Sign in with
Your question

ASUS ROG Intel Edition-Striker Extreme Mainboard

Last response: in Overclocking
November 1, 2006 7:18:51 PM

WOW THGFZ

All solid capacitor design too!
I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking

Thank you schwaa, for this most excellent find.

More information

Now all we need to do is wait for comparisons between this board and the DFI LANParty UT RD600-T2R/G

Then we can all make our decisions. :D .

I'm still pretty sure I'm going with the DFI LANParty UT RD600-T2R/G but it's probly best to wait for benchmark comparisons rather than rely on mere speculation.

~3lfk1ng
November 1, 2006 8:15:42 PM

Even that the heatpipe jungle and the ROG crap make it sound too gimmick to be good, the Striker Extreme has to be one of the best motherboards out there.
Sadly, the DFI is priced at $300 currently... But ill skimp on everything else just to buy it :twisted:
November 1, 2006 8:31:53 PM

Its only priced at $300 because its a preorder....even the P5N32-SLI premium was on preorder for $300...

Expect the price tag of the DFI LANParty UT RD600-T2R/G to be ~$250.

Current rumours speculate that the ASUS ROG Intel Edition,Striker Extreme will be ~$299 (not higher than $350 I hope) because the current competitors mobos are priced around $270 using the 975 and 590 chipsets.
Related resources
November 1, 2006 8:35:40 PM

Phew.. I was getting the chainsaw ready for an arm and a leg.. :p 
November 1, 2006 8:45:28 PM

Quote:
Phew.. I was getting the chainsaw ready for an arm and a leg.. :p 

...and a left nut?

So I see Im not the only one gearing for the DFI LANParty UT RD600-T2R/G :D 

Tell me rwaritsdario, do you have the same concerns as me about the DFI LANParty UT RD600-T2R/G?

1) It's the only intel rd600 board ...ever... (multiple reasons to be scared)
2) Intel is limiting the DFI's fsb to 1066 and not allowing 1333 because it uses the ATI RD600 chipset and not an Nvidia or Intel (Which is a low blow on Intels part. This is partially why I hate them, but business is business and they do make the best processors on the market price:p erformance wise)
3) If it has any serious issues the only logical choice is to go to a 680i chipset mobo, and then if you had planned on triple play physx....your ati card is now somewhat worthless on an Sli board (you can still use it solo, you just can't go crossfire...which means if you decide to go SLI...you wasted ~$xxx on an ati card and then you have to fork over more money for two/three sli cards)
4) Amd and Ati have aleady stated that they arent going spend much money to support an Intel motherboard.

Or is it just me?
I really want to remain optimistic, believe me, but there are a lot of things to be concerned about.

~3lfk1ng
November 1, 2006 8:55:51 PM

Quote:
Or is it just me?
I really want to remain optimistic, believe me, but there are a lot of things to be concerned about.

Yeah, thanks... Now is two of us...
I was somewhat aware of the issues but you state them in such way that makes me wanna overdoze on happy pills...
November 1, 2006 9:06:53 PM

Quote:
I was somewhat aware of the issues but you state them in such way that makes me wanna overdoze on happy pills...

Oh man, I wasn't trying to kill your hapiness :(  , I was just bringing some light into the subject to see if I was the only one.

I would hate to spend $250 and then wind up regretting it a month down the road and I wouldn't want anyone to experience that either.

All we need is benchies:

ASUS ROG Intel EditionStriker Extreme
=VS=
DFI LANParty UT RD600-T2R/G

This will influence my final purchase

Where is Wusy when I need him?

Tell you what, I'll shut-up and we can all just wait patiently like one big happy fun loving THGFZ family.
November 1, 2006 9:15:41 PM

Quote:
All we need is benchies:

ASUS ROG Intel EditionStriker Extreme
=VS=
DFI LANParty UT RD600-T2R/G

Not so much benchies as OVERCL0KING RESULTS! But hell yeah its gonna be one hell of a battle :D 

What worries me the most is that apparently it wont support C2Q (not even with BIOS revisions), could you show me the link for this?

Quote:
one big happy fun loving THGFZ family.

Now youve just been watching too much barney...
November 1, 2006 9:17:17 PM

I see you need me to do another review....
November 1, 2006 9:26:39 PM

Quote:
What worries me the most is that apparently it wont support C2Q (not even with BIOS revisions), could you show me the link for this?

OOO schnahp, unfortunately I dont have a link. I have not even heard of that but if that is the case then I'll have to avoid the DFI. Not having quad core would definately be the determining factor in this battle. It'll be interesting when more information becomes readily available because until I see proof it's merely nothing but speculation.

