Moto v551 as modem on a Mac

Last response: in Network Providers
November 24, 2004 8:22:15 PM

I just picked up a Motorola v551 with a new Cingular account. Pairing my
headset, computer, and Palm were trivial. Sending files back and forth
between computer, Palm, and phone work as expected. However, neither the
Palm nor the Powerbook see the v551 as a phone. They identify it as a
computer. This means I have not been able to get online via either device
using the phone as a modem or use the Palm to dial a number.

Browsing the web from the phone works, so the problem isn't on that end.
It's definitely in the link between the phone and the other devices.

Here's what I'm using:

Motorola v551 on Cingular with unlimited MEdia Net.
Powerbook G4, internal bluetooth, OS 10.3.6.
Palm m515 with bluetooth SDIO card.

Quite a few web sites talk about Macs and bluetooth GSM phones, so I'm sure
I have the right information, but just in case, here's what I'm using:

APN: ISP.CINGULAR
User: ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Pass: CINGULAR1

It's not actually getting that far anyway. When I try to connect, I get
unable to open device on the Mac, and a similar thing on the Palm. The
problem seems to be just that the phone is not recognized as a phone. How
do I get around that? I've searched Cingular and Apple sites as well as
google and versiontracker for updates.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I hope in my searches I've just
missed something obvious. I've found lots of stuff about other specific
phones, but not this one.

Thanks.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695

More about : moto v551 modem mac

November 25, 2004 4:13:06 AM

I have the same troubles I have a V400 with the snow book and it just wont
work I had a programmer friend try and make it but it didnt work I really
havent found a way yet
"Larry Moss" <moss@airigami.com> wrote in message
> I just picked up a Motorola v551 with a new Cingular account. Pairing my
> headset, computer, and Palm were trivial. Sending files back and forth
> between computer, Palm, and phone work as expected. However, neither the
> Palm nor the Powerbook see the v551 as a phone. They identify it as a
> computer. This means I have not been able to get online via either device
> using the phone as a modem or use the Palm to dial a number.
>
> Browsing the web from the phone works, so the problem isn't on that end.
> It's definitely in the link between the phone and the other devices.
>
> Here's what I'm using:
>
> Motorola v551 on Cingular with unlimited MEdia Net.
> Powerbook G4, internal bluetooth, OS 10.3.6.
> Palm m515 with bluetooth SDIO card.
>
> Quite a few web sites talk about Macs and bluetooth GSM phones, so I'm
sure
> I have the right information, but just in case, here's what I'm using:
>
> APN: ISP.CINGULAR
> User: ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM
> Pass: CINGULAR1
>
> It's not actually getting that far anyway. When I try to connect, I get
> unable to open device on the Mac, and a similar thing on the Palm. The
> problem seems to be just that the phone is not recognized as a phone. How
> do I get around that? I've searched Cingular and Apple sites as well as
> google and versiontracker for updates.
>
> Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I hope in my searches I've
just
> missed something obvious. I've found lots of stuff about other specific
> phones, but not this one.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
> PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695
> Airigami: The art of folding air in specially prepared latex containers.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 7:03:52 AM

Use the motorola timeport 7089 as your bluetooth modem under network
settings... This worked for me.

Configure the settings to dial *99#, userid is WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM,
password is CINGULAR1

Regards,

Bitablespore

On 11/25/04 3h13, in article zPydneH5fOi7PzjcRVn-hg@comcast.com, "Fester"
<raven_wood@homeDOT.com> wrote:

> I have the same troubles I have a V400 with the snow book and it just wont
> work I had a programmer friend try and make it but it didnt work I really
> havent found a way yet
> "Larry Moss" <moss@airigami.com> wrote in message
>> I just picked up a Motorola v551 with a new Cingular account. Pairing my
>> headset, computer, and Palm were trivial. Sending files back and forth
>> between computer, Palm, and phone work as expected. However, neither the
>> Palm nor the Powerbook see the v551 as a phone. They identify it as a
>> computer. This means I have not been able to get online via either device
>> using the phone as a modem or use the Palm to dial a number.
>>
>> Browsing the web from the phone works, so the problem isn't on that end.
>> It's definitely in the link between the phone and the other devices.
>>
>> Here's what I'm using:
>>
>> Motorola v551 on Cingular with unlimited MEdia Net.
>> Powerbook G4, internal bluetooth, OS 10.3.6.
>> Palm m515 with bluetooth SDIO card.
>>
>> Quite a few web sites talk about Macs and bluetooth GSM phones, so I'm
> sure
>> I have the right information, but just in case, here's what I'm using:
>>
>> APN: ISP.CINGULAR
>> User: ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM
>> Pass: CINGULAR1
>>
>> It's not actually getting that far anyway. When I try to connect, I get
>> unable to open device on the Mac, and a similar thing on the Palm. The
>> problem seems to be just that the phone is not recognized as a phone. How
>> do I get around that? I've searched Cingular and Apple sites as well as
>> google and versiontracker for updates.
>>
>> Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I hope in my searches I've
> just
>> missed something obvious. I've found lots of stuff about other specific
>> phones, but not this one.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
>> PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695
>> Airigami: The art of folding air in specially prepared latex containers.

