choosing letter for DVD/CD rom drive

No prob in device manager of win98se

Not an option in device manager xp, it seems.

Sure to be a way round this - I'd be glad of advice.

Please tell me if I'm already being a pest - (hostage to fortune :) )
4 answers Last reply
More about choosing letter drive

    Hi,

    It's in a different place. Right-click "My Computer" and select manage. Go
    to Disk Management, right-click the drive you want to change, the option
    will be apparent. The only drives you cannot change are the system/boot
    volumes.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
    > No prob in device manager of win98se
    >
    > Not an option in device manager xp, it seems.
    >
    > Sure to be a way round this - I'd be glad of advice.
    >
    > Please tell me if I'm already being a pest - (hostage to fortune :) )

    Make all your optical drives with letter in the middle of
    the alphabet, such as L,M,N that way you can add hard drives
    and USB hard or flash drives (cards reader/etc) without path
    problems with the opticals (CD/DVD).

    Network shared drives are named from the tail-end z.y,x.

    "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >It's in a different place. Right-click "My Computer" and select manage. Go
    >to Disk Management, right-click the drive you want to change, the option
    >will be apparent. The only drives you cannot change are the system/boot
    >volumes.

    Thanks Rick - nice not to have to restart as in win98se

    Thanks Jim, I customarily use R for my DVD burner and Z for my CDROM

    By default Windows will assign hard drives first beginning
    with C and then optical drives. Networked drives will
    default to z,y.x... If you use R for the DVD it should be
    fine, but you might have a problem with Z for the CD if you
    network.

    If you have thumb drives and a card reader you'll need
    (want) free drive letters available.

    The really issue can be the install path, when you change a
    CD/DVD drive letter your install program may not find the
    path.

    | "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    |
    | >Hi,
    | >
    | >It's in a different place. Right-click "My Computer" and
    select manage. Go
    | >to Disk Management, right-click the drive you want to
    change, the option
    | >will be apparent. The only drives you cannot change are
    the system/boot
    | >volumes.
    |

    | Thanks Rick - nice not to have to restart as in win98se
    |
    | Thanks Jim, I customarily use R for my DVD burner and Z
    for my CDROM

Device Manager CD-Rom DVD Windows XP