Sign in with
Your question

How I miss the old THG

Last response: in Site Feedback
March 7, 2008 6:08:40 PM

Haven't posted in months. Things went downhill after the sale and THG was never the same. I saw that Digg is being sold too, so another good one bites the dust.

This was posted on the Digg story and I just couldnt help putting it up here.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6768/tomhi2.png

A tribute to the old THG. May you rest in peace.

More about : miss thg

March 7, 2008 7:19:52 PM

wtf? When was Toms sold?
March 7, 2008 7:46:53 PM

Yeh

Liquid nitrogen cooled P4's @5Ghz... That was the real THG... They don't even list current GPU's in the charts and its gone to the dogs...

They were sold in April 2007 for a lousy $5 million USD:
http://mashable.com/2007/04/08/toms-hardware/

Bob :hello: 
Related resources
March 7, 2008 7:59:05 PM

That explains why Toms articles suck.

Maybe I'll have to have Anand in my bookmarks toolbar instead of Toms. Especially since the last article they wrote about the 8500 was very technical and informative (And well written).
March 7, 2008 8:46:52 PM

In my opinion, things were sliding downhill for a few months before the sale. Probably this related to the impending sale and lack of interest. Those who have been around for a long time might remember how the forum terms of use were being ignored by the management and the whole forum was going downhill. When the new management started trying to enforce the rules, it was a bit haphazard to say the least. This resulted in some people getting well deserved bans, but some continued to get away with too much, and others were running into hastles for no good reason. So many members finally left.

Again, in my opinion, I think the present forum is being run from the management side a lot better than it was a year ago. The editorial and news content is fairly poor, and I have my own complaints with it, but I can get solid news from other places and debate such here. Also, I sometimes find someone with a problem that I can help. Not often, but sometimes.

No website is going to satisfy everyone, you, me, or someone else. The trick is to put together a combination that does well overall. That said, no one is forced to stay around. Anyone can come or go as they please.
March 7, 2008 8:54:02 PM

Quote:
They hired Charlie, what more do we need to say.

What color and type of flowers are needed for the gravesite?

Yes, Charlie's hiring does say a lot.
March 7, 2008 8:54:37 PM

Quote:
They hired Charlie, what more do we need to say.

Charlie was hired by TG Daily ... a completely separate company. THG links to their content, but owners and management are separate.
March 7, 2008 8:56:44 PM

Thanks Jake for clearing that up. I know that I was mistaken in my impression, as well as others probably are.
March 7, 2008 8:57:44 PM

Quote:
Charlie was hired by TG Daily ... a completely separate company. THG links to their content, but owners and management are separate.

Thanks for clearing that up.

That'd be like my sister marrying Charlie instead of me; it's still wrong, but not as bad.
March 7, 2008 9:39:33 PM

Agree, THG is not the same.
March 8, 2008 3:04:35 AM

I wasn't here back then so I can't be complaining
March 8, 2008 4:49:57 AM

Been here for about 12 years. Things have seriously gone downhill from Tom's being one of the best extreme hardware sites, to just one step up from console-tard land.
March 8, 2008 5:29:24 AM

Quote:

Care to let us in on who owns TG Daily?
March 8, 2008 7:04:34 AM

Quote:

Since you have weighed in here, can you fill in the details of why Dr. Pabst left? As I remember, it was over a dispute of who's intellectual property a particular article was, and in the ensuing sliinging match Omid somehow became what? Owner, managing editor?

Anyway, in my opinion that's when the quality of the site started sliding. I believe that the relationship of Dr. Pabst and THG ended ~Dec. 2005.
March 8, 2008 8:40:31 AM

Quote:
Yeh

Liquid nitrogen cooled P4's @5Ghz... That was the real THG... They don't even list current GPU's in the charts and its gone to the dogs...

They were sold in April 2007 for a lousy $5 million USD:
http://mashable.com/2007/04/08/toms-hardware/

Bob :hello: 

I miss those reports as well (was Tom's still in the older yellow layout at that point in time?). The articles may not be as detailed or as extreme but that's because the new owners are trying to reach out to a larger market. You may have noticed that over the last year there have been a lot more video reporting on Toms then ever before, this is as result of the explosion of Youtube and it impact as popular medium of uploading broadcasting information, the new owners are simply trying to reach out to that sort of market or the Youtube generation.