November 27, 2004 9:01:49 AM

On 2004-11-27, Shane Scott <shanescott@mn.rr.com> wrote:
> Use the motorola timeport 7089 as your bluetooth modem under network
> settings... This worked for me.
>
> Configure the settings to dial *99#, userid is WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM,
> password is CINGULAR1

Thanks. I spent quite a bit of time playing with it and made it work
earlier today. Most of the time I wasted on it was with tech support.
After a few hours of being bounced between people, I finally got a
supervisor that told me that what I wanted to do was impossible and that I
*needed* the $80 data plan if I wanted unlimited tethered access. I'm not
sure if I worked it out myself more because I wanted to do it or because I
wanted to prove this guy wrong. (In all fairness, I actually talked to two
very pleasant tech support people that I felt were sincerely trying to help
me but didn't know the answers. The supervisor was also pleasant. He was
just wrong. There was one guy in the mix though that I would have fired if
he worked for me.)

There actually is one other step that I had to go through that others may
as well, depending on what other bluetooth devices have been set up in the
past. If you have no bluetooth modem setup, you need to run the Bluetooth
Setup Utility after pairing devices to tell it the new device can be used
as a serial port. Pretty simple task once you know to do it, but I didn't
find any reference to this anywhere.

So, what is the functional difference between MEdia Works and the more
expensive data plan? I assume speed is at least part of it.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695
Airigami: The art of folding air in specially prepared latex containers.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 10:35:57 AM

In <hLUpd.26589$AL5.12318@twister.nyroc.rr.com> on Sat, 27 Nov 2004 06:01:49
GMT, Larry Moss <moss@airigami.com> wrote:

>So, what is the functional difference between MEdia Works and the more
>expensive data plan? I assume speed is at least part of it.

Raw speed is the same. The more expensive data plan gives you Data
Acceleration, which works by compressing data. In the case of images, there's
loss of quality. It's also possible that the more expensive data plan makes
possible things that don't work on MEdia Works, like FTP over TLS.

November 27, 2004 8:58:22 PM

Most likely, it is to handle people who want to use their phone form
normal internet connectivity. Some of these phones can give greater
speeds than dialup, and they don't want someone to replace a phone line
and dialup-ISP with their phone.

And, of course, there ARE people who buy a PC card and need real data
access.

But I don't really see how I've hurt Sprint over the last 9 months on
the 2 periods of a few days where I tethered my laptop to my phone and
used it as a modem when Wi-Fi wasn't available.

--
kevink
November 27, 2004 9:08:13 PM

I guess the speed is a maybe.

Some of the phones don't give as many timeslots as others. You would
hope that a PC card would give you as much as is possible with the
service, network congestion aside.

--
kevink
November 27, 2004 9:22:42 PM

In <kevink.1ge5ya@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> on Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:08:13
GMT, kevink <kevink.1ge5ya@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

>I guess the speed is a maybe.

Speed is always a maybe.

>Some of the phones don't give as many timeslots as others.

True.

>You would
>hope that a PC card would give you as much as is possible with the
>service, network congestion aside.

True in the case of Sony Ericsson GC8x PC Cards.

>John Navas Wrote:

>> Raw speed is the same. The more expensive data plan gives you Data
>> Acceleration, which works by compressing data. In the case of images,
>> there's
>> loss of quality. It's also possible that the more expensive data plan
>> makes
>> possible things that don't work on MEdia Works, like FTP over TLS.

November 27, 2004 9:24:01 PM

In <kevink.1ge5ya@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> on Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:08:13
GMT, kevink <kevink.1ge5ya@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

>Some of the phones don't give as many timeslots as others. You would
>hope that a PC card would give you as much as is possible with the
>service, network congestion aside.

p.s. I use MEdia Works with a Sony Ericsson GC82 PC Card.

