Back Up my Windows 7 install onto another hard drive

kinglou

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Hello all! I am building a brand new system and I am going with a pretty decent SSD as my main drive and in the past even my traditional hard drives have failed where my OS install was causing me much stress because I lose work and time.

What software would you recommend to back up (clone) my Windows 7 install onto another hard drive. I would want the automated software to do this on a nightly bases. So if my main system drive fails I can point the boot disk to the "backup" drive and proceed as normal. Is this possible?

Thanks.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Couple ways you can go to image or incrementally backUp your Windows 7 installation

You can use the built in BackUp and Restore from your Win-7 installation. It images your system disk and then incrementally backs up what has changed. It is set to backUp once a week, but you can set a schedule as often as you want. It's a very good backUp system, and you use the DVD installation disk to start the Image restoration if something happens, or make a Restore startUp disk when you first set it up, with your drivers on it.
Fred Langa recently wrote about it entitled a backUp system you've already paid for.

Other way is to use Acronis True Image Home (~$49 but varies on sale) to Image your complete disk, or backUp whatever you wan on any schedule you want. You use the CD disk or create a startup disk with your drivers on it, to start the Image restoration if something happens

There are other products available, if you search for disk imaging software.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Acronis is an excellent solution. It has saved me thousands of hours of installation time.

I have found that Windows back-up seems to A), lower system performance somewhat, and B), it seems to be very greedy about disk space.

I think it must make backups of backups or something.

Anyway, I found it intrusive.