Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I have had this problem for over a year but have not had the time to try to
figure it out...my icon quality in some windows is very low.... in fact the
icons are pixelated if that makes sense. For example when I go to attach
something to an email a browse window opens and the icons on the left are
very low quality .. how can I get them to be sharper ... thanks.

Hi, Dave.

We might be able to offer better help if we knew a little more about your
computer. You can see it; we can't.

What are the settings in your Display Properties? What graphics card do you
have, built-in or add-on? Have you been to the graphics card maker's
website to be sure that you are using the latest WinXP-compatible drivers
for it?

What kind of monitor are you using? If it is an LCD, you might want to
click the Appearance tab in Display Properties, then the Effects... button.
In the second box, under Use the following method to smooth edges of screen
fonts, choose ClearType, rather than Standard.

If you tell us the make and model of your equipment, it might help us help
you.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Dave" <harr1s@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have had this problem for over a year but have not had the time to try to
>figure it out...my icon quality in some windows is very low.... in fact the
>icons are pixelated if that makes sense. For example when I go to attach
>something to an email a browse window opens and the icons on the left are
>very low quality .. how can I get them to be sharper ... thanks.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

HI RC,

Ok ... I have a P4 2.GHz .... with an ATI radeon 9600 card .... with the
most recent drivers ..... I am using a Benq FP931 with a DVI input... I have
the settings set to Clear type...
If you would like to see a screen shot of what I am trying to explain let me
know... it is a very low res image of the icons in that particular box and I
don't understand why... thanks ...

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:01:37 -0500, Dave wrote:

> I have had this problem for over a year but have not had the time to try to
> figure it out...my icon quality in some windows is very low.... in fact the
> icons are pixelated if that makes sense. For example when I go to attach
> something to an email a browse window opens and the icons on the left are
> very low quality .. how can I get them to be sharper ... thanks.

Windows XP supports icons using 16-bit or 32-bit color. The default is
32-bit. If the default setting is lost, icons will appear less crisp and
not as "rich" in color. To reset for 32-bit icons:

Open the registry editor (Start> Run> regedit)
Locate the following keys and check that they have the values that are
shown below. Change, if necessary:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
"Shell Icon BPP"="16"
"Shell Icon Size"="32"

You may need to log off and then log back on again for the change to be
apparent.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi, Dave.

That sounds like a pretty heavy-duty rig! (Mine is similar, but not quite
as strong: AMD Athlon 64 3200, AIW Radeon 9000, KDS 15" LCD, analog input,
ClearType, running at 1024x768)

I'm no expert on these things so a screen shot probably wouldn't do much for
me. Others here may be able to decipher it, but I suspect that the
additional info you've given will be more useful than a screen shot.

When I'm here in the Compose window of OE6 and click Insert, I have two
brings up a window with a list of files available for Attachment. The files
list includes small icons before the filenames, with different icons for
..jpg, .psd and .doc files, for example. These small icons are quite clear.

Choosing Text from file brings up a similar window with the title "Insert
Text File". In addition to the list of filenames (with small icons), this
window has the Common Tasks pane at the left showing text and icons for My
Recent Documents, My Computer, etc. These icons are in tiles about 1" high
on my screen. These icons are quite clear. We can turn off this pane in
Folder Options, but I don't see any option here to change the icons'
appearance in any way.

Is this Common Tasks pane where you are seeing the low-res icons?

RC