Tim

Some files in my computer are written in blue text. Nothing to do with
highlighting, or being a link, just the list of file names has some of them
in blue. Does anyone know what this signifies?

You have told windows to compress these folders, probably while doing disk
maintenance.

Blue = compressed
Green = encrypted

Bobby

Tim wrote:
> Some files in my computer are written in blue text. Nothing to do
> with highlighting, or being a link, just the list of file names has
> some of them in blue. Does anyone know what this signifies?

They are being "compressed" due to non-use.
Google could help you find out more information on this.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2C4149%2C1146803%2C00.asp
or
http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25558
or
http://www.pcbanter.net/t9151.html
or
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_viewoptions_compressedcolor.mspx

COLORED FILENAMES
Windows XP offers the NTFS file system, which in turn supports NTFS file
compression. By default, NTFS-compressed files and folders are displayed in
a bright blue color.

This happens even if you have not compressed any files yourself!
It happens when you use the Disk Cleanup applet, which includes an option
called Compress Old Files to save space. (In Windows Explorer or My
Computer, right-click the disk in which you want to free up space, click
Properties, click the General tab, and then click Disk Cleanup.)

If you prefer, you can select Folder Options from Windows Explorer's Tools
menu, click on the View tab, and uncheck the item that says Show encrypted
or compressed NTFS files in color. But consider retaining this visual
indication that a file is compressed.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307987

--
<- Shenan ->