Sign in with
Your question

Kentsfield Released, Who's Buying?

Last response: in CPUs
November 2, 2006 7:00:02 AM

The title says it all really. It's only been a couple of months since Core 2 Duo CPUs were the fastest thing in the world, and now the Quadro is out as well. Some of those encoding benchies look really great!

Intel has managed to get it's quad core out before AMD's, but is this more of a technology parade than a feasible/sensible option for us regular folk?

Is anyone really going to invest in the new Quad core? Or are people going to 'stick with' their Duos for now?
November 2, 2006 7:14:39 AM

At the current prices, hell no!

Over time, as prices come down, I may upgrade to Kentsfield to replace my C2D.

I'd dig a Q6300 @ 1.86GHz that overclocks to 3GHz - that would be cool (or hot, literally!). Heh. :D 
November 2, 2006 8:04:32 AM

I'm waiting for clovertown, and then I'll see what's best for a "reasonable" price. The processor I am thinking is the E5320 (690$ estimated).

Before Intel releases its Kentsfield based Xeons it will release Clovertown Xeon DP processors. The new Clovertown Xeon DP processors are quad-core and multi-processor enabled. With a compatible LGA771 motherboard users can install two Clovertown processors in a system for eight-core computing. The new Xeons will arrive in X5355, E5345, E5320 and E5310 models clocked at 2.66, 2.33, 1.86 and 1.60 GHz respectively. Intel Xeon DP models X5355 and E5345 will have a 1,333 MHz front-side bus while the Xeon DP E5320 and E5310 have a slightly slower 1,066 MHz front-side bus. All Clovertown Xeon processors will have 8MB of L2 cache. Pricing for Intel Clovertown Xeon DP processors will be $1172, $851, $690 and $455 for models X5355, E5345, E5320 and E5310 in 1,000-unit lots respectively. Availability is expected later this quarter.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4253

edit: I'm thinking of buying quadcore because I use the pc for stuff like maya, 2dcad, photoshop...
Related resources
November 2, 2006 8:57:57 AM

Quote:
I'll wait until it comes down below $450. I do need its 4 cores tho and already knowing each core being higher binned can reach futher as long as I chill it which won't be a problem.

So yeh, wait(might be a long one, who knows).
This is where we all hope K8L does very well to down this Huge a$$ pricetag and give more options. Don't want to stir shite with this but I can't wait to see if the long wait for K8L will bring something significant. Till then I'll be trying to save my pennies for a C2D. Quad's outta my league.
November 2, 2006 9:46:54 AM

see... i think quad cores are too much and dual core's gonna be too little in a the next two years, if there was a triple core, i would probably swoop one up in my next build, but unfortunately there isn't and there probably will never be. i'm probably gonna build after summer 2007, so time will tell whether a quad will be worth the cash otherwise i'll have to go dual... and things are expensive here when they are new. e.g: the pentium D 2.8 cost about 2700SR($720) when it was about a month old so i don't know how much it'll cost by summer.

Ara
November 2, 2006 10:22:57 AM

That is a very interesting question. I don't think the quad core will see much action except for bragging rights and high end graphics and video studio's. Until the software can catch up there is really no benefit from having one.

Think about it about, 70% of computer users can still get by with older Athlon's and P4's.
November 2, 2006 10:47:19 AM

I might, when the price for quad cores is the same as today's crop of dual cores. By then AMD will have its quads out and if they perform better than Intel's offerings then I'll get one of those instead. I do have a Kentsfield compatible motherboard so I'll be tempted but for the time being no, I'm not buying. :) 
November 2, 2006 11:06:41 AM

Quote:
The title says it all really. It's only been a couple of months since Core 2 Duo CPUs were the fastest thing in the world, and now the Quadro is out as well. Some of those encoding benchies look really great!

Intel has managed to get it's quad core out before AMD's, but is this more of a technology parade than a feasible/sensible option for us regular folk?

Is anyone really going to invest in the new Quad core? Or are people going to 'stick with' their Duos for now?

Well, unless they want to spend more money for no improvements in games, sure they'll go for it. I think that 4x4 will do better in terms of improvement over X2. The point to point connection should give the OS a little more of a bump.
November 2, 2006 11:12:45 AM

Quote:
Before Intel releases its Kentsfield based Xeons it will release Clovertown Xeon DP processors. The new Clovertown Xeon DP processors are quad-core and multi-processor enabled. With a compatible LGA771 motherboard users can install two Clovertown processors in a system for eight-core computing.

The next time I invest in a new computer will likely be when the new QC Xeons turn up in the MacPro.

@ The people who argue about Kentsfield being for bragging rights at the moment, I agree to a point, but surely anyone who's willing to spend money just for bragging rights would have blown all their CPU cash on an X6800 earlier this year.

