If you turn off the security settings in the router
and the system works, then SP2 is not the cause, it is the router. There
may be a conflict between more than one firewall.

Leave your computer with a known good IP address and try pinging the router
when you change something. If you are hardwired, the only security settings
that could effect the connection would be a built-in firewall in the router,
unless you have locked out that machine somehow.

Clark

> if i turn off all my security settings in the router i can get the pc ao
> accept dhcp as is assigned an ip and can connect to the internet, but as
> soon
> as i put back on security (in the router) i go back to limited or no
> connection and the ip is assigned by xp. ant ideas what could be causing
> this I think it has to be sp2 problem ??
>
> "marc" wrote:
>
>> just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain
>> the
>> ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a
>> fresh
>> in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
>> "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried
>> assign manual but it wont work.
>>
>> I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt
>> be
>> something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any
>> ideas

June 20, 2005 5:57:09 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I have 2 routers 1st is a modem router usr and the second is a wireless
router netgear wgt624. both routers have firewalls on etc. I have mac
filtering and wep security. This was the setup before i rebuilt my system.
now after i have rebuilt the system no security measure will work at all. I
have tried with just mac and wep security and still no joy. the pc wont pick
up the dhcp from the router with security and b4 it did, i do think the
problem is sp2 related as i have never had this problem when i rebuild my
systema and this is the first time I used a sp2 disk to rebuild my system

"Clark" wrote:

> What security settings in the router are you turning off? Does the router
> have a built-in firewall? Are you using WEP or WAP or 802.1x? Are you
> using MAC filtering? If you turn off the security settings in the router
> and the system works, then SP2 is not the cause, it is the router. There
> may be a conflict between more than one firewall.
>
> Leave your computer with a known good IP address and try pinging the router
> when you change something. If you are hardwired, the only security settings
> that could effect the connection would be a built-in firewall in the router,
> unless you have locked out that machine somehow.
>
> Clark
>
> "marc" <marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > if i turn off all my security settings in the router i can get the pc ao
> > accept dhcp as is assigned an ip and can connect to the internet, but as
> > soon
> > as i put back on security (in the router) i go back to limited or no
> > connection and the ip is assigned by xp. ant ideas what could be causing
> > this I think it has to be sp2 problem ??
> >
> > "marc" wrote:
> >
> >> just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain
> >> the
> >> ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a
> >> fresh
> >> in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
> >> "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried
> >> assign manual but it wont work.
> >>
> >> I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt
> >> be
> >> something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any
> >> ideas

June 20, 2005 7:34:41 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Maybe someone else will know, but SP2 added a built in Windows firewall. I
don't remember if you tried turning that off, but it appears from what you
say that there may be 3 firewalls now between you and the internet. If that
is the case, it seems a little excessive. The Windows Firewall settings are
in the Control Panel.

Clark

>I have 2 routers 1st is a modem router usr and the second is a wireless
> router netgear wgt624. both routers have firewalls on etc. I have mac
> filtering and wep security. This was the setup before i rebuilt my
> system.
> now after i have rebuilt the system no security measure will work at all.
> have tried with just mac and wep security and still no joy. the pc wont
> pick
> up the dhcp from the router with security and b4 it did, i do think the
> problem is sp2 related as i have never had this problem when i rebuild my
> systema and this is the first time I used a sp2 disk to rebuild my system
>
> "Clark" wrote:
>
>> What security settings in the router are you turning off? Does the
>> router
>> have a built-in firewall? Are you using WEP or WAP or 802.1x? Are you
>> using MAC filtering? If you turn off the security settings in the router
>> and the system works, then SP2 is not the cause, it is the router. There
>> may be a conflict between more than one firewall.
>>
>> Leave your computer with a known good IP address and try pinging the
>> router
>> when you change something. If you are hardwired, the only security
>> settings
>> that could effect the connection would be a built-in firewall in the
>> router,
>> unless you have locked out that machine somehow.
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "marc" <marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > if i turn off all my security settings in the router i can get the pc
>> > ao
>> > accept dhcp as is assigned an ip and can connect to the internet, but
>> > as
>> > soon
>> > as i put back on security (in the router) i go back to limited or no
>> > connection and the ip is assigned by xp. ant ideas what could be
>> > causing
>> > this I think it has to be sp2 problem ??

June 20, 2005 7:34:42 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I know !!! never had any problems before. I have turned off windows firewall .

