Fast User Switching

When using the Fast User Switching feature of WindowsXP Home Edition, I am
having problems accessing the A:\ drive - floppy and the D:\ drive - CD/RW.
It seems that the first person that logs onto the system is able to access
the drives but when using the Fast User Switching feature to log onto the
system with another user the second user is unable to acces the drives until
the first user logs off of the system. Please help, as I feel that this is
unacceptable since the reason I went with XP is the ability to be able to be
doing something and if another user needs to access the A:\ or D:\ drives I
would be able to use the Fast User Switching feature without having to close
all of the applications and logging off.

How are your accounts set up? If some accounts are "User", then you ned to
go to

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policiy > User Rights
Assignment. Go doen to "Take ownership of files and other objects" . Right
click on it. choose properties and add the User Name. You should gain access.

"Bigbelly" wrote:

> When using the Fast User Switching feature of WindowsXP Home Edition, I am
> having problems accessing the A:\ drive - floppy and the D:\ drive - CD/RW.
> It seems that the first person that logs onto the system is able to access
> the drives but when using the Fast User Switching feature to log onto the
> system with another user the second user is unable to acces the drives until
> the first user logs off of the system. Please help, as I feel that this is
> unacceptable since the reason I went with XP is the ability to be able to be
> doing something and if another user needs to access the A:\ or D:\ drives I
> would be able to use the Fast User Switching feature without having to close
> all of the applications and logging off.

Windows XP home does not have Local Security Policy. All users are set up as
Administrators except for the Guest Account.

"parkman1947" wrote:

> How are your accounts set up? If some accounts are "User", then you ned to
> go to
>
> Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policiy > User Rights
> Assignment. Go doen to "Take ownership of files and other objects" . Right
> click on it. choose properties and add the User Name. You should gain access.
>

> "Bigbelly" wrote:
>
> > When using the Fast User Switching feature of WindowsXP Home Edition, I am
> > having problems accessing the A:\ drive - floppy and the D:\ drive - CD/RW.
> > It seems that the first person that logs onto the system is able to access
> > the drives but when using the Fast User Switching feature to log onto the
> > system with another user the second user is unable to acces the drives until
> > the first user logs off of the system. Please help, as I feel that this is
> > unacceptable since the reason I went with XP is the ability to be able to be
> > doing something and if another user needs to access the A:\ or D:\ drives I
> > would be able to use the Fast User Switching feature without having to close
> > all of the applications and logging off.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Not true; if an Admin setups another account that is going to be used with another name, it can be "Limited" in setting, as that is the other choice. Guest is only an activated account to be used casually as by someone who would use the PC (maybe) one time (as an example).