  • CD-Rom
  • DVD
  • Windows XP
December 13, 2004 1:46:28 PM

No prob in device manager of win98se

Not an option in device manager xp, it seems.

Sure to be a way round this - I'd be glad of advice.

Please tell me if I'm already being a pest - (hostage to fortune :)  )

More about : choosing letter dvd rom drive

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 1:46:29 PM

Hi,

It's in a different place. Right-click "My Computer" and select manage. Go
to Disk Management, right-click the drive you want to change, the option
will be apparent. The only drives you cannot change are the system/boot
volumes.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
> No prob in device manager of win98se
>
> Not an option in device manager xp, it seems.
>
> Sure to be a way round this - I'd be glad of advice.
>
> Please tell me if I'm already being a pest - (hostage to fortune :)  )
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 1:46:30 PM

Make all your optical drives with letter in the middle of
the alphabet, such as L,M,N that way you can add hard drives
and USB hard or flash drives (cards reader/etc) without path
problems with the opticals (CD/DVD).

Network shared drives are named from the tail-end z.y,x.

| Hi,
|
| It's in a different place. Right-click "My Computer" and
select manage. Go
| to Disk Management, right-click the drive you want to
change, the option
| will be apparent. The only drives you cannot change are
the system/boot
| volumes.
|
| --
| Best of Luck,
|
| Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
| Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
| www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
| Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
|
| "John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
| > No prob in device manager of win98se
| >
| > Not an option in device manager xp, it seems.
| >
| > Sure to be a way round this - I'd be glad of advice.
| >
| > Please tell me if I'm already being a pest - (hostage to
fortune :)  )

Related resources
December 13, 2004 5:39:19 PM

"Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>It's in a different place. Right-click "My Computer" and select manage. Go
>to Disk Management, right-click the drive you want to change, the option
>will be apparent. The only drives you cannot change are the system/boot
>volumes.

Thanks Rick - nice not to have to restart as in win98se

Thanks Jim, I customarily use R for my DVD burner and Z for my CDROM
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 5:39:20 PM

By default Windows will assign hard drives first beginning
with C and then optical drives. Networked drives will
default to z,y.x... If you use R for the DVD it should be
fine, but you might have a problem with Z for the CD if you
network.

If you have thumb drives and a card reader you'll need
(want) free drive letters available.

The really issue can be the install path, when you change a
CD/DVD drive letter your install program may not find the
path.

!