core 2 duo stock fan

the stock HSF for core 2 duo, what size fan is it? 80mm ?

also can i just buy a quieter 80mm fan for it instead of buying an aftermarket hsf ?
11 answers Last reply
More about core stock
  1. Yes, the fan is 80mm.

No, you cannot simply replace the fan. The retention mechanism connecting the fan to the heatsink is part of the fan itself.

The best advice I can give is to simply try the stock HSF. If it is too loud for you then spend the money on an aftermarket HSF.
  2. I would also recommend not trying to mess with mounting a different fan. It wont be worth the effort to save $25 on a decent aftermarket fan.

PS>Boondock Saints = one of my favorites of all time.
  3. Stock HSF isn't too bad. Risking a cheap custom mount isn't worth the $30 on an aftermarket HSF, especially if you wreck the CPU/mobo.......not worth it man......

I agree with Jag, try the stock. If no likey, go aftermarket. Don't cheap out for such trivial money.
  4. The stock fan is not as bad as some people make it sound.
  5. It's hard as hell to mount.
  6. Nice ! A Tool fan ! 8)
  7. Gah, guess i'll have to live with it then..

see my problem is, i am planning on running watercooling, but that won't be ready for 2 or 3 weeks after i get my system built, so i was just wanting to not have a loud computer for those 2 or 3 weeks, and it wasn't worth the money to buy an aftermarket cooler just for that short of a time period...

thanks for the replies, guys.
  8. Quote:
    Gah, guess i'll have to live with it then..

see my problem is, i am planning on running watercooling, but that won't be ready for 2 or 3 weeks after i get my system built, so i was just wanting to not have a loud computer for those 2 or 3 weeks, and it wasn't worth the money to buy an aftermarket cooler just for that short of a time period...

Why bother with watercooling. The C2D run pretty cool already. 37C is not cool enough for you? That's translate to about 95F.
  9. Quote:
    Gah, guess i'll have to live with it then..

It was loud with Pentium D and Prescott cores, but the C2D runs cool so that the fan can spin down a lot, if only you enable automatic fan control in BIOS.

Oh, and WB griz
  10. Stock fan is easy to mount, you just push the pins down. And it's easy to unmount, you just twist the pins 1/4 turn counter-clockwise with a 3/8" flathead scredriver
  11. Quote:

I don't think the stock fan is too loud, then again I'm using a Scythe Ninja. Waiting 2 or 3 weeks before doing extreme overclocking doesn't sound too long of a wait.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Fan