Icon Resolution

I have had this problem for over a year but have not had the time to try to
figure it out...my icon quality in some windows is very low.... in fact the
icons are pixelated if that makes sense. For example when I go to attach
something to an email a browse window opens and the icons on the left are
very low quality .. how can I get them to be sharper ... thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about icon resolution

    Hi, Dave.

    We might be able to offer better help if we knew a little more about your
    computer. You can see it; we can't.

    What are the settings in your Display Properties? What graphics card do you
    have, built-in or add-on? Have you been to the graphics card maker's
    website to be sure that you are using the latest WinXP-compatible drivers
    for it?

    What kind of monitor are you using? If it is an LCD, you might want to
    click the Appearance tab in Display Properties, then the Effects... button.
    In the second box, under Use the following method to smooth edges of screen
    fonts, choose ClearType, rather than Standard.

    If you tell us the make and model of your equipment, it might help us help
    you.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Dave" <harr1s@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have had this problem for over a year but have not had the time to try to
    >figure it out...my icon quality in some windows is very low.... in fact the
    >icons are pixelated if that makes sense. For example when I go to attach
    >something to an email a browse window opens and the icons on the left are
    >very low quality .. how can I get them to be sharper ... thanks.

    HI RC,

    Ok ... I have a P4 2.GHz .... with an ATI radeon 9600 card .... with the
    most recent drivers ..... I am using a Benq FP931 with a DVI input... I have
    the settings set to Clear type...
    If you would like to see a screen shot of what I am trying to explain let me
    know... it is a very low res image of the icons in that particular box and I
    don't understand why... thanks ...

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:01:37 -0500, Dave wrote:

    > I have had this problem for over a year but have not had the time to try to
    > figure it out...my icon quality in some windows is very low.... in fact the
    > icons are pixelated if that makes sense. For example when I go to attach
    > something to an email a browse window opens and the icons on the left are
    > very low quality .. how can I get them to be sharper ... thanks.

    Windows XP supports icons using 16-bit or 32-bit color. The default is
    32-bit. If the default setting is lost, icons will appear less crisp and
    not as "rich" in color. To reset for 32-bit icons:

    Open the registry editor (Start> Run> regedit)
    Locate the following keys and check that they have the values that are
    shown below. Change, if necessary:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
    "Shell Icon BPP"="16"
    "Shell Icon Size"="32"

    You may need to log off and then log back on again for the change to be
    apparent.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Hi, Dave.

    That sounds like a pretty heavy-duty rig! (Mine is similar, but not quite
    as strong: AMD Athlon 64 3200, AIW Radeon 9000, KDS 15" LCD, analog input,
    ClearType, running at 1024x768)

    I'm no expert on these things so a screen shot probably wouldn't do much for
    me. Others here may be able to decipher it, but I suspect that the
    additional info you've given will be more useful than a screen shot.

    When I'm here in the Compose window of OE6 and click Insert, I have two
    brings up a window with a list of files available for Attachment. The files
    list includes small icons before the filenames, with different icons for
    ..jpg, .psd and .doc files, for example. These small icons are quite clear.

    Choosing Text from file brings up a similar window with the title "Insert
    Text File". In addition to the list of filenames (with small icons), this
    window has the Common Tasks pane at the left showing text and icons for My
    Recent Documents, My Computer, etc. These icons are in tiles about 1" high
    on my screen. These icons are quite clear. We can turn off this pane in
    Folder Options, but I don't see any option here to change the icons'
    appearance in any way.

    Is this Common Tasks pane where you are seeing the low-res icons?

    RC
    --

    > HI RC,
    >
    > Ok ... I have a P4 2.GHz .... with an ATI radeon 9600 card .... with the
    > most recent drivers ..... I am using a Benq FP931 with a DVI input... I
    > have the settings set to Clear type...
    > If you would like to see a screen shot of what I am trying to explain let
    > me know... it is a very low res image of the icons in that particular box
    > and I don't understand why... thanks ...
    >

    > "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi, Dave.
    >>
    >> We might be able to offer better help if we knew a little more about your
    >> computer. You can see it; we can't.
    >>
    >> What are the settings in your Display Properties? What graphics card do
    >> you have, built-in or add-on? Have you been to the graphics card maker's
    >> website to be sure that you are using the latest WinXP-compatible drivers
    >> for it?
    >>
    >> What kind of monitor are you using? If it is an LCD, you might want to
    >> click the Appearance tab in Display Properties, then the Effects...
    >> button. In the second box, under Use the following method to smooth edges
    >> of screen fonts, choose ClearType, rather than Standard.
    >>
    >> If you tell us the make and model of your equipment, it might help us
    >> help you.
    >>
    >> RC
    >>
    >> "Dave" <harr1s@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have had this problem for over a year but have not had the time to try
    >>>to figure it out...my icon quality in some windows is very low.... in
    >>>fact the icons are pixelated if that makes sense. For example when I go
    >>>to attach something to an email a browse window opens and the icons on
    >>>the left are very low quality .. how can I get them to be sharper ...
    >>>thanks.

Resolution Microsoft Icons Windows XP