The swiftness of the delivery is also a little troubling to me - where can Intel now go with the Core 2? Are they just going to sit on their laurels for the next few years?
November 2, 2006 11:15:00 AM

Quote:
Well, unless they want to spend more money for no improvements in games, sure they'll go for it. I think that 4x4 will do better in terms of improvement over X2. The point to point connection should give the OS a little more of a bump.

So you're saying they shouldn't buy a Kentsfield because the would be 'Spend[ing] more money for no improvements in games'....and they should get 4x4 instead?!?!?!?!?!?!?
November 2, 2006 11:34:25 AM

I think what Baron's trying to say is that the 4x4's improvements over X2 are more pronounced than C2Q over C2D and therefore 4x4's performance will be competitive with C2Q. We'll find out soon enough. There are other considerations as well, like the two socket mobo, etc. but in terms of pure performance they might pull it off.
November 2, 2006 11:42:23 AM

I was going to wait for C2Q and get a QX6700, but I just bought an E6700 instead.

So few things right now use quad core, and they look to be double the price of the e6700 as well.

If that was it, I'd go for it, but the QX6700 is also a 120W TDP chip, about double that of the E6700, meaning I'd need a much better water loop to achieve the same overclock.

For the negligible benefit it will give me, I'd rather take the extra $500 I would have had to spend to get the Quad, and put it towards a second 8800GTX and run SLi.... (not that I have the first one yet, but I'd still be planning the first 8800GTX if I had gone for qx6700 instead)

Hmm now theres a thought... SLi 8800GTX.... *Goes to order a few more PSUs*
November 2, 2006 11:48:43 AM

I had intentions of buying quad, not for bragging rights but for lots of video work and future-proofing as far as I can. I saved a lot of $ for a month or two but for the last month have been "having fun" with my extra $ and am behind where I thought I'd be in my build savings.

So I either:

1. Wait a little longer, possibly as long as Jan to finish build and still get a quadro.

2. Just break down and buy an E6600 or something now and enjoy it for the time being and ignore the fact the quadro might save me 30mins-1hr average a night of my free time.

Tough choice. I know I would hate for my wife to realize what I'll be spending either way lol. But I get so few toys for myself, I figure I deserve whatever PC I want eh? lol
November 2, 2006 11:57:16 AM

Too expensive!!!

I want to have a great gaming rig, not just for christmas, but for the next one as well, but the EE version is just silly money.

I will wait til the bring out the Q version of E6600, by that time the G80 will be in stock and I have figured out what version of Vista to go for. Just hope the 4Gb ram to go with it will not be too expensive....
November 2, 2006 12:37:37 PM

I'll buy. Purely for testing purposes..... :wink:
November 2, 2006 12:45:28 PM

I will buy the top of the line when I am ready (saving $$). That will probably be around Jan or Feb. Vista should be out, dx10 as well (?). Quad Core's price should be down by then too. We'll see. Though, by then, I may still want to wait if I hear of something better in March or April lol. I've had my P4 3.0 for a long time now, I am so ready for an upgrade.
November 2, 2006 12:58:06 PM

Bastard. :lol: 
November 2, 2006 1:04:25 PM

You know it. I want to see its OC ability for myself vs the X6800, and 4x4 if I lose my mind and decide to buy it.
a c 96 à CPUs
November 2, 2006 1:05:20 PM

Assuming I was in the market for a new CPU (I am not) I'd not buy one until prices go down to sane levels. I'd never pay more than $400-450 for a single CPU and probably not more than $700 on two CPUs. More than that is just wasting your money as prices will go down significantly in a couple of months. Look at the Athlon 64 X2 prices from mid-2005 to early 2006 and you'll see what I mean.
a c 448 à CPUs
November 2, 2006 1:39:24 PM

Nice for bragging rights I suppose, but I don't really do anything that intensive which would justify spending money on it. The C2D is good enough for encoding video and playing the occasional game.
November 2, 2006 1:44:20 PM

I might buy one next year when I build a system to last me through college but not at the moment.
November 2, 2006 1:44:39 PM

Goddamn rich bastard... I can afford it, but I feel bad when I spend over 2k on my computer...

Most people here are enthusiasts, but more gaming than anything else... so most of us have no use for it... but for the select few that actually use their PC for productive purposes (And I really mean select few...) then they might really jump on this especially for some of the really nice performance increases it offers...

Me... I fall in the former category...
November 2, 2006 2:06:53 PM

Quote:
surely anyone who's willing to spend money just for bragging rights would have blown all their CPU cash on an X6800 earlier this year.