Right now we know more about this ASUS ROG Intel Edition-Striker Extreme that just got posted today, than we know about the DFI LANParty UT RD600-T2R/G that we got news of on Oct. 11th.

I dunno why It wouldn't support quad core because it's still LGA775, other than Intel prohibiting it...which I havn't heard of.

The only thing I have heard Intel place limitations on is the FSB (Limited to 1066 instead of 1333)

Dang, thanks for letting me know...if you can manage to find the website in which you got this info...that would be great.

Until then we have no choice but to wait and see.
November 1, 2006 9:38:43 PM

Thanks wusy, you sure know how to calm down the over stressed selfs...
Now its just the anxiety to see it in action
November 1, 2006 9:43:27 PM

Quote:
I see you need me to do another review....

Lol, be my guest :) 

Quote:
1) And it's a DFI LP made by my hero Oscar Wu
2) When it 680i gets its FSB arse handed to RD600, then we'll see who's laughing
3) You never heard of ATi PhyX? Already planned for RD600
4) Not when it's a DFI with Oscar Wu backing. His arse is on the line this time and he will not fail us.

Good to hear from you wusy, in reguards to #3 I know all about Ati's "Triple Play Physx" what I was saying is that this is the only RD600 for the Intel Conroes, if the mobo is flop/failure...your out ~$250 for the mobo ,$xxx for the gfx card (and if you had planned on CROSSFIRE you now have no choice but to go for SLI if you want to keep your Conroe).

If you decide to stick with the RD600, the only other RD600 chipset mobo's will only be available in AMD/ATI combo motherboards...which means your out $xxx for the Conroe that you bought, then you need ot buy an AM2 processor.

Your still going to get all the advantage(s) of the RD600 but the major disadvantage(s) of the AMD AM2's (weak sauce compared to the Conroes).

I know it's a little confusing so I'll try to make it simple for the general population(not you wusy):

If Conroe and RD600 then = DFI LANParty UT RD600-T2R/G
If Conroe and 680I then = ASUS ROG Intel EditionStriker Extreme

If NOT DFI LANParty UT RD600-T2R/G BUT RD600 then = AMD AM2 AND RD600
If AM2 THEN worse than Conroe BUT still RD600

SO...

Conroe > AM2
RD600 > 680i

It's only logical to go Conroe and RD600....but if that fails...all that is left (logically) is either a Conroe paired with the 680i or the AM2 paired with the RD600.

Quote:
Not to mention over 90% of ATi cards now including the delayed(2month later than G80) R600 has total dominance over nVidia gfx cards in all angles right now with the exception of heat.
Every single card in the 7xxx range right now does not have a spot in the market compared to ATi's 9xxx offerings.
(And ATi is going to throw all that advantage away in 2008)

Thank you so much wusy...my strength has been renewed

But wusy, can you do me a huge favor and tell me a little about Oscar Wu...I've heard peeps refer to him, but I don't know much about him.
November 1, 2006 9:44:13 PM

Well it doesnt have to have official 1333 FSB support to be designed to overclock to god-knows-what.

Anyway, right now, I'm deciding which of my kidneys I am going to sell to buy my Asus ROG Striker Extreme.

There are no benchmarks or any other evidence to say the R600 is faster than the G80. There are no benchmarks or any other evidence to say G80 is faster than R600. Therefore arguing about it is pointless imho.

To say there are no situations where the nVidia 7900 beats the x1900/50 is a distortion of the truth. I will accept that the ATi solution is superior in almost all Direct3D applications right now. However nVidia still has a significant lead in OpenGL, be it for gaming or professional apps. The one exception to this is the Doom 3 engine where things are pretty closely matched now, after ATi spent sooooo much effort optimising their drivers for it.

For an example of another OpenGL game, one I play alot and the reason for me having an nVidia card rather than an ATi, Clicky

This is mostly a PhysX review, but observe the nVidia card acting in a CPU limited manner, that is the graph is pretty flat regardless of resolution.

Compare that to the ATi, which drops to the floor very quickly, with less than half the framerate of the nVidia solution @ 1600x1200 (which I play at).
November 1, 2006 9:45:39 PM

Trying to teach Wusy? Fat lot a good that'll do you. Since I'm not really needed, I'll go finish that review on the 3060.
November 1, 2006 9:50:21 PM

Quote:
Trying to teach Wusy?

I would never dare, I was just trying to clarify my jumbled sentence from earlier on.

Quote:
Since I'm not really needed, I'll go finish that review on the 3060.

