HP scanjet 4c

My HP scanjet 4c, after working fine for 3-4 years now will start
down the scanning track, then stop after going 1-2
inches; after a minute or two, I get an error message saying that my
scanner has made an error. I've opened mine up to see if there was
something obstructing a smooth ride on the tracks, but find nothing.
I've also uninstalled and reinstalled software. In the device manager,
it says my scsi controller is working fine without conflicts. If you
hear of a solution, or things to try, please help. Is anyone aware of
a web site dealing with scanner repair or troubleshooting? or a repair
shop for scanners?

David
7 answers Last reply
More about scanjet

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:15:34 GMT in alt.comp.periphs.scanner, David
    Causier <davidcausier@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >My HP scanjet 4c, after working fine for 3-4 years now will start
    >down the scanning track, then stop after going 1-2
    >inches; after a minute or two, I get an error message saying that my
    >scanner has made an error. I've opened mine up to see if there was
    >something obstructing a smooth ride on the tracks, but find nothing.
    >I've also uninstalled and reinstalled software. In the device manager,
    >it says my scsi controller is working fine without conflicts. If you
    >hear of a solution, or things to try, please help. Is anyone aware of
    >a web site dealing with scanner repair or troubleshooting? or a repair
    >shop for scanners?

    Call HP support and see what they can do, if you can get a local
    human.

    Brian.Inglis@CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
    fake address use address above to reply

    "David Causier" <davidcausier@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > My HP scanjet 4c, after working fine for 3-4 years now will start
    > down the scanning track, then stop after going 1-2
    > inches; after a minute or two, I get an error message saying that my
    > scanner has made an error. I've opened mine up to see if there was
    > something obstructing a smooth ride on the tracks, but find nothing.
    > I've also uninstalled and reinstalled software. In the device manager,
    > it says my scsi controller is working fine without conflicts. If you
    > hear of a solution, or things to try, please help. Is anyone aware of
    > a web site dealing with scanner repair or troubleshooting? or a repair
    > shop for scanners?
    >
    > David
    Turn off the power before this test.

    Did you try moving the carriage with your hand, does it move smoothly?
    It may need a light oiling.
    The rails may be dry and the oil may be crusted.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    > David Causier <davidcausier@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    > ... now will start down the scanning track, then
    > stop after going 1-2 inches; after a minute or two,
    > I get an error message saying that my
    > scanner has made an error.

    To begin with the bleedin' obvious, have you recently
    changed anything in your SCSI or system config? Any
    chance the dog chewed on the cable?

    Added any software that might be SCSI or scanner-aware?

    Anyway, re-seating the SCSI connector and terminator is
    always worth a try.

    I get that error a couple of times a year on my 4c, but
    it never immediately repeats.

    > I've also uninstalled and reinstalled software.

    Which software? (and what SCSI host adaptor? what OS?)

    If using DeskScan, it will always attempt to install the
    ancient NCR/Symbios ASPI layer, even if you select
    "install to existing SCSI". In Win9x, you usually need
    to also re-install Adaptec's aspi32.exe (if you have an
    Adaptec card and/or Adaptec SCSI app).

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    I have the same identical problem, I thought it was a driver problem because
    it only started happening when I switched to xp. It doesn't happen all the
    time though and that was my next thought a scsi cable. The problem is
    identical to yours though and if you find any answers please post.
    Thanks
    "David Causier" <davidcausier@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > My HP scanjet 4c, after working fine for 3-4 years now will start
    > down the scanning track, then stop after going 1-2
    > inches; after a minute or two, I get an error message saying that my
    > scanner has made an error. I've opened mine up to see if there was
    > something obstructing a smooth ride on the tracks, but find nothing.
    > I've also uninstalled and reinstalled software. In the device manager,
    > it says my scsi controller is working fine without conflicts. If you
    > hear of a solution, or things to try, please help. Is anyone aware of
    > a web site dealing with scanner repair or troubleshooting? or a repair
    > shop for scanners?
    >
    > David
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    I believe that on HP's website it states that the 4C will not work properly
    on XP and no update is available. They suggest using the built in driver
    that XP installs automatically when it detects the scanner and no other HP
    scanner S/W is installed. They say that this will give "limited
    functionality".

    I too have a 4C running on W98 S/E. It has been a great scanner right from
    OS2 days. With that in mind I bought an HP Scanjet 4070 for my XP machine.
    It did a great job on slides but could not "copy" in B/W...only grey scale.
    Several days of back and forth with HP support produced no satisfaction and
    so it went back. They even tried to tell me that I should not expect it to
    copy in B/W! I now have a Canon 4200. Slow as molasses but at least I am
    back in business. Would still love to get my 4C running under XP though.
    Gord

    "Chrisj" <cwohlmac@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >I have the same identical problem, I thought it was a driver problem
    >because
    > it only started happening when I switched to xp. It doesn't happen all the
    > time though and that was my next thought a scsi cable. The problem is
    > identical to yours though and if you find any answers please post.
    > Thanks
    > "David Causier" <davidcausier@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> My HP scanjet 4c, after working fine for 3-4 years now will start
    >> down the scanning track, then stop after going 1-2
    >> inches; after a minute or two, I get an error message saying that my
    >> scanner has made an error. I've opened mine up to see if there was
    >> something obstructing a smooth ride on the tracks, but find nothing.
    >> I've also uninstalled and reinstalled software. In the device manager,
    >> it says my scsi controller is working fine without conflicts. If you
    >> hear of a solution, or things to try, please help. Is anyone aware of
    >> a web site dealing with scanner repair or troubleshooting? or a repair
    >> shop for scanners?
    >>
    >> David

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    > Gord Schindler <gords@idirect.com> wrote:

    > I believe that on HP's website it states that the 4C
    > will not work properly on XP and no update is available.
    > They suggest using the built in driver that XP installs
    > automatically when it detects the scanner ...

    Is this with DeskScan, PrecisionScan, or both?
    And is this with the original NCR/SYM/LSI SCSI card,
    or with a real card (mine is on an AHA-2940)?

    I'm avoiding degrading to XP (from Win2k) for as long
    as possible, and interested in how to keep a 4C running,
    since it was a significant investment, including the TA,
    and legal-size scanners are still not super cheap.

    Even under Win2K, DeskScan 2.9 self-destructs if the
    preview window is wider than about 1200 pixels, but
    other than that, it does the job.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Bob Niland wrote:
    >> Gord Schindler <gords@idirect.com> wrote:
    >

    >> I believe that on HP's website it states that the 4C
    >> will not work properly on XP and no update is available.
    >> They suggest using the built in driver that XP installs
    >> automatically when it detects the scanner ...
    >

    > Is this with DeskScan, PrecisionScan, or both?
    > And is this with the original NCR/SYM/LSI SCSI card,
    > or with a real card (mine is on an AHA-2940)?
    >
    > I'm avoiding degrading to XP (from Win2k) for as long
    > as possible, and interested in how to keep a 4C running,
    > since it was a significant investment, including the TA,
    > and legal-size scanners are still not super cheap.
    >
    > Even under Win2K, DeskScan 2.9 self-destructs if the
    > preview window is wider than about 1200 pixels, but
    > other than that, it does the job.

    Check out Art-Scan, it has built in support for the 4C. There is a now
    a shareware version available. So you can try it risk free, I am not
    sure if we support the TA, so be sure to try it out first.

    Available at http://www.scanhelp.com

    Thanks,

    Clarence Klopfstein

    Jetsoft Development Co.