No way. I've got a friend with two X6800s and six 6600s. He has two Kentsfields on order. Some people have bucks to burn (not me!).
November 2, 2006 2:12:23 PM

Quote:
I'll wait until it comes down below $450. I do need its 4 cores tho and already knowing each core being higher binned can reach futher as long as I chill it which won't be a problem.

So yeh, wait(might be a long one, who knows).

I don't know what price I'm waiting for it to hit but I'm in the same basic holding pattern. I've got the need for more speed for image editing, rendering and modeling, but the two systems I'm using now aren't dogs, they are just slower than the new stuff. So a few more months of waiting might be worth the savings. I'm also waiting for good DDR2 to grow on trees.

It will be interesting in a year or so to see a high end Intel compared to the best AMDs and Macs for processor and graphics intensive apps.
a c 96 à CPUs
November 2, 2006 2:15:44 PM

Quote:

It will be interesting in a year or so to see a high end Intel compared to the best AMDs and Macs for processor and graphics intensive apps.

Um, doesn't Intel now make the chips for the Macs? :lol: 
November 2, 2006 2:28:57 PM

Quote:
I'm also waiting for good DDR2 to grow on trees.

November 2, 2006 2:37:50 PM

Quote:

Um, doesn't Intel now make the chips for the Macs? :lol: 

Right, obviously. And you think the chip is all that matters?
November 2, 2006 2:52:56 PM

Forgive my newbiness, but can't you just buy run 2 core 2 duo chips on dual socket board? or is that not possible?
I do 3d and video work and am interested in this chip, but not crazy about the price.
November 2, 2006 2:54:50 PM

"Conroe" core chips don't have the multiprocessor feature enabled. You have to look at the 5xxx and 7xxx series "Woodcrest" core Xeons for that. Those chips are much more expensive than Kentsfield and have some issues with memory bandwidth.
November 2, 2006 2:55:54 PM

yeah... there are many boards like that...

Workstation level boards, Asus makes a couple Tygan (I think) makes some more... shrug, I don't bother with them since like I said, their workstation and I primarily game with my home comp... work is where my company gives me a comp and I can't do anything about it.
November 2, 2006 3:05:49 PM

Those only work with either the 771 Xeons or the 775 PD's or P4's.
November 2, 2006 3:10:18 PM

Really? What about 4x4? Or are you going to leave someone else to burn a hole in the ozone layer?
November 2, 2006 3:22:29 PM

I'm still a bit uneasy about it. I see Netburst like heat coming from this thing. No matter what Baron says, I still think it'll need a 1kW PSU. Two GFX cards, two processors, X2 the RAM, hitting probably 8 to 10 sticks if you want a true 64 bit experience, OCing, and other components will keep this over the 750W mark.
Its a server, without server chips. But for now, I wait, and allocate a budget for it.
November 2, 2006 3:58:48 PM

Hah... well, I would take what Baron says with a 5 lb bag of salt. :p 

Anyway, I'll buy quad when the price is OK. I'm willing to spend ~$500 on a CPU, but above that it just seems pointless (since if you wait 6 months you will be able to get the same CPU for like $200).
November 2, 2006 4:02:33 PM

True dat. True dat.
November 2, 2006 4:24:24 PM

Okay, so the general consensus is that noone's gonna buy a Kentsfield right now, but a lot of people are going to look to buy one next year at some point.

Is it just the high price or is it that you've only just spent big $$$ on your new Core 2 Duo systems and don't want to fork out again so soon?

Personally I think this quad-core is falling victim to the whole Cold War-esque thing going on between Intel and AMD.
November 2, 2006 4:28:39 PM

Mister mesa is back again. :wink:

At the price it's now, I won't get it.

But when the price reach the 500$ or so, I'll definitly get it.. and running. In anything that include rendering or transcoding video it just crush Core2Duo that itself crushed A64FX a few months before. That isn't enough for you?

Then, what about games that will very shortly start to take advantage of it. Both UT2007, and Alan Wake will, and Crysis also I hope. Also, did you read Valve conference where they mention that quad-core are a big gain for gaming? Ususally that means they are working on something coming shortly. H-L3 maybe? 8)

And to finish, only for multi tasking. Imagine, first transcoding my new video while taking my message and looking at file being send by friends without slow down, then gaming while running my AV and spyware checker to make sure I didn't get byte by some nasty bugs :evil:  while surfing. With a game that is dual-core aware, that won't cause slowdown, except for loading scene, that I would have got otherwise.

To finish, how many of you were saing that dual-core was pointless when they came out only to say games needs it now? Think about it. :twisted:
November 2, 2006 4:30:57 PM

Personally its like I said earlier, the majority of us (which are gamers) have no need for it since it doesn't justify the price premium...