Nice

Quote:
Is that what it means to be a fanboy?

Yup, sacrificing permanent parts of your body for something that will last you a good 5 years is true fanboy-ism.

Quote:
There are no benchmarks or any other evidence to say the R600 is faster than the G80. There are no benchmarks or any other evidence to say G80 is faster than R600. Therefore arguing about it is pointless imho.

We have already covered this when i said

Quote:
It'll be interesting when more information becomes readily available because until I see proof it's merely nothing but speculation.

However, wusy is the guy who knows about this stuff before it makes it our way, so whatever he says goes :mrgreen:

Quote:
(And ATi is going to throw all that advantage away in 2008)

See, he even knows what's going to happen in 2008. Afterall he does have over 30,000 posts so I doubt he would ever post any non-sense that would endanger his THGFZ reputation. wusy ftw
November 1, 2006 10:14:19 PM

Ok, so that explains why everyone is so fanatical about him.

He's not on any wiki yet, but he sounds like he deserves the title of Oscar "the godfather of overclocking" Wu after seeing how impressive the dfi lp boards overclock.
November 1, 2006 10:29:18 PM

Nice mobos with badass names. Too bad no one can afford it.
November 1, 2006 10:37:05 PM

Quote:
2) Intel is limiting the DFI's fsb to 1066 and not allowing 1333 because it uses the ATI RD600 chipset and not an Nvidia or Intel

That ones out for sure.
November 1, 2006 10:48:37 PM

Quote:
2) Intel is limiting the DFI's fsb to 1066 and not allowing 1333 because it uses the ATI RD600 chipset and not an Nvidia or Intel

That ones out for sure.

LOL, in the link read the first post under the article
"And people say AMD is merging with ATI? Now that's a stupid rumor..."

Don't speak too soon or too sure :?

That article is dated 02 June 2006 :(  ...before the AMD/ATI acquisition(as you can see). Intel has since changed it's front line for battle and is ready to do whatever it takes to keep the money for themselves (or nvidia) but away from ATI. :evil: 

I forgot where I found the article but I belive it said something about Intel allowing all other mobos that use the most current/upcoming 975 and leading nvidia chipsets access to the full 1333 fsb when the new processors come out that will utilize it (quad cores and e6650....etc.) , but limiting the FSB on the DFI LANParty UT RD600-T2R/G to only 1066...

Perhaps someone can clarify this for me with recent evidence.
Otherwise it's back to waiting.

The only evidience that I have to disprove that 1333mhz fsb is possible on the DFI LANParty UT RD600-T2R/G is this

You'll notice that 1066 is included in the header...maybe that's just native support and in fact it may support 1333.....but I still would need to see other evidence

Quote:
Not sure which event it was but it was an overclocking event which FUGGER, Marci and a few other (I think OPPainter was there) along with a few other overclocking wannabes during the S939-A64 era. Anyway, Oscar Wu was there and he was on-site doing BIOS re-coding/modding LIVE at the event for individual members for their particular RAM. That I thought was focking impressive! :mrgreen: :trophy:

Thats so freaking awsome, and really impressive...your starting to make Oscar Wu my idol.
November 1, 2006 11:11:14 PM

I like the onboard power button and the wicked northbridge cooling on the Striker Extreme. DFI has the power switches too I see. Pretty badass boards if you ask me.

Is the northbridge on the DFI not heatsinked? Or is the southbridge above the northbridge. (Closer to the socket) Either way, seems a small heatsink for the northbridge if it is indeed that little one on the bottom half of the board.
November 1, 2006 11:24:07 PM

Quote:
Is the northbridge on the DFI not heatsinked?

Yeah thats the northbridge and It's completely nude for our fapping pleasures. 8O 8O
But expect the release version to have a large heatsink with an ATI logo on it(most likely)

I like the cooler on the Striker extreme as well, but I like aftermarket coolers with small 40x40mm blue led fans slightly better...like the Jing ting or the tr hr-05

Passive cooling isnt always the best, but the way the Striker has the passive pipes positioned over the mosfets may mean that the mosfets will be cooled (more stable voltage) which is pretty good for overclocking. But the biggest concern with the heatpipes is that it will serverly limit what aftermarket coolers will and won't work with it.

DFI lacks that feature, but at least it has room around the socket for aftermarket coolers such as the Scythe Ninja Rev B or the Monsoon II
The DFI's layout is also perfectly positioned for peeps that plan on pairing it with the best of Phase change coolers or even watercooling.
November 1, 2006 11:26:28 PM

A naked northbridge? Scandalous... 8O

I've written the review of the 3060. Check the blog now.
November 1, 2006 11:32:52 PM

Great review Ninja, Xeon 3060 here I come (In a month)
November 1, 2006 11:35:00 PM

Yep. Combine that with the board here and you're good to go.
November 2, 2006 5:17:23 PM

Bump
November 2, 2006 6:05:32 PM

Bump?