The only difference I can see between laptop and pc in the services is this
if i go to dhcp client and open it up and go to the dependencies tab and
expand netbois over tcpip is the laptop has mpfirewl (i think is mcafee
firewall) but i could be wrong !!!! any other ideas

"Clark" wrote:

> Maybe someone else will know, but SP2 added a built in Windows firewall. I
> don't remember if you tried turning that off, but it appears from what you
> say that there may be 3 firewalls now between you and the internet. If that
> is the case, it seems a little excessive. The Windows Firewall settings are
> in the Control Panel.
>
> Clark
>
> "marc" <marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have 2 routers 1st is a modem router usr and the second is a wireless
> > router netgear wgt624. both routers have firewalls on etc. I have mac
> > filtering and wep security. This was the setup before i rebuilt my
> > system.
> > now after i have rebuilt the system no security measure will work at all.
> > have tried with just mac and wep security and still no joy. the pc wont
> > pick
> > up the dhcp from the router with security and b4 it did, i do think the
> > problem is sp2 related as i have never had this problem when i rebuild my
> > systema and this is the first time I used a sp2 disk to rebuild my system
> >
> > "Clark" wrote:
> >
> >> What security settings in the router are you turning off? Does the
> >> router
> >> have a built-in firewall? Are you using WEP or WAP or 802.1x? Are you
> >> using MAC filtering? If you turn off the security settings in the router
> >> and the system works, then SP2 is not the cause, it is the router. There
> >> may be a conflict between more than one firewall.
> >>
> >> Leave your computer with a known good IP address and try pinging the
> >> router
> >> when you change something. If you are hardwired, the only security
> >> settings
> >> that could effect the connection would be a built-in firewall in the
> >> router,
> >> unless you have locked out that machine somehow.
> >>
> >> Clark
> >>
> >> "marc" <marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

June 21, 2005 12:56:05 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I just went through mine and without changing anything on the router (DHCP
server)--
If I disabled WEP the DHCP worked.
If I used a different key (2 instead of 1) the DHCP worked.
If I used the wrong WEP key I was no longer able to connect to the router
and an autoconfiguration IP address was supplied.

From this, I would suggest redoing your WEP settings. Maybe you used a
different passphrase or typed in one of the digits incorrectly.

Clark

>I can get mac filter working and I am not broadcasting my ssid but I cant
>get
> wep working at all. Never had this problem b4 any ideas, when I do put it
> on
> DHCP is not able to assign the pc an ip
>
> "marc" wrote:
>
>> just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain
>> the
>> ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a
>> fresh
>> in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
>> "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried
>> assign manual but it wont work.
>>
>> I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt
>> be
>> something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any
>> ideas

June 21, 2005 1:22:08 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

And one more thing, pleeeaaase check to see if you have the 802.1x
authentication enabled. Every time I bring this up, it is like the Merrill
Lynch commercials were everyone gets really quiet!

Clark

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>I just went through mine and without changing anything on the router (DHCP
>server)--
> If I disabled WEP the DHCP worked.
> If I used a different key (2 instead of 1) the DHCP worked.
> If I used the wrong WEP key I was no longer able to connect to the router
> and an autoconfiguration IP address was supplied.
>
> From this, I would suggest redoing your WEP settings. Maybe you used a
> different passphrase or typed in one of the digits incorrectly.
>
> Clark
>
> "marc" <marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I can get mac filter working and I am not broadcasting my ssid but I cant
>>get
>> wep working at all. Never had this problem b4 any ideas, when I do put
>> it on
>> DHCP is not able to assign the pc an ip
>>
>> "marc" wrote:
>>
>>> just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain
>>> the
>>> ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a
>>> fresh
>>> in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
>>> "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried
>>> assign manual but it wont work.
>>>
>>> I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt
>>> be
>>> something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any
>>> ideas

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 21, 2005 9:08:46 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Where is that setting?

Arch

> And one more thing, pleeeaaase check to see if you have the 802.1x
> authentication enabled. Every time I bring this up, it is like the
> Merrill Lynch commercials were everyone gets really quiet!
>
> Clark
>
> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>>I just went through mine and without changing anything on the router (DHCP
>>server)--
>> If I disabled WEP the DHCP worked.
>> If I used a different key (2 instead of 1) the DHCP worked.
>> If I used the wrong WEP key I was no longer able to connect to the router
>> and an autoconfiguration IP address was supplied.
>>
>> From this, I would suggest redoing your WEP settings. Maybe you used a
>> different passphrase or typed in one of the digits incorrectly.
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "marc" <marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I can get mac filter working and I am not broadcasting my ssid but I cant
>>>get
>>> wep working at all. Never had this problem b4 any ideas, when I do put
>>> it on
>>> DHCP is not able to assign the pc an ip

June 21, 2005 5:17:41 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

If you look at the properties of your wireless network, on the
Authentication tab there is a check box for 802.1x. It is used for
smartcard or other type verifications. I believe it is enabled by default,
so I would think it should not interfere with the connection. My problem is
my router doesn't do that so I can't check. There seem to be quite a few
folks that cannot connect to their networks, I am just trying to find other
reasons for the problem.

