Problems with HP 3970 scanner and Windows XP

I recently got a new PC - my previous one had Windows 98 and an HP
3300C scanner. I tried to use the old scanner on my new Win XP system
but the software provided was only compatible with Win 98 and when I
downloaded the new software and driver from the HP site it worked just
once then went into a full on sulk, just showing the "busy" icon for
several minutes every time I tried to use it.

Eventually I gave up and bought a new scanner, HP scanjet 3970, but I
am having big problems with it. The photocopy part works OK but when I
try to scan with it I get the following message

"An unexpected internal error has occurred. Click OK to close the
program and then try one of the following

Restart the program
Restart the PC and try again
Reinstall the photo and imaging software and try again"

Naturally I have tried all three, several times over. And I'm still
getting the same error message. I've come to the conclusion that one
of two things is wrong

a) there is a fault in the software supplied with the new scanner
b) I have somehow failed to identify and remove all the files
connected with the old scanner.

Can anyone point me in the direction of anything I could try to
resolve the problem, and/or give me a full list of files I should be
looking for in order to ensure that everything connected with the old
scanner is completely gone?

Oh, one more thing that may be relevant, every time I reinstall the
new software I get a Windows warning message saying that the device
didn't meet the Windows XP Design Logo requirements and I should not
continue with the installation. As the scanner is clearly labelled
with the "designed for Windows XP" logo I continued anyway, but could
that mean that either the hardware or software is faulty and have some
bearing on the problem?

Many, many thanks

Jane
- -

remove PICKLE to reply to me

I had a similar problem with my 3970 Scanjet. Also a new Windows XP
computer. Try going to Start menu, all programs, Hewlett Packard, Scanjet
Scanner 3970 Series, System Diagnostics, click the device tab, click Imaging
Devices. Look for two drivers that are competing with each other. Uninstall
the one that isn't working if that is the case. Click on the HP Scanjet 3970
driver and see if it is working properly. Before you do this, be sure that
the USB cable is connected and the scanner is turned on. You might see other
drives there if you have a digital camera. Good luck,

"Jane Willis" <jm.willisPICKLE@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I recently got a new PC - my previous one had Windows 98 and an HP
> 3300C scanner. I tried to use the old scanner on my new Win XP system
> but the software provided was only compatible with Win 98 and when I
> downloaded the new software and driver from the HP site it worked just
> once then went into a full on sulk, just showing the "busy" icon for
> several minutes every time I tried to use it.
>
> Eventually I gave up and bought a new scanner, HP scanjet 3970, but I
> am having big problems with it. The photocopy part works OK but when I
> try to scan with it I get the following message
>
> "An unexpected internal error has occurred. Click OK to close the
> program and then try one of the following
>
> Restart the program
> Restart the PC and try again
> Reinstall the photo and imaging software and try again"
>
> Naturally I have tried all three, several times over. And I'm still
> getting the same error message. I've come to the conclusion that one
> of two things is wrong
>
> a) there is a fault in the software supplied with the new scanner
> b) I have somehow failed to identify and remove all the files
> connected with the old scanner.
>
> Can anyone point me in the direction of anything I could try to
> resolve the problem, and/or give me a full list of files I should be
> looking for in order to ensure that everything connected with the old
> scanner is completely gone?
>
> Oh, one more thing that may be relevant, every time I reinstall the
> new software I get a Windows warning message saying that the device
> didn't meet the Windows XP Design Logo requirements and I should not
> continue with the installation. As the scanner is clearly labelled
> with the "designed for Windows XP" logo I continued anyway, but could
> that mean that either the hardware or software is faulty and have some
> bearing on the problem?
>
> Many, many thanks
>
> Jane
> - -
>
> remove PICKLE to reply to me

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:42:51 -0600, "Larry Suddarth"
<suddarth@hal-pc.org> wrote:

>I had a similar problem with my 3970 Scanjet. Also a new Windows XP
>computer. Try going to Start menu, all programs, Hewlett Packard, Scanjet
>Scanner 3970 Series, System Diagnostics, click the device tab, click Imaging
>Devices. Look for two drivers that are competing with each other. Uninstall
>the one that isn't working if that is the case. Click on the HP Scanjet 3970
>driver and see if it is working properly. Before you do this, be sure that
>the USB cable is connected and the scanner is turned on. You might see other
>drives there if you have a digital camera. Good luck,

Thanks, Larry, I tried that but as soon as I click on Imaging Devices
I get an "hp diagnostics has encountered a problem and needs to close"
message. I thought I'd found the solution here
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&product=298548&dlc=en&docname=c00035386
so I worked through the fix, only to find that not only is the problem
still there but the HP photo management software that came with the PC
will no longer open and gives me a message about a missing file, so
now I'm in a worse position than when I started.

