MSI Announces New Entry-level Socket AM3+ Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I remain a little skeptical of MSI budget mobos after I bought an 870-G45 mobo from them and it came DOA. Unfortunately I made the mistake of not putting it in my system immediately, so by the time I tested it, it was too late to RMA. Since then I've heard of alot of other people having issues with entry level MSI mobos, but supposedly their high end models are amazing.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I've had a sketchy past with MSI as well, so they would have to do something fairly impressive to entice me to use them again. Furthermore, I don't see much impressive about this board anyway. I'm not even sure how competitive that price is.

G

MSI build an 890GX micro-atx successor with the AMD 990FX chipset and i am sold!

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
wish they would switch the 2nd x1 slot with the first PCI to be just above the 2nd x16 slot,,, a little surprised that manufacturers still interested in bringing out new AM3+ boards

^+1. If this continues the tradition of MSI's [cheaper] AMD board with VRMs that pop under load, it's no bargain at ANY price. I see this one dying in piles if overclocked.
This board actually looks fairly well-featured, IF aimed at non-savvy business users. They may not realize that AMD's AM3+ offerings pretty much need to be overclocked to offer decent performance. Such people buy in volume, but they are also very sensitive to quality issues.

zomow

Honorable
May 3, 2012
[citation][nom]shikamaru31789[/nom]Unfortunately I made the mistake of not putting it in my system immediately, so by the time I tested it, it was too late to RMA.[/citation]
How is that possible? RMA extend for at least 3years on a motherboard...

[citation][nom]shikamaru31789[/nom]I remain a little skeptical of MSI budget mobos after I bought an 870-G45 mobo from them and it came DOA. Unfortunately I made the mistake of not putting it in my system immediately, so by the time I tested it, it was too late to RMA. Since then I've heard of alot of other people having issues with entry level MSI mobos, but supposedly their high end models are amazing.[/citation]
So you have a sample size of ONE board that was faulty. Thats a great way to make a judgement about a company...................

threehosts

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I've had so much problems with MSI's motherboards (especially their AMD motherboards) that I can't be bothered to deal with them again.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]shikamaru31789[/nom]I remain a little skeptical of MSI budget mobos after I bought an 870-G45 mobo from them and it came DOA. Unfortunately I made the mistake of not putting it in my system immediately, so by the time I tested it, it was too late to RMA. Since then I've heard of alot of other people having issues with entry level MSI mobos, but supposedly their high end models are amazing.[/citation]

I've built over 1000 MSI based business oriented PCs. Yes, some boards come DOA, but it's under 5% (about 48 boards out of 1000), witch is better than the 10-11% of ASUS mobos that I get dead on arrival. Also they age better. Had less MSI based PCs break down then the ASUS pc's I used to build in the past. Very good mainboard maker.

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
[citation][nom]razzb3d[/nom]I've built over 1000 MSI based business oriented PCs. Yes, some boards come DOA, but it's under 5% (about 48 boards out of 1000), witch is better than the 10-11% of ASUS mobos that I get dead on arrival. Also they age better. Had less MSI based PCs break down then the ASUS pc's I used to build in the past. Very good mainboard maker.[/citation]

http://www.behardware.com/articles/881-2/components-returns-rates-7.html

Apparently the two brands are roughly equivalent in terms of reliability. Interestingly, both MSI and ASUS have particular models with unacceptably high return rates, whereas ASRock and Gigabyte do not, at least this past quarter.

Personally, I've always used Asus, and I couldn't be happier with their products.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
DISCLAIMER: I have happily used MANY Asus products.

Maybe someday they'll stop making boards that gives me no reasonable access to PCIE 1x Slots, and maybe throw in a 4x slot once in a while.

Why put the slots on there if we can't bloody use them.
They should have put the lower PCIE1x below the first PCI at least, which might still allow you to use both PCIE1x if they're half height, but wedging the second one below the top PCIE16x Graphics Card's heat sink assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.