Switching OS between drives

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I have a machine that already has Windows 7 installed.

I am buying a SSD to place my OS, and a few games on.

How do I uninstall Windows 7 from my original drive (That has OS + Data on it), and install it on the SSD?

Should the same disc work? Or would I have to go out and buy a completely new OS just because I have a new hard drive?

Thanks for the help.

Yes the same disc should work.

***First off, once you get your SSD - plug it into your computer first. Update the firmware for your SSD -before- your proceed so you know your SSD will be good for a while (in terms of firmware).

1) Backup any date you require onto a seperate hard drive (dont worry about programs...those can be installed later). This includes work documents, pictures, videos, whatever else you may need.

2) After backing up your data on a seperate hard drive, make sure its disconnected from your computer (also disconnect any other HDD you may have, so that only the SSD is plugged in).

3) Plug in your SSD into the SATA slot your original HDD was plugged into.

4) Turn on your computer and boot to the Windows 7 Disc.

5) This should allow you to install your Windows 7 onto your SSD. Note: Windows 7 should align your SSD properly, so you shouldn't have to worry about aligning your SSD.

6) You will need your Windows 7 key to activate - make sure you have it handy when it asks for it. Otherwise i think you have a bout 30 days (to activate).

Let us know if you need more information.

You can format your Hard drive which has windows on it. You can do this once you have your SSD installed (and all your files backed up).

No you do not need to format your SSD to update your firmware.

Edit: It's not good to format an SSD. It will only wear it out quicker. If you do want to/need to format, do a Quick format of the SSD.

Note: I just realized you said your OS is on his HDD. In that case you can download a Windows 7 OEM ISO (which includes 32bit/64bit OS) and burn it to DVD/copy to USB. Please note this may void your warrenty so proceed with caution (using an OEM copy).

The download will probably be in the multiple gigs, but will be well worth it for repairs/ and will be handy to keep.

Note: You can download the Win 7 OEM ISO as it is legitimate. You do require the key though.

http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/

Once your done downloading your version of Windows 7 (i suggest the 64bit version of whatever you have), follow the steps i provided. You may need to use a download manager so it does not get corrupted. I like free download manager.

You will need your key from your original OS and make sure you use the same Win 7 version with your key (if you have home premium, select the home premium on the Windows 7 DVD/USB) It doesnt matter if you use 32 or 64bit as the key will work for both.

TRENDING THREADS