November 28, 2004 5:36:22 PM

This didn't work for me. "Carrier not found"

November 29, 2004 2:46:27 AM

On 2004-11-28, E. Karkoff via CellPhoneKB.com <forum@CellPhoneKB.com> wrote:
> This didn't work for me. "Carrier not found"

What is it that didn't work? What did you try? After fighting with it,
I'm happy to offer help. I'm just not sure where you are in the process.
As soon as I get a chance, I'll go back through the steps I got stuck on
and write it up.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695
Airigami: The art of folding air in specially prepared latex containers.
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 5:38:27 PM

Connecting to the internet via bluetooth. I did get it to work though eventually but the speeds are horribly slow right outside NYC.

December 2, 2004 7:10:41 PM

I tried connecting to the internet in Manhattan yesterday and kept on getting disconnected. I dialred either *99# or #99*.

I used the User ID WAP@cinuglargrps.com with passwordL CINGULAR1.

December 22, 2004 8:26:42 PM

1) I can't get my PowerBook to recognize the V551 as a bluetooth
"phone", but as "other" only -- as in -- the V551 is seen as a
Computer.

So the remainder of these notes are based on successful connection with
a USB cable provided by Motorola. If you know how I can get my
powerbook's bluetooth to pair as a PHONE, I'd really love to hear your
suggestion.

2) I can connect the V551 with the USB cable. It is recognized in the
Network system preference.

3) Get the modem scripts for a GPRS and EGPRS or EDGE devices.
Motorola G3 (EDGE & UTMS)
<http://www.taniwha.org.uk/files/Motorola3G2004-05.sit&g...;
Motorola GPRS
<http://www.taniwha.org.uk/files/MotorolaGPRS2004-05.sit...;
Put the scripts into /Library/Modem Scripts/

4) Go to System Preferences : Network

5) Plug the phone into the USB port - it should show up in Show:
Network Port Configurations
If it is grayed out, quit the preferences and return. Make sure it is
checked.

6) Show: Motorola Phone (V551)

HERE'S THE INFO ON HOW TO CONNECT USING EDGE!

7) Click the PPP tab and fill in the following fields:
Service Provider: Cingular
Account Name ISPDA@CINGULAR.COM (or ISP@CINGULAR.COM -- slower
connection)
Password: CINGULAR1
Telephone Number: ISP.CINGULAR
-- Note -- do NOT fill in "*99***1#" as the telephone number! The
script does that and uses the telephone number for the APN "Access
Point Name", which is critical information.

8) Click Options and turn *off* Send PPP Echo packets to see if that
helps.

9) Choose the TCP/IP tab and Configure IPv4: Using PPP

10) set the DNS server addresses 66.209.10.201, 66.209.10.202

11) Choose the Modem tab and select Motorola CID2

now". It should open the Internet Connect application. Click
"Connect". It should work.

Here is some technical data:
Network: Cingular (With acceleration)
APN: ISP.CINGULAR
Username: ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
DNS: 66.209.10.201, 66.209.10.202
SMTP Server: photo.mycingular.com
Notes: [Note 2]

Network: Cingular (NO acceleration)
APN: ISP.CINGULAR
Username: ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
DNS: 66.209.10.201, 66.209.10.202
SMTP Server: photo.mycingular.com
Notes: [Note 2]

Network: Cingular
APN: (non-contract)
Username:WAP.CINGULAR
Password: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
CINGULAR1
DNS: 66.209.10.201, 66.209.10.202
SMTP Server: photo.mycingular.com
Notes: [Note 2]

[Note 2] = Cingular can support a compression system, which may not
work with many Mac browsers or mail clients. Try the compression
version, since it will give improved throughput if it works, but switch
to the non-compressed username if you have problems.
Cingular's WAP APN does not support compression, and only allows 2 MB
to be transferred before disconnecting you.

I hope this stuff helps someone in this thread
Martin Smith

--
martinds
December 23, 2004 5:53:55 AM

On 2004-12-22, martinds <martinds.1hoerm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote:

> 1) I can't get my PowerBook to recognize the V551 as a bluetooth
> "phone", but as "other" only -- as in -- the V551 is seen as a
> Computer.

This is correct. The system doesn't know the v551. Pair it as other.

> So the remainder of these notes are based on successful connection with
> a USB cable provided by Motorola. If you know how I can get my
> powerbook's bluetooth to pair as a PHONE, I'd really love to hear your
> suggestion.

Run the Bluetooth Serial Utility. You need to set up the bletooth device
as a serial port. Port direction is outgoing. Require authentication.
Set it up as a modem connection.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695
Airigami: The art of folding air in specially prepared latex containers.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 8:37:07 AM

OK, so I'm thinking about switching from Spring to Cingular. My phone
is just AWFUL with Sprint, and I can't tollerate it anymore.