Even some of the entry level workstation people probably couldn't justify the premium even with the definite gains...

Only people I see this might be the money is no object crowd (Ninja, looking straight at you) or proffesional video editors and others
November 2, 2006 4:37:41 PM

Quote:
I'm still a bit uneasy about it. I see Netburst like heat coming from this thing. No matter what Baron says, I still think it'll need a 1kW PSU. Two GFX cards, two processors, X2 the RAM, hitting probably 8 to 10 sticks if you want a true 64 bit experience, OCing, and other components will keep this over the 750W mark.
Its a server, without server chips. But for now, I wait, and allocate a budget for it.

No offence Ninja, but in this case I hope you also feel uneasy about FX62 and upcoming FX74 4*4, because they'll consume just as much, which is about 130W.

I personally don't care that much about power drain, as long as it's within certain limit and performances is great. I think most poeple agree, since I don't ear much rumbling about FX62, 125+ Watts.

Question now is: How will 4*4 stands ahgainst Kentsfield? I honestly have not clue. I personally don't think it will gain back the performances crown from Intel at least. That because with multithreaded app, Kentsfield seems to be close to 100% faster than Conroem which is good. How could AMD do better? For me it's wait and see.
November 2, 2006 4:41:37 PM

Wait, I just thought of something... we already got 1 kg cpu coolers, and enough people are complaining about how they already add a huge cantilever force on the mobo's... so what happens when we stick 2 1kg cpu coolers on the new 4x4... would we snap the mobo in half?

What if we also add a northbridge chipset cooler... do we have enough room to fit all this?

Shrug... food for thought...
November 2, 2006 4:53:56 PM

Put a smile in my face. That was the part "within reasonable limit"

Seriously, I'm presently looking for a good water cooler for my next PC, but I wan't something sealed-up that I don't have to think about after. We'll all have to go that road I think eventually. My ears need it at least :wink: . I'm tired of that little sound of fan spinning. Well, my cpu at 48C under load sure likes it (P4C 3,0GHz), but...
November 2, 2006 4:54:13 PM

Speaking about CPU prices.
Does anybody knows how long take for a CPU to go from top to the mainstream and low end?
Sixth months for each step? Less or rather more than that?
November 2, 2006 4:58:04 PM

Heh, you can always go the other route... import air directly from Alaska...

Hmmmm... cpu from top to bottom... i can't see the X6800 being a bottom processor for at least 2 years.. probably 3... well.. bottom of a real processor, I'm not even counting Celeron's here... otherwise that might even be... 5 years? shrug...
November 2, 2006 4:58:23 PM

Quote:
Speaking about CPU prices.
Does anybody knows how long take for a CPU to go from top to the mainstream and low end?
Sixth months for each step? Less or rather more than that?

It all depends on how ferocious is the performances war between Intel and AMD. When Intel bring out something like the Core2Duo, AMD usually tend to bring a few of the lesser performing cpu in the low-end price to stay competitive. The other way around is also true.

In general I'd say about 6 months for performances to mainstream, and another 6-12 months from mainstream to low-end dependind on model.
November 2, 2006 5:02:15 PM

Quote:
Heh, you can always go the other route... import air directly from Alaska...

No need for Alaska, I live in the province of Quebec. :wink: Believe me, our winter in the north don't have anything to envy yours there. Brrr....

It's only that our politicians are more stupid (or lack balls when they need to take a decision), for anything else it all the same...
November 2, 2006 5:08:52 PM

I hope to.

Does anyone know when they will be available? Every online store states out of stock coming soon, but I've read where people already have them. What in the world?
November 2, 2006 5:10:55 PM

I have to admit I'd love one if I could afford it. Though I haven't seen any prices here in the UK I'd have a guess that it'll be the thick end of £1000 ($1900) seeing as the C2D extreme edition is around the £640/$1200 (VAT included) mark.

It'd see my render/encoding times drop like a brick though :)  .
November 3, 2006 2:07:50 AM

Quote:
Is it just the high price or is it that you've only just spent big $$$ on your new Core 2 Duo systems and don't want to fork out again so soon?

I haven't built a C2D system yet and it's not the price per se. I'm not convinced that C2D mobos are settled in in terms of performance, let alone bang per buck and I want to see if there is any significant evolution after designers have some time with the C2Q. Time is getting close for 4x4 but I have no big expectations. Could be interesting if they have four 1950Pros strapped on. Probably visible from Mars with an IR telescope.
November 3, 2006 2:09:12 AM

Quote:

Please send map to tree.
November 3, 2006 2:12:05 AM

Quote:

Please send map to tree.

Oh sh!t.......didnt you hear the news?

!