Intel 2100 3A connection frequently drops during certain a..

Joe

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I have the Intel 2100 3A and have experience something extremely unusual. I
am able to stay connected to the router for most operations such as:

HTTP/ssh/Video streaming/Audio streaming

When I try to copy a large file (~500MB) through Windows file sharing (same
workground, etc), it drops the wireless connection and the File Copy error
reads:

Filename: invalid file handler

I also drop while using RealVNC.

Ive never run into an issue where it only affects certain activities. I
have two other computers wirelessly connected that transfer large files
perfectly fine, so I have ruled out the router as the source of the problem.
All computers are all WELL within range of the router (20 ft). Ive search
all over for a solution but see nothing pertaining to Windows XP per the
error message.

Ive tried back dating the Intel 2100 driver and still no luck. Ive turned
off firewall with no luck. Ive tried using the Intel ProSet software to
control the card and the same thing happens.

Im running out of things to try. If anyone has any advice please let me know.

Thanks,

Joe

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Archived from groups: (More info?)

when all else fails i have found that the fix is to buy a new card. i have
seen this a couple times, intermittant blue screens (on w2k), stalls during
large file transfers, random reboots, and after all sorts of reinstalls,
driver upgrades, router swapping, cable changing, etc, the final solution
was a new card... voila, no more problems.

"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the Intel 2100 3A and have experience something extremely unusual.
> am able to stay connected to the router for most operations such as:
>
> HTTP/ssh/Video streaming/Audio streaming
>
> When I try to copy a large file (~500MB) through Windows file sharing
> (same
> workground, etc), it drops the wireless connection and the File Copy error
> reads:
>
> Filename: invalid file handler
>
> I also drop while using RealVNC.
>
> Ive never run into an issue where it only affects certain activities. I
> have two other computers wirelessly connected that transfer large files
> perfectly fine, so I have ruled out the router as the source of the
> problem.
> All computers are all WELL within range of the router (20 ft). Ive search
> all over for a solution but see nothing pertaining to Windows XP per the
> error message.
>
> Ive tried back dating the Intel 2100 driver and still no luck. Ive turned
> off firewall with no luck. Ive tried using the Intel ProSet software to
> control the card and the same thing happens.
>
> Im running out of things to try. If anyone has any advice please let me
> know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

peter

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I can only say that I
have exactly the same feature, same card, cannot copy large files : invalid
file handling message as the network goes down,
and I was starting to doubt my computer skills until I read your remark.
I am getting very frustrated on networking of any sort with windows pcs at
the moment. But maybe it is just a card-issue.
Did you get this solved in the end ? How ?
thx
Peter

Clippe

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I know it's been months and months ince this was posted, but I just came upon it while having the same issue. Fortunately for me I was able to fix it, at least on my system.

The problem was a utility program called Dell Quickset. It seems it has a connection manager/monitor/somethingerother that just does NOt like you downloading anything. I don't know the exact name of the connection doodad because I got rid of it and didn't look back. Anyway, if you are having this problem on a Dell, you may want to look into removing/exiting/diabling that little annoying utility.

da534

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I was having the exact same problem with my Intel 2100 3A..

Seems to be an issue about letting Windows handle your wireless settings.
(Isn't that a surprise..)

Anyways,

I resolved the issue by doing 2 things:
1. Installing the latest drivers
2. Using Intel® PROSet to manage my wireless connections.

You can download PROSet and the latest drivers for the 2100 series here:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Detail_Desc.aspx?&DwnldID=9384&ProductID=944

Hope this wasn't just a fluke and that it helps someone out.