Is the download charged if you go over 1MB using the Media Basic when
using the phone as a modem(using the #99*)?

this may be an absolutely ridiculous question, BUT, I thought I'd ask
some cingular users.

-Ross

--
hikin_man
December 23, 2004 9:33:46 PM

In <hikin_man.1hpcka@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> on Thu, 23 Dec 2004 05:37:07 GMT,
hikin_man <hikin_man.1hpcka@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote:

>Is the download charged if you go over 1MB using the Media Basic when
>using the phone as a modem(using the #99*)?

Yes -- all data transfer is counted and charged.

January 8, 2005 6:39:44 AM

I was able to get my V551 to be seen by OS X 10.3.7 bluetooth setup AS A
PHONE. I played with so many settings that I don't have a clear
method. But the primary thing is to turn off all bluetooth abilities
in the V551 and then turn off the phone. Then unpair the phone in the
bluetooth setup application.

I restarted the computer at this point, but I don't know whether that
had any effect.

Then when I turned on the phone and made it discoverable, the bluetooth
setup application was able to recognize it as a phone and provided me
with a number to use while pairing (the "other" method had me invent
the numbers").

The bad news is that some of the choices in the phone pairing window
were greyed out as being unavailable.

Martin Smith

--
martinds
January 8, 2005 7:09:30 AM

I should have said what were the greyed out checkboxes.

When I successfully got the V551 to pair AS A PHONE in bluetooth setup,
the first two check boxes were grey:
[] Set up iSync to transfer contacts and events
[] Use with Address Book

This one was available and checked:
[√] Access the Internet with your phone's data connection.

The selected radio button is, "Use a direct, higher speed connection to
reach your Internet Service Provider (GPRS, 1XRTT).

Then I click on the "Continue" button where it asks to setup the phone
to dial the internet.

The username is "ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM"
The password is "CINGULAR1"
The GPRS CID String is "ISP.CINGULAR"
The modem script is "Motorola GPRS CID2" as provided at
<http://www.taniwha.org.uk/files/Motorola3G2004-05.sit&g...;
Put the scripts into /Library/Modem Scripts/

I get a highspeed connection via bluetooth dialup. It works fine.

Despite instructions by Larry Moss, I have not succeeded to run iSync
without a USB cable.

Martin Smith

--
martinds
January 11, 2005 10:25:48 PM

Hello All

And thanks for the bluetooth help.

I have had such a run around with Cingular and like another member, I
was told I couldnt access the phone as a modem because I didnt have the
80 dollar data package.

This thread has been very helpful and I was able to get the slower
connect to work that was given at the top . I havent however gotten the
"Edge" connect to work. I entered all the info in the PPP and did every
instruction as noted. after trying to authenticate it disconnects me
and tells me to check my modem settings. I am using the Motorola GPRS
CID2 script for that and its a no go. I would appreciate any further
help to get the quicker connection.

Also I was hoping to sync my phone using isync. I bought a Data cable
hoping to transfer the ICal and addressbook to my v551. So far when I
check the find new device it doesnt even find my phone through the Data
cable. Any help would be great.

good evening.
sounds

--
sounds7@aol.
sounds7@aol.'s Profile: http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&us...

I just got a Motorola v551 with basic Cingular service. I may upgrade
later, but we'll see how it goes.

I also signed up for MEdia Basic, again I may upgrade to ME Works as I
see my usage.

Following some info from here and Howard forums I'm able to get a nice
strong 230kbd data connection off my Mac via GPRS. I just used the
Sprint Vision script.

I know I pay by the amount of data, not the minutes. So I thought that
by upgrading to MEdia Works I would have unlimited usage. Not so says
the Cingular CSR, you would be blocked from using it that way. Said
that I could connect with Basic as they want me to go over my usage and
pay a high rate, but the connection won't work with Works.

But from the above I see others are using it just fine. 230bd or
thereabouts works fine for me.

I don't use the Powerbook tethered service much, but would like to off
my boat from time-to-time. Not worth it to get a Data Plan.

So my question is do any of you use MediaWorks for tethered data
calls? Is it unlimited? Do you get a connection via GPRS?

As to the last post on trying to get iSync via USB cable to work, I had
pretty good luck with the Calendar, the contacts looked like they were
going in, but I couldn't find them. I ended up using OnSync and
everyone has had good luck with it and it's much more flexible. Be sure
to restart your mac with the phone in place and on. The other tip is to
watch how the cable is connected, it's easy to slightly rotate it off
the end of the phone and disconnect it.