Man, I read through this whole discussion, and nothing really came from it except a bunch of Oscar Wu Fanboyism...

Oh well, I wonder how the XBX2 will do... I really would go for the DFI board if I felt more secure in how Intel would treat ATI... but I guess we'll see... benchies tell the tale in everything.
November 2, 2006 6:23:08 PM

Quote:
Bump?

Man, I read throught this whole discussion, and nothing really came from it except a bunch of Oscar Wu Fanboyism...

LOL, I guess your kinda right....but at least we are educating.
November 2, 2006 10:53:09 PM

A stupid question for you pros. How do you get the cpu heatsink fan plug wire over those heat pipes without burning it? I assume the heat pipes get hot.
November 2, 2006 11:30:14 PM

I sure hope they don't get that hot. I can easily touch the PWM heatsinks on my NI8 SLi and they get pretty hot. Not hot enough to melt anything though.
November 2, 2006 11:58:23 PM

Quote:
Bump?

Man, I read throught this whole discussion, and nothing really came from it except a bunch of Oscar Wu Fanboyism...

Oh well, I wonder how the XBX2 will do... I really would go for the DFI board if I felt more secure in how Intel would treat ATI... but I guess we'll see... benchies tell the tale in everything.

That + shameless plugs for Ninja's blog. :lol: 
November 3, 2006 12:45:14 AM

We lack the concepts of shame or guilt.
November 3, 2006 2:50:26 AM

*ninja sees an opening to bump this thread, thus increasing the plug for his blog and jumps on it*

I can tell. :wink:
November 3, 2006 5:09:55 AM

Lets help out ninja a bit more.
November 3, 2006 11:12:36 AM

Of course you should. :wink:
November 3, 2006 2:03:19 PM

Hijacked thread... so soon...

BTW... decent review Ninja. Short, sweet, and to the point.
November 3, 2006 2:47:13 PM

I just got looking at the spec.

It says it has 1 PCIE1 but I see 2 on the board...
Hmmm....
makes me wonder how final the documentation is.
November 3, 2006 4:51:47 PM

BUMP
November 3, 2006 5:19:39 PM

Go ! Ninja Go!

hehe
November 3, 2006 6:18:37 PM

Bumpage is so, so good. Keep it up. We might just find something to talk about.
November 3, 2006 6:30:10 PM

Well I now have 101 posts...
November 3, 2006 7:00:33 PM

Good for you, get an avatar...

Just don't take the purple dinosaur...
November 3, 2006 7:38:28 PM

Done :) 
November 3, 2006 7:54:03 PM

Grats
November 3, 2006 8:26:09 PM

Just ordered a Tuniq Tower 120 :D 
Ill get the Brasso ready for some lapping cos thats one rough surface :) 
Should I use the Tuniq TX1 Thermal Grease that comes with it or AS5??
November 3, 2006 8:35:30 PM

what is the difference between Tuniq TX1 Thermal Grease andAS5?
November 3, 2006 8:53:04 PM

Quote:

Thermal Conductivity : > 3.3W/m.K of the Tuniq TX1
VS.
Thermal Conductance: >350,000W/m2 °C of the AS5
November 3, 2006 9:20:01 PM

Quote:

Thermal Conductivity : > 3.3W/m.K of the Tuniq TX1
VS.
Thermal Conductance: >350,000W/m2 °C of the AS5

that doesn't tell me much...
apples to oranges?
November 3, 2006 9:28:09 PM

The Striker board looks very nice and with me just buying a C2D and SLI. It looks like that is going to be my board of choose, however some of the positioning of stuff on the board is not in the "best" spot in my opinion. The way the SATA ports on the MB are positioned will be hard for in some cases to get the wires around to get there without tugging on the MB ports of your HDs. Also the the PCI-E ports are a little close to each i like DFI separated them some and i am sure there is specific reasons to why these are that close. Now is there any info on whether the board will also run with standard memory or are they going to pull one over and say that you will need to run EPP memory with the board. Very nice to see HD-Audio on the board too.
November 4, 2006 3:41:45 AM

I was thinking that ill get a small tube of TX1 anyways, so I can experiment with both (ill make sure to clean them up correctly).
Look at the surface:

Theres where ill have some real fun...
!