Sign in with
Your question

AMD screws partners ... gives everything to Dell

Last response: in CPUs
November 1, 2006 4:31:19 PM

I'd say it might just reflect some growing pains that AMD is going through as it expands it's business. It doesn't make good business sense to abandon their previous customers in favor of just two larger customers. IMHO.
November 1, 2006 4:32:56 PM

I would much rather have AMD survive and grow and if it means temporarily abandoning the enthusiasts so be it. And it's not a total abandonment. It's not like we don't have great Intel parts to use as replacements. AMD is going through a transition period, with the ATI acquisition and the move to 65nm. They need some breathing room.
Related resources
November 1, 2006 4:45:18 PM

It's a risky move, probably better in the long run, but will definitly hurt them in the short run. AMD has been taking some big risks these last couple of weeks... we'll have to see how this all pans out.
November 1, 2006 4:57:06 PM

And Glen Coffield wins the award for the most stupid analogies in a single quote.

Quote:
"I'm being treated like the red-headed stepchild. Intel was always a company for the big guys, and AMD was always a company for the small guys like us. The channel made AMD. Now they're at the dance with Dell, and they've thrown us to the wolves."
November 1, 2006 5:09:58 PM

I disagree. Yes Dell is taking up a lot of chips but the lower prices mean that distros can buy larger orders. Also, AMD admitted that they underestimated the demand for laptops. newegg and other retailers seem to be stocked up on AMD. NEwegg even has the 5200+ for sale so there is more to meet the eye than just Dell's orders(they did order 20 million) 8O

Again, I would say that AMD is more than likely stockpiling TONS of Brisbane chips so XMas shoudl see probably a million of them hit the channel. If they are true to their word of ramping Chartered to 65nm in 07, they will be stocked well enough to get the 35-40% share they DESERVE.

Go AMD. All hail the duopoly.
November 1, 2006 5:13:32 PM

Quote:
I would much rather have AMD survive and grow and if it means temporarily abandoning the enthusiasts so be it. And it's not a total abandonment. It's not like we don't have great Intel parts to use as replacements. AMD is going through a transition period, with the ATI acquisition and the move to 65nm. They need some breathing room.

I think AMD is having a bad prediction on their processor sales. And also the ramp up of Fab 36's 65nm is slower than expected.

We will see the effect of Fab 36's ramp up in early 2007, hopefully.
November 1, 2006 5:52:55 PM

It's a good move for them, they need to strengthen their share in the market, I probably would have done the same, going more mainstream and less specialty shops... the online stores probably have some stock, but I doubt that will last much longer...

Anyways, we'll have to see how AMD fares when it's in the mainstream market, can they really capture a larger amount of the desktop market? Or is the partnership with Dell too early...?
a c 448 à CPUs
a c 111 À AMD
November 1, 2006 6:43:41 PM

This is simply short term growing pains for AMD. Supplying CPU to Dell is a major step forward for AMD because it will further ensure AMD's continued existance in the future. AMD currently just doesn't have the manufacturing capacity that Intel has at the moment. I think I read somwhere that Core 2 Duo production only accounts for around 20% of their total capacity, but I'm digressing. It's possible that some of AMD's "smaller" partners will switch over to Intel, but I'm sure AMD will allocate CPUs to them as soon a possible.
November 1, 2006 6:49:26 PM

Quote:
It's a good move for them, they need to strengthen their share in the market, I probably would have done the same, going more mainstream and less specialty shops... the online stores probably have some stock, but I doubt that will last much longer...

Anyways, we'll have to see how AMD fares when it's in the mainstream market, can they really capture a larger amount of the desktop market? Or is the partnership with Dell too early...?

I think I was not expressing clearly. :wink:

The demand for CPU is much higher than expected and AMD simply cannot fulfil the demand with the slow ramp-up Fab 36 and overloaded Fab 30. Chartered Semiconductor just cannot help much.

Once Fab 36 ramps up with 65nm fabrication technology, the supply strain will be solved.
November 1, 2006 8:23:24 PM

I disagree. Yes Dell is taking up a lot of chips but the lower prices mean that distros can buy larger orders. Also, AMD admitted that they underestimated the demand for laptops. newegg and other retailers seem to be stocked up on AMD. NEwegg even has the 5200+ for sale so there is more to meet the eye than just Dell's orders(they did order 20 million) 8O

Again, I would say that AMD is more than likely stockpiling TONS of Brisbane chips so XMas shoudl see probably a million of them hit the channel. If they are true to their word of ramping Chartered to 65nm in 07, they will be stocked well enough to get the 35-40% share they DESERVE.