There's a thread here that may help:

'Apple v551 & iSync on Apple Discussions' (http://tinyurl.com/4tjxl)

JakeC

--
JakeC
JakeC's Profile: http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&us...
View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t158483
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 11:17:37 AM

Ok, so I'm able to do all the normal BT stuff (xfer pics / audio /
video), and I know that I can dial out from my powerbook to another #.
My questions are:

1) Can I have a phone conversation using my laptop mic and speakers?

2) Can I dialup to an ISP offering dialup internet access instead of
using cingulars internet plans? If so, is it that much slower than
using one of cingulars internet plans?

Thanks - if you could reply to christophermiller99@comcast.net it would
be appreciated..

--
millerdg99
millerdg99's Profile: http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&us...
View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t158483
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 9:36:57 AM

In <JakeC.1ixvt0@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> on Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:41:44
-0600, JakeC <JakeC.1ixvt0@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>I just got a Motorola v551 with basic Cingular service. I may upgrade
>later, but we'll see how it goes.
>
>I also signed up for MEdia Basic, again I may upgrade to ME Works as I
>see my usage.
>
>Following some info from here and Howard forums I'm able to get a nice
>strong 230kbd data connection off my Mac via GPRS. I just used the
>Sprint Vision script.

No, that's just the port speed.

>I know I pay by the amount of data, not the minutes. So I thought that
>by upgrading to MEdia Works I would have unlimited usage.

Correct.

>Not so says
>the Cingular CSR, you would be blocked from using it that way.

Not correct.

>Said
>that I could connect with Basic as they want me to go over my usage and
>pay a high rate, but the connection won't work with Works.

Also not correct.

>But from the above I see others are using it just fine. 230bd or
>thereabouts works fine for me.

Correct.

>I don't use the Powerbook tethered service much, but would like to off
>my boat from time-to-time. Not worth it to get a Data Plan.
>
>So my question is do any of you use MediaWorks for tethered data
>calls? Is it unlimited? Do you get a connection via GPRS?

Yes on all counts. Also EDGE(EGPRS).

January 18, 2005 9:36:58 AM

John Navas

>> Following some info from here and Howard forums I'm able to get a nice
>> strong 230kbd data connection off my Mac via GPRS. I just used the
>> Sprint Vision script.
>
> No, that's just the port speed.

How do I know the actual throughput? That's what the Network Connection
dialog box reported.

> Yes on all counts. Also EDGE(EGPRS).

OK then how is the best way to set up the phone? I understand the Mac part
and have that working. I've seen whole lists of settings, but am unsure on
where to put them on Moto v551. Don't want to screw up normal text messages
and WAP, etc.

Also is there a way to set up email to check my ISP acct?

Jake
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 9:39:30 AM

In <millerdg99.1j0bzz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> on Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:17:37
-0600, millerdg99 <millerdg99.1j0bzz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>2) Can I dialup to an ISP offering dialup internet access instead of
>using cingulars internet plans? If so, is it that much slower than
>using one of cingulars internet plans?

CSD is only 9.6 Kbps. GPRS is typically 50 Kbps. EDGE can be as fast as 180
Kbps.

January 18, 2005 9:01:36 PM

In <BE120E40.16AD9%JConnick@JackConnick.com> on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:52:16
-0800, Jack Connick <JConnick@JackConnick.com> wrote:

>John Navas
>
>>> Following some info from here and Howard forums I'm able to get a nice
>>> strong 230kbd data connection off my Mac via GPRS. I just used the
>>> Sprint Vision script.
>>
>> No, that's just the port speed.
>
>How do I know the actual throughput?

Only by measuring it; e.g., with a port monitor and/or by timing a file
transfer.

>That's what the Network Connection
>dialog box reported.

It's a common misconception. The actual connect speed is reported only if (a)
the modem reports it [not all modems do] and (b) the OS recognizes the modem
report string; otherwise the OS reports the port speed, which may be quite
different from the modem connection speed. 230 Kbps is a standard port speed
and not a valid modem connection speed.

>> Yes on all counts. Also EDGE(EGPRS).
>
>OK then how is the best way to set up the phone? I understand the Mac part
>and have that working. I've seen whole lists of settings, but am unsure on
>where to put them on Moto v551. Don't want to screw up normal text messages
>and WAP, etc.

See my webpages below for settings, particularly the page on MEdia.

>Also is there a way to set up email to check my ISP acct?

I think so -- my Sony Ericsson Z600 is configured to do that automatically at
regular intervals -- but I don't have ready access to a V551 at the moment.