Clark

"Arch Willingham" <nospam_arch@tuparks.com> wrote in message
> Where is that setting?
>
> Arch
>
> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>> And one more thing, pleeeaaase check to see if you have the 802.1x
>> authentication enabled. Every time I bring this up, it is like the
>> Merrill Lynch commercials were everyone gets really quiet!
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>>>I just went through mine and without changing anything on the router
>>>(DHCP server)--
>>> If I disabled WEP the DHCP worked.
>>> If I used a different key (2 instead of 1) the DHCP worked.
>>> If I used the wrong WEP key I was no longer able to connect to the
>>> router and an autoconfiguration IP address was supplied.
>>>
>>> From this, I would suggest redoing your WEP settings. Maybe you used a
>>> different passphrase or typed in one of the digits incorrectly.
>>>
>>> Clark
>>>
>>> "marc" <marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

June 21, 2005 6:26:04 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

hi guys thanks for all the help. the cause of the trouble is this
"Microsoft's critical update hotfix Q815485 causes wireless drivers to fail."
managed to track this down now i have moved from wep to wea and its working
the other solution available would be to uninstal the hotfix
"Clark" wrote:

> If you look at the properties of your wireless network, on the
> Authentication tab there is a check box for 802.1x. It is used for
> smartcard or other type verifications. I believe it is enabled by default,
> so I would think it should not interfere with the connection. My problem is
> my router doesn't do that so I can't check. There seem to be quite a few
> folks that cannot connect to their networks, I am just trying to find other
> reasons for the problem.
>
> Clark
>
> "Arch Willingham" <nospam_arch@tuparks.com> wrote in message
> > Where is that setting?
> >
> > Arch
> >
> > "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> >> And one more thing, pleeeaaase check to see if you have the 802.1x
> >> authentication enabled. Every time I bring this up, it is like the
> >> Merrill Lynch commercials were everyone gets really quiet!
> >>
> >> Clark
> >>
> >> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message

June 22, 2005 2:37:44 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

If I read the hotfix correctly, the update made it mandatory to use the
802.1x protocol if you are using WAP. My wireless laptop has an AEGIS
Protocol for 802.1x just above the TCP/IP protocol in the Wireless Network
Connections Properties-General tab. You might see if you can add the
protocol if you don't have it. I don't remember seeing anything from
Microsoft on this and none of the Microsoft experts have brought it up.

I do not have that Hotfix installed as of yet.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815485

Clark

> hi guys thanks for all the help. the cause of the trouble is this
> "Microsoft's critical update hotfix Q815485 causes wireless drivers to
> fail."
> managed to track this down now i have moved from wep to wea and its
> working
> the other solution available would be to uninstal the hotfix
> "Clark" wrote:
>
>> If you look at the properties of your wireless network, on the
>> Authentication tab there is a check box for 802.1x. It is used for
>> smartcard or other type verifications. I believe it is enabled by
>> default,
>> so I would think it should not interfere with the connection. My problem
>> is
>> my router doesn't do that so I can't check. There seem to be quite a few
>> folks that cannot connect to their networks, I am just trying to find
>> other
>> reasons for the problem.
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "Arch Willingham" <nospam_arch@tuparks.com> wrote in message
>> > Where is that setting?
>> >
>> > Arch
>> >
>> > "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message

June 22, 2005 7:49:14 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

See if you have the latest Windows updates. There may be a fix in there
somewhere.

Clark

"marc" <marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi guys thanks for all the help. the cause of the trouble is this
> "Microsoft's critical update hotfix Q815485 causes wireless drivers to
> fail."
> managed to track this down now i have moved from wep to wea and its
> working
> the other solution available would be to uninstal the hotfix
> "Clark" wrote:
>
>> If you look at the properties of your wireless network, on the
>> Authentication tab there is a check box for 802.1x. It is used for
>> smartcard or other type verifications. I believe it is enabled by
>> default,
>> so I would think it should not interfere with the connection. My problem
>> is
>> my router doesn't do that so I can't check. There seem to be quite a few
>> folks that cannot connect to their networks, I am just trying to find
>> other
>> reasons for the problem.
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "Arch Willingham" <nospam_arch@tuparks.com> wrote in message
>> > Where is that setting?
>> >
>> > Arch
>> >
>> > "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message

June 22, 2005 7:49:15 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I got this info regarding the hotfix from netgear support
"Internet Connection Fails in Windows XP After Installing Microsoft's Hotfix
Q815485

Cause

Microsoft's critical update hotfix Q815485 causes wireless drivers to fail.