Baron a pleasure to finally be able to say somethign to you(been trolling for a while, since MMM).
And everyone says intel is evil look at AMD telling the little guys to GFT while the big guys get everything. Put the people that put you where you are on the trash not very smart.
While i do wish AMD to stay alive(which they will) lately they have been very conceided, we all know where that will take them.
November 1, 2006 8:57:48 PM

I just kind of find it ironic, that the enthusiast community that helped AMD rise from the ashes(so to speak), is second fiddle now. All the AMD fans that thought AMD cared for them, and not money...well, now they can see they were wrong. It's all about the money, always was, always will be. I can foresee this situation resulting in some jaded fans. Time will tell. I don't fault AMD for this decision, afterall, they are in business. I just hope some of the diehard's realize this. :?
November 1, 2006 9:17:06 PM

Right. I seem to recall you "stated" that the reason x2 5000s were in short supply back in july was that they were being horded by the OEMs for back to school sales. Well, we all saw how accurate that prdeiction was.
November 1, 2006 9:17:24 PM

I just kind of find it ironic, that the enthusiast community that helped AMD rise from the ashes(so to speak), is second fiddle now. All the AMD fans that thought AMD cared for them, and not money...well, now they can see they were wrong. It's all about the money, always was, always will be. I can foresee this situation resulting in some jaded fans. Time will tell. I don't fault AMD for this decision, afterall, they are in business. I just hope some of the diehard's realize this. :?
That does not apply to Baron, he just came thru my door with some (inset prefered lubricant here) and said, did you hear AMD is going to screw us all little guys YAY. :lol: 

P.S. Yeah i dont like you Baron sorry.
November 1, 2006 9:20:58 PM

We're back to this topic again?
November 1, 2006 9:24:05 PM

Quote:
We're back to this topic again?

In recognition of one of his many failed predictions, since, as you well know, he insists he always right.

BTW, welcome back :) 
November 1, 2006 9:25:00 PM

Thanks. I think I killed my back moving these boxes.
So what other FUD have I missed?
November 1, 2006 9:39:42 PM

Damn, and I was hopping to do some real FUD busting.
November 1, 2006 9:43:27 PM

If thats the case, I'll go write another review. This time for the 3060. Cal me back here if something exciting pops up.
November 1, 2006 9:59:04 PM

The same enthusiast community is now turning to Intel C2D, so they don't care...

The day peoples will buy product instead of a name, they'll be way happier!
November 1, 2006 10:14:42 PM

Quote:
I don't think AMD is screwing their partners. What is the best purchase nowadays? Intel. Period. I believe Dell is the one being screwed over here, since they are having to push a product that has less appeal than the Core 2 Duo. Today it's more profitable to buy Intel than AMD. this may change, but that's how it stands today.

It's a risky move, probably better in the long run, but will definitly hurt them in the short run. AMD has been taking some big risks these last couple of weeks... we'll have to see how this all pans out.

Not only big, but HUGE!

they're losing space in the CPU war to Intel, since they haven't matched the Core 2 Duo yet.

When it comes to DX10, nVidia is alone in the spotlight. Although ATi does have a product lined up for DX10 (the N600), they haven't made much fuss about it, so that leaves most customers unaware that they will have an option when it comes to DX10 cards.

Don't think that most customers think like most people in this forums. We know about the N600 because we are inquisite when it comes to technology. Most people who are potential buyers for the DX10 cards when they are first released (early adopters) don't even know about the N600... all everyone is hearing and reading about is the 8800. That - as I mentioned - leaves nvidia alone in the competition. There is no expectation about ATI products as far as the average consumer is concerned.

Theres quite a few incorrect assumptions here:

Dell is not getting screwed. They can sell the AMD chips and make money, you cna easily sell less than optimal systems, customers were uninformed in the days of the P4 and they're jsut as uninformed now.

Nextly AMD has yet to lose share to Intel despite the Core2Duo's... the real victims are Transmeta and Via, both Intel and AMD gained market share (and year over year Intel is still down).

As far as DX10 goes your right most customers aren't like the forum members. They don't build their own PC and odds are they aren't willing to shell out the 500-600 bucks the OEM's are going to want for the DX10 cards initially. The only people who will pay the price for DX10 cards initially will be people who actually know what they're doing and a very small minority of people to whom money doesn't matter.

I'm not on AMD's side on this, but I just don't believe the average customer knows what they are buying (considering the questions I get at work from people buying PC's I know they don't know what they are buying). THrow in the ever "helpful" sales person and whatever a company needs to sell is what is going ot sell.
November 1, 2006 10:18:20 PM

Quote:
I believe Dell is the one being screwed over here, since they are having to push a product that has less appeal than the Core 2 Duo.

Isn't this the exact same situation that they have been in for the past 3 years? Only its been Intel with the lesser hardware rather than AMD. They have great marketing people. When it's time, they'll push it and then make boatloads for both AMD and Dell. Let's just hope that's soon... for AMD's sake. :?
November 1, 2006 10:56:36 PM

Quote:

I think AMD is having a bad prediction on their processor sales. And also the ramp up of Fab 36's 65nm is slower than expected.

We will see the effect of Fab 36's ramp up in early 2007, hopefully.

No, they are ramping Fab36 to 65nm not 90nm so the 90nm chips if any will get less and less. One 300mm wafer @ 65nm will make more than twice the amount of chips as 200mm @ 90nm from Fab 30.
!