Sign in with
Your question

core 2 duo stock fan

Last response: in CPUs
November 1, 2006 10:26:06 PM

the stock HSF for core 2 duo, what size fan is it? 80mm ?

also can i just buy a quieter 80mm fan for it instead of buying an aftermarket hsf ?

More about : core duo stock fan

a c 478 à CPUs
November 1, 2006 10:37:09 PM

Yes, the fan is 80mm.

No, you cannot simply replace the fan. The retention mechanism connecting the fan to the heatsink is part of the fan itself.

The best advice I can give is to simply try the stock HSF. If it is too loud for you then spend the money on an aftermarket HSF.
November 1, 2006 11:19:36 PM

I would also recommend not trying to mess with mounting a different fan. It wont be worth the effort to save $25 on a decent aftermarket fan.

PS>Boondock Saints = one of my favorites of all time.
Related resources
November 1, 2006 11:40:18 PM

Stock HSF isn't too bad. Risking a cheap custom mount isn't worth the $30 on an aftermarket HSF, especially if you wreck the CPU/mobo.......not worth it man......

I agree with Jag, try the stock. If no likey, go aftermarket. Don't cheap out for such trivial money.
November 2, 2006 12:12:44 AM

The stock fan is not as bad as some people make it sound.
November 2, 2006 12:14:29 AM

It's hard as hell to mount.
November 2, 2006 12:33:05 AM

Nice ! A Tool fan ! 8)
November 2, 2006 12:54:37 AM

Gah, guess i'll have to live with it then..

see my problem is, i am planning on running watercooling, but that won't be ready for 2 or 3 weeks after i get my system built, so i was just wanting to not have a loud computer for those 2 or 3 weeks, and it wasn't worth the money to buy an aftermarket cooler just for that short of a time period...

thanks for the replies, guys.
November 2, 2006 3:04:38 AM

Quote:

see my problem is, i am planning on running watercooling, but that won't be ready for 2 or 3 weeks after i get my system built, so i was just wanting to not have a loud computer for those 2 or 3 weeks, and it wasn't worth the money to buy an aftermarket cooler just for that short of a time period...

Why bother with watercooling. The C2D run pretty cool already. 37C is not cool enough for you? That's translate to about 95F.
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2006 4:03:22 AM

Quote:

It was loud with Pentium D and Prescott cores, but the C2D runs cool so that the fan can spin down a lot, if only you enable automatic fan control in BIOS.

Oh, and WB griz
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2006 4:05:39 AM

Stock fan is easy to mount, you just push the pins down. And it's easy to unmount, you just twist the pins 1/4 turn counter-clockwise with a 3/8" flathead scredriver
a c 478 à CPUs
November 2, 2006 1:45:44 PM

Quote:

I don't think the stock fan is too loud, then again I'm using a Scythe Ninja. Waiting 2 or 3 weeks before doing extreme overclocking doesn't sound too long of a wait.
!