Fix

Hotfixes are Microsoft updates which they regard as critical. Hotfix Q815485
gives XP users WPA the new Wi-Fi security. Unfortunately, whether you use WPA
or not, this Hotfix may cause wireless drivers to malfunction.

This Microsoft problem has affected many companies.

Resolve this one of three ways, depending on whether you use WPA, and
whether your network devices have their own WPA configuration utilities.

Resolution If You Don't Use WPA

If the hotfix is installed, and it is stopping your connectivity, remove the
hotfix as described in the section below.
Resolution If You use WPA, and some of Your Network Devices do not Have
Their Own WPA Configuration Utility

Install the hotfix and use the Windows WPA configuration utility.
Resolution If You Use WPA, and all Your Network Devices have Their Own
Configuration Utility

Install the hotfix, but don't use the Windows WPA configuration utility. Use
the network devices' own configuration utilitiy, instead.

To Remove the Hotfix

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
Click Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q815485.
Click Remove. You might see a message that programs won't work if the update
is removed. Ignore it, and click Yes to remove the update.
Restart your computer.
Rerun the Smart Display Setup Wizard.

To Install or to Restore the Hotfix

Link to Restore Microsoft Hotfix"
link http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101214.asp.

I did have this hotfix on the new install disk i made, which in turn gave me
all the problems with security settings. I do have AEGIS enabled on the
laptop and pc

"Clark" wrote:

> See if you have the latest Windows updates. There may be a fix in there
> somewhere.
>
> Clark
>
> "marc" <marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi guys thanks for all the help. the cause of the trouble is this
> > "Microsoft's critical update hotfix Q815485 causes wireless drivers to
> > fail."
> > managed to track this down now i have moved from wep to wea and its
> > working
> > the other solution available would be to uninstal the hotfix
> > "Clark" wrote:
> >
> >> If you look at the properties of your wireless network, on the
> >> Authentication tab there is a check box for 802.1x. It is used for
> >> smartcard or other type verifications. I believe it is enabled by
> >> default,
> >> so I would think it should not interfere with the connection. My problem
> >> is
> >> my router doesn't do that so I can't check. There seem to be quite a few
> >> folks that cannot connect to their networks, I am just trying to find
> >> other
> >> reasons for the problem.
> >>
> >> Clark
> >>
> >> "Arch Willingham" <nospam_arch@tuparks.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 27, 2005 6:01:24 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

sorry if this sounds dumb, but all my updates are numbered way above
88000. How do I know is this hotfix is installed?
June 28, 2005 2:26:07 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

The hot fixes are 6 digits, you are only using 5. The one to which marc
refers is 815485--way above 88000.

Clark
<martijnhabing@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> sorry if this sounds dumb, but all my updates are numbered way above
> 88000. How do I know is this hotfix is installed?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 28, 2005 2:48:26 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Thanks, you're right. However, I see no numbers starting below 88... I
certainly don't see 815485, when should that have been installed?
June 28, 2005 5:43:36 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I don't have the update he is referring to either, but some folks might. It
might also have been rolled into another update to consolidate them. The
815485 seems to have been done in 2004.

It basically says that if you have an Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN MiniPCI
network adapter with version 1.1.6.0 (or earlier) drivers that the update to
WPA will break your WEP and you need to update the drivers.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821442

This may only be one of the references, but it does apply to me, even though
I don't seem to have the problem. I did, however, just get the latest Intel
driver from Intel and not Dell. Maybe this was part of the problem when I
was getting a 250ms ping time to my wireless and after I replaced the driver
it went to 3ms. :-)

> Thanks, you're right. However, I see no numbers starting below 88... I
> certainly don't see 815485, when should that have been installed?

August 28, 2005 1:20:05 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I have the same problem and my built-in wireless is Atheros but I do not see
anhy update driver for this device. Any idea?

"Clark" wrote:

> I don't have the update he is referring to either, but some folks might. It
> might also have been rolled into another update to consolidate them. The
> 815485 seems to have been done in 2004.
>
> It basically says that if you have an Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN MiniPCI
> network adapter with version 1.1.6.0 (or earlier) drivers that the update to
> WPA will break your WEP and you need to update the drivers.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821442
>
> This may only be one of the references, but it does apply to me, even though
> I don't seem to have the problem. I did, however, just get the latest Intel
> driver from Intel and not Dell. Maybe this was part of the problem when I
> was getting a 250ms ping time to my wireless and after I replaced the driver
> it went to 3ms. :-)
>
> Clark
>
> <martijnhabing@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, you're right. However, I see no numbers starting below 88... I
> > certainly don't see 815485, when should that have been installed?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 16, 2005 6:28:08 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

In the end I left out KB93066 and KB93756, and it works now. I have no
idea where the problem lies. I have a HP laptop with a broadcom
802.11b wireless card. The wireless router is a canyon.
!