Saying that though, I still think there is a large enough market for the sort of things older members like to read about (like you mentioned the P4 5Ghz on liquid nitrogen for example) and it anyone was has covered Business Studies will know it%u2019s a dangerous strategy to ignore your existing consumer base.
March 8, 2008 9:15:33 AM

Quote:
Since you have weighed in here, can you fill in the details of why Dr. Pabst left? As I remember, it was over a dispute of who's intellectual property a particular article was, and in the ensuing sliinging match Omid somehow became what? Owner, managing editor?

Anyway, in my opinion that's when the quality of the site started sliding. I believe that the relationship of Dr. Pabst and THG ended ~Dec. 2005.

Tom left the editing game because he got fed up with the fanboy crap almost 6 years ago now,IIRC.
He did do a final editorial about 2 years ago about journalistic integrity, and the general lack thereof on a couple of other sites, which may be what you are calling intellectual property.
If you are real nice to Fredi, he may give you more information. He and Tom go back even further than THG. Just remember, he is the head mod, and the only one with the power of a permanent ban.
March 8, 2008 1:17:45 PM

The site would be so much better if Roos and Schmidt were moved on ... their sub standard articles are dragging the site down.

Tom remained an independent ... and was happy to take on Intel .. or anyone.

The current testers now wouldn't dream of upsetting them.

Delete my post ... I'll keep saying the same thing.

March 8, 2008 2:21:16 PM

I have been coming here since 96-97 ,about the time of my first build(thanks Packard Bell).This place was possiblly the best hardware site back then.It has changed alot,I seldom read there articles,and just start posting
March 8, 2008 2:47:21 PM

Discovering hardware sites like Toms was quite a revelation for me, back in 97. I heard a rumor that you could open up your case and move a couple of jumpers and turn your Pentium 166 into a 233 or even 250! So I went to Toms and also to www.sysopt.com, another trailblazing hardware site back in the day, learned a few tricks and it worked! I've been hooked ever since. Than you Tom.
March 8, 2008 2:57:00 PM

Ditto. Been coming here since the mid-ninetys. The forums are pretty good. But the main site is just really poor these days, not even close to what it used be.
THG used to packed with completely unbaised, thorough reviews and tests, and Tom said exactly what he thought and laid it flat on the line. It WAS absolutely great.
March 8, 2008 4:05:01 PM

I've been here for a bit now.

I have noticed that there have been less actual technical people who offer real hardware advice. Now it is just a sham of people wanting PC kit advice...

I don't like the load times, it's a shadow of what it used to be...
March 8, 2008 4:25:10 PM

I agree where have all the people gone that used to want help. Every other post these days is asking for buying advice or rate my build. The annoying thing is that so many people have built the same systems that just one look at a different thread will answer all there questions.
March 8, 2008 4:31:14 PM

So, to anandtech it is?
March 8, 2008 4:45:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up.

That'd be like my sister marrying Charlie instead of me; it's still wrong, but not as bad.

lol i got to hand it to you that made me laugh.

he might be quite a nice bloke actually lol
March 8, 2008 4:56:32 PM

I can only hope, that the current staff reads all of these admonishments and heeds them.

March 8, 2008 5:24:31 PM

You'll be surprised to note they will not. I have yet to hear of a single problem getting to the suits at TH.

I only come here for the 'other' forum. Maybe have a casual look up here, but then you're get the same thing. On occasion linux and networking, but they have changed alot! Hell, just look in the proper forums for linux and networking if you have a problem.

Back in my day there were actual questions and articles that HAD information. They also had moderators in every section too. That too has gone.

How I miss the old people...

There should be a sticky: If it's working leave it alone, if it's broken fix it yourself and if you have a build question, look somewhere else.
March 8, 2008 10:09:41 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU-Components to section Bestofmedia's Site Feedback by Jake_Barnes
March 18, 2008 12:42:09 AM

[dummy post to flag this thread for further review]
!