Sign in with
Your question

Website randomness

Last response: in Site Feedback
March 20, 2008 1:37:34 PM

What is with this randomness?

Sometimes when I try to access www.tomshardware.com,
1) I get *.co.uk, which looks like crap, or
2) like today (for the first time), I get *.com/de/ which also looks crap and is in German, which I don't speak.

The forum (on *.com) links to *.com/forum/, but threads and topics get redirected to *.co.uk/forum/*.
No global forums or something? WTF?

And if I were to sign in on the forum page (*.com/forum/) and want to post something, I need to sign in again but this time to *.co.uk/forum/, because that's where I end up when I use the links in *.com/forum/ pointing to threads and topics on *.com/forum/!
I guess part of the problem is that I don't allow third party cookies for security. But then again, why do I get bounced around in between the sites in the first place? You guys playing pinball or something?

Get your **** together, please!

More about : website randomness

March 21, 2008 1:36:43 AM

There is a cookie that controls which version of tom's hardware you get.

The pinball effect is what happens when that cookie gets borked. Delete it. It will need to be set properly to get the desired version of Tom's Hardware.

As far as global forums, language and load balance prevent global forums.

The US and UK however do share the same content. The UK version has a special UK specific section, but other than that, they should be identical.

April 16, 2008 12:36:17 PM

nirgal said:
Sometimes when I try to access www.tomshardware.com,
1) I get *.co.uk, which looks like crap, or
2) like today (for the first time), I get *.com/de/ which also looks crap and is in German, which I don't speak.

Eww... Now the US site is crap, too. And there's a stupid country selector thingy.
What is wrong with you people?
Related resources
April 16, 2008 2:14:14 PM

i can't log out... i can't log out... If you die logged into THG, does your consciousness get stuck in the server?
April 16, 2008 9:39:27 PM

Logout issue confirmed. Being worked on as we speak.
!