Jane

>"Jane Willis" <jm.willisPICKLE@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>I recently got a new PC - my previous one had Windows 98 and an HP
>> 3300C scanner. I tried to use the old scanner on my new Win XP system
>> but the software provided was only compatible with Win 98 and when I
>> downloaded the new software and driver from the HP site it worked just
>> once then went into a full on sulk, just showing the "busy" icon for
>> several minutes every time I tried to use it.
>>
>> Eventually I gave up and bought a new scanner, HP scanjet 3970, but I
>> am having big problems with it. The photocopy part works OK but when I
>> try to scan with it I get the following message
>>
>> "An unexpected internal error has occurred. Click OK to close the
>> program and then try one of the following
>>
>> Restart the program
>> Restart the PC and try again
>> Reinstall the photo and imaging software and try again"
>>
>> Naturally I have tried all three, several times over. And I'm still
>> getting the same error message. I've come to the conclusion that one
>> of two things is wrong
>>
>> a) there is a fault in the software supplied with the new scanner
>> b) I have somehow failed to identify and remove all the files
>> connected with the old scanner.
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the direction of anything I could try to
>> resolve the problem, and/or give me a full list of files I should be
>> looking for in order to ensure that everything connected with the old
>> scanner is completely gone?
>>
>> Oh, one more thing that may be relevant, every time I reinstall the
>> new software I get a Windows warning message saying that the device
>> didn't meet the Windows XP Design Logo requirements and I should not
>> continue with the installation. As the scanner is clearly labelled
>> with the "designed for Windows XP" logo I continued anyway, but could
>> that mean that either the hardware or software is faulty and have some
>> bearing on the problem?
>>
>> Many, many thanks
>>
>> Jane
>> - -
>>
>> remove PICKLE to reply to me

- -

remove PICKLE to reply to me

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 15:22:48 +0000, Jane Willis
<jm.willisPICKLE@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:42:51 -0600, "Larry Suddarth"
><suddarth@hal-pc.org> wrote:
>
>>I had a similar problem with my 3970 Scanjet. Also a new Windows XP
>>computer. Try going to Start menu, all programs, Hewlett Packard, Scanjet
>>Scanner 3970 Series, System Diagnostics, click the device tab, click Imaging
>>Devices. Look for two drivers that are competing with each other. Uninstall
>>the one that isn't working if that is the case. Click on the HP Scanjet 3970
>>driver and see if it is working properly. Before you do this, be sure that
>>the USB cable is connected and the scanner is turned on. You might see other
>>drives there if you have a digital camera. Good luck,
>
>Thanks, Larry, I tried that but as soon as I click on Imaging Devices
>I get an "hp diagnostics has encountered a problem and needs to close"
>message. I thought I'd found the solution here
>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&product=298548&dlc=en&docname=c00035386
>so I worked through the fix, only to find that not only is the problem
>still there but the HP photo management software that came with the PC
>will no longer open and gives me a message about a missing file, so
>now I'm in a worse position than when I started.

Following up to this for anyone who has similar problems, I restored
the system to a point before I installed the scanner, which at least
sorted out the other things it had corrupted, then called HP who after
a lot of humming and hah-ing and getting me to install it on my old
Win 98 PC (no trouble at all, worked perfectly first time) finally
admitted that they had had quite a few reported problems with the 3970
and Windows XP, and "there is a fix but it would be so complicated to
talk you through it you would be better off going back to the shop and
getting your money back" and "yes, we agree, we probably shouldn't
have the 'Designed for Windows XP' logo on the box"

Only about 30 hours of my time wasted then.

Jane
- -

remove PICKLE to reply to me

> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 15:22:48 +0000, Jane Willis
> <jm.willisPICKLE@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:42:51 -0600, "Larry Suddarth"
>><suddarth@hal-pc.org> wrote:
>>
>>>I had a similar problem with my 3970 Scanjet. Also a new Windows XP
>>>computer.called HP who after
> a lot of humming and hah-ing and getting me to install it on my old
> Win 98 PC (no trouble at all, worked perfectly first time) finally
> admitted that they had had quite a few reported problems with the 3970
> and Windows XP, and "there is a fix but it would be so complicated to
> talk you through it you would be better off going back to the shop and
> getting your money back" and "yes, we agree, we probably shouldn't
> have the 'Designed for Windows XP' logo on the box"
>

> Only about 30 hours of my time wasted then.
>
> Jane
Had loads of trouble with my HP4070 under XP. Three days on the phone and
by E-mail and ended up taking it back and getting a Canon.
Gord

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 15:22:48 +0000, Jane Willis <jm.willisPICKLE@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

And after this week, I have to wonder just how many problems that the minority
are having might just be related to a dirty CD ?
Reason I mention this, I just took a NEW CD, stuck it in 1 drive, stuck a blank
in the other drive and made a copy.

Same place same error or similar worded error in same program module every time
like clockwork. IOW: Not only reproducible, but PREDICTABLE as to what was
necessary to repeat the error.

I did 3 reinstalls. both from the original and the backup. You'd never expect a
NEW CD right out of the box to be dirty. Both CD's had the same error on them.
But ONLY on MY CD's others with this program couldn't duplicate the problem.

Probably just a thumbprint, but enough to cause trouble.
4th install after TP'ing the CD and it ran fine.

Scrapped Backup CD and made a new one. installed